Zone1 Belief in God drops to 81 percent

The OP started this thread as if a drop in the percentage of those who believe in G-d is a good thing.

G-d tells us to do mitvot, give to charity, be kind, show compassion to animals, help care for the sick, honor our parents, don’t steal or bear false witness, and so much more.
Your personal values should tell you to do that.
You do it because it is the right thing to do, not because you are afraid of what God might do to you

Your personal values should tell you to do that.
You do it because it is the right thing to do, not because you are afraid of what God might do to you
I’m not afraid of what G-d might do to me. Don't be ridiculous - or insulting. The point is that G-d teaches good values. Why are you leftists so opposed to religion?

I’m not afraid of what G-d might do to me. Don't be ridiculous - or insulting. The point is that G-d teaches good values. Why are you leftists so opposed to religion?

Religious values are taught on a reward/punishment system with God watching everything you do

Parents should teach values by setting a good example and showing children that doing the right thing feels good

Religious values are taught on a reward/punishment system with God watching everything you do

Parents should teach values by setting a good example and showing children that doing the right thing feels good
No they’re not. For someone who is an atheist, you sure claim to know a lot about what G-d does.

And today’s parents, far too many of them, are failing at teaching good values - which is why crime is so high, teens are getting pregnant, and young adults feel entitled to being supported by the government.

That’s where religion can step in and try to compensate for poor parenting. Unfortunately, the liberal parents making excuses for crime and poor behavior are the least likely to send their kids to church or synagogue

He forgives them…..a hundred times over.
The Commandments are guidance to a blessed, joyful life--the way to eternal life. What say you?

While forgiveness is ever there, Jesus taught repentance of the sin--the turning away from committing that sin. This brings us back to the first statement--the Commandments. God wants us to have a blessed, joyful life. Can one be truly happy being a prostitute or committing adultery? Or, are there better options?

Who says she--or any one of the faithful--is afraid of what God might do to us? Isn't that an assumption on your part? It appears that some atheists project onto the faithful this supposed fear. Why?

Who says she--or any one of the faithful--is afraid of what God might do to us? Isn't that an assumption on your part? It appears that some atheists project onto the faithful this supposed fear. Why?
Exactly! I don’t do - or try to do - what G-d asks of me because I’m afraid of what He might do to me. I do it because i know that is what G-d wants of me.

Just as children are taught that touching a hot stove has consequences, it is the same with teaching them about sin. Later, in science class, it comes together when they learn about cause and effect.

God (religious faith) is our guide through the unknown territories life presents. He is there to help us through, not to kick us when we're down.

I don’t do - or try to do - what G-d asks of me because I’m afraid of what He might do to me. I do it because i know that is what G-d wants of me.
Yes! Expectations are very good for all of us. We all tend to live by what is expected of us, both from others and ourselves.

Just as children are taught that touching a hot stove has consequences, it is the same with teaching them about sin. Later, in science class, it comes together when they learn about cause and effect.

God (religious faith) is our guide through the unknown territories life presents. He is there to help us through, not to kick us when we're down.
Rightwinger’s comments are coming from someone with negativity toward religion, and toward people who find strength and guidance from G-d.

Yes! Expectations are very good for all of us. We all tend to live by what is expected of us, both from others and ourselves.
Yup. We are so on the same page on this.

In fact, i remember as a child asking what reward I would get if I did something good that G-d expected of me. The answer came back that G-d wants me to be a good person, and trying to meet that the best I could was reward enough.

comments are coming from someone with negativity toward religion, and toward people who find strength and guidance from G-d.
I see it as a not-knowing--or an ignorance--of God and the depths religious faith offers.

I offer the analogy between someone swimming on the surface of the ocean, through waves, and someone who prefers the calmness and beauty when swimming into the depths.

I've answered that question already many times. Check youtube.

What science is there that backs up evolution and atheism?
Prove your own claims.

and as I have said many times I am not an atheist.

IF gods exist and I don't know if they do or not I do not believe the god of the bible is one of them.

IF gods were actually proven to exist I still would not worship them.

Again, I know what happens to the atheists and the unforgiven in the afterlife. It's like one knows car mechanics, science, math or other educational areas, but Christians know it mentally, physically and spiritually.
Prove it.

Oh yeah you can't.

Rightwinger’s comments are coming from someone with negativity toward religion, and toward people who find strength and guidance from G-d.

Some people make a spectacle of their faith. It's self righteous bullying.

In fact, i remember as a child asking what reward I would get if I did something good that G-d expected of me. The answer came back that G-d wants me to be a good person, and trying to meet that the best I could was reward enough.
I remember Sister asking us if our parents rewarded us for every chore we did. The point was certain things are simply expected of us because of who we are. The ending questions: How many of us carry around a pocketful of rewards for whenever anyone is nice or helpful to us? Are we going to arrive in heaven with an armful of rewards for God?

Forum List

Back