🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A ‘State Of Mind’

I don't find what the moron said offensive at all. How many times have any of us ever heard, myself included, that we grew up poor, but never knew it. We had a roof over our head, 3 hot meals a day and plenty of sunshine and joy during those years and yet, I grew up in the projects, my mom worked in a kitchen and I'm sure she struggled, but we as kids, never knew it. So maybe that state of mind thing worked. Listen, we gotta learn to pick our battles, my fellow libs...this is a non effin issue. Ben Carson is an idiot, end of story.

You mentioned your mother....what kind of work did your father do?
All I know about my dad is that he and mom use to fight like cats and dogs because he was a drunk. I was also molested by this monster as a young child. He's never mentioned because I don't like the guy and glad he's dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRIVATE sector jobs MARCH 2010 - 107,379,000 (TRUMPS RECESSION BOTTOM)

Trump was president in 2010, shithead?....talk about morons...
lol.gif

Sorry cupcake, I forgot in right wing world ALL policy stops the day the next guy takes office, except of course the 17 year economic miracle created by Ronnie Reagan gutting taxes on the richest which drove Clinton's economy *shaking head*

I wasn't the one who invented fracking and made coal an obsolete energy source

Tell the half of the world still shivering in the dark when they run out of dried fecal matter to burn that coal is "obsolete"....you really haven't got a clue.

Solar Employs More People Than Oil, Coal, And Gas Combined In The US
Solar Employs More People Than Oil, Coal, And Gas Combined In The US

The number of coal mining jobs have been on a steady and steep decline over the last 30 years.

fredgraph_custom-834948ebe2830b1000af82a84bd1410cd56f9534-s1500-c85.png

I actually think Carson makes a valid point, the message probably could have been delivered a little better, but there is a big problem with the culture and mindset of our poor that can only be solved by better education, community programs, and positive influences to help them understand that anything is possible. There are many many kids out there that have no concept of what the old fashioned "American Dream" is. It would sure be great to bring that spirit back.

There is an old saying....

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

It makes a lot of sense except....What do you do when there are no more fish in the pond?

Poor communities are poor because economic opportunities have dried up. Not just in ghettos and slums but in rural communities in Appalachia and many farming communities

To imply that the people in these communities are suffering just because they lack "the right stuff" is simplistic and is damaging public policy

Until recently most people who moved and started over did so because their current situation sucked and they left seeking something better.

If we want them to stay where they are, things need to be brought to them, but not hand outs. When one provides a means to live without the need to work, one subsidizes the status quo.

We have had people living in Appalachia for generations, scratching out a living and taking government handouts to get by

Are these people stupid and lazy like Ben Carson claims?

he didn't say they were "stupid and lazy"

Please quote where he said that.

Lets see?

They are uneducated.......does that equate to stupid?
They are unwilling to work........does that equate to lazy?

We have seen plenty of stupid educated people, just look at the current crop of SJW's

Unwilling to work is not the same as lazy. They have been conditioned to accept handouts, not to try to better their situation.

I admit I am a lazy sack of shit, but I am able to overcome that due to a sense of purpose and responsibility.

Whatever floats your boat

That one didn't float anything but keeping kids up til 3am when they should have been sleeping so they could learn something in school the next day....not that there's anything to learn in the public schools anymore, but at least get something to eat...not that there's anything good to eat there anymore thanks to Mooch.
Go run a program and do it better then. You can cherry pick all the bad examples or failed efforts but that doesn't justify doing nothing. It only justifies a need to do it better.

Or doing something totally different.

Of course, you didn't consider that.

Why would you...you are a lefty.
That's what I just said. Doing something better means making changes, means doing something different you dupe.

Missed it again.

Maybe you get used to the fact that many government programs are built on flawed paradigms.

No matter how good they are, they miss the boat.

Sometimes you have to back to the very think you are trying to get done....and reflect on whether that is the right thing to do.

Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs

But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe. The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a Republican candidate for president, warned this fall that movement “up into the middle income is actually greater, the mobility in Europe, than it is in America.” National Review, a conservative thought leader, wrote that “most Western European and English-speaking nations have higher rates of mobility.” Even Representative Paul D. Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican who argues that overall mobility remains high, recently wrote that “mobility from the very bottom up” is “where the United States lags behind.”

Liberal commentators have long emphasized class, but the attention on the right is largely new.

...One reason for the mobility gap may be the depth of American poverty, which leaves poor children starting especially far behind. Another may be the unusually large premiums that American employers pay for college degrees. Since children generally follow their parents’ educational trajectory, that premium increases the importance of family background and stymies people with less schooling.

At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States to be less mobile than comparable nations

NYT

Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs

Five-Causes-of-Wage-Stagnation-in-the-United-States.jpg

trickle-down-economics-university-of-cambridge.jpeg

quote-reaganomics-that-makes-sense-to-me-it-means-if-you-don-t-have-enough-money-it-s-just-kevin-rooney-129-31-94.jpg

Whatever floats your boat

That one didn't float anything but keeping kids up til 3am when they should have been sleeping so they could learn something in school the next day....not that there's anything to learn in the public schools anymore, but at least get something to eat...not that there's anything good to eat there anymore thanks to Mooch.
Go run a program and do it better then. You can cherry pick all the bad examples or failed efforts but that doesn't justify doing nothing. It only justifies a need to do it better.

Or doing something totally different.

Of course, you didn't consider that.

Why would you...you are a lefty.
That's what I just said. Doing something better means making changes, means doing something different you dupe.

Missed it again.

Maybe you get used to the fact that many government programs are built on flawed paradigms.

No matter how good they are, they miss the boat.

Sometimes you have to back to the very think you are trying to get done....and reflect on whether that is the right thing to do.

"Maybe you get used to the fact that many government programs are built on flawed paradigms."

100% AGREE

c76d749dd2c9f16a44e286267b2bdfa055cbdd731178d1b340ccece24ee8c1d1.jpg

“So is hunger apparently. Let’s Jedi Mind trick ourselves into eating a steak.”

People on Twitter took Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson to task after he said that poverty was a “state of mind.”

The neurosurgeon, who previously caught heat for suggesting that slaves who were brought to America were “immigrants,” made the controversial comment during a SiriusXM Radio interview with Armstrong Williams released Wednesday.

”I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind,” said Carson. “You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee you in a little while they’ll be right back up there.”

Carson’s comments sparked anger among Twitter users, including “Star Trek” actor George Takei. Here’s a sampling:

More: Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A ‘State Of Mind,’ Folks On Twitter Give Him A Piece Of Theirs

Well, Carson certainly lit up Twitter with his bizarre comment about poverty. Some very funny and imaginative ones.

If anyone knows that Poverty is a state of mind, it is Ben Carson who drove himself from poverty to one of the premier neurosurgeons in the world.

“So is hunger apparently. Let’s Jedi Mind trick ourselves into eating a steak.”

People on Twitter took Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson to task after he said that poverty was a “state of mind.”

The neurosurgeon, who previously caught heat for suggesting that slaves who were brought to America were “immigrants,” made the controversial comment during a SiriusXM Radio interview with Armstrong Williams released Wednesday.

”I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind,” said Carson. “You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee you in a little while they’ll be right back up there.”

Carson’s comments sparked anger among Twitter users, including “Star Trek” actor George Takei. Here’s a sampling:

More: Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A ‘State Of Mind,’ Folks On Twitter Give Him A Piece Of Theirs

Well, Carson certainly lit up Twitter with his bizarre comment about poverty. Some very funny and imaginative ones.

If anyone knows that Poverty is a state of mind, it is Ben Carson who drove himself from poverty to one of the premier neurosurgeons in the world.

So the answer is that every poor person living in the projects is capable of being a famous neurosurgeon if they only apply themselves

Poor communities are poor because economic opportunities have dried up. Not just in ghettos and slums but in rural communities in Appalachia and many farming communities

As you know, and ignore, Ben Carson, Ph.D. grew up in a ghetto. His mother was 13 and his father 28 when they married. Anyone who doesn't KNOW that poverty is a state of mind is a far left Progressive who looks down on anyone they consider to be beneath themselves.

So the answer is that every poor person living in the projects is capable of being a famous neurosurgeon if they only apply themselves

Now you're just being foolish and a typical far left Progressive. But they can certainly follow some simple rules to get out of their predicament.

335c634e-9c1c-4ca8-be2f-e65ca04be327_zpsvl0xhqkf.jpg

So, just remember that if you're poor, sick, and hungry - it's only a state of mind.

Ca farmers are starting to cry about a lack of workers. I say take a look at the Welfare rolls and get them working.

Our welfare farmers in Cali have cried about that my entire life cupcake.

10945612_542014622580414_5593107270003607786_n.jpg

Oh lookie, Jonnies word of the day seems to be "cupcake". Gotta love those calendars.

As you know, and ignore, Ben Carson, Ph.D. grew up in a ghetto. His mother was 13 and his father 28 when they married. Anyone who doesn't KNOW that poverty is a state of mind is a far left Progressive who looks down on anyone they consider to be beneath themselves.

You respond to a nationwide problem with a sample of ONE solution

Carson is a freak'n smart guy who managed to work his way out
That doesn't mean the other 30 million people in poverty can do the same

I actually think Carson makes a valid point, the message probably could have been delivered a little better, but there is a big problem with the culture and mindset of our poor that can only be solved by better education, community programs, and positive influences to help them understand that anything is possible. There are many many kids out there that have no concept of what the old fashioned "American Dream" is. It would sure be great to bring that spirit back.

There is an old saying....

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

It makes a lot of sense except....What do you do when there are no more fish in the pond?

To imply that the people in these communities are suffering just because they lack "the right stuff" is simplistic and is damaging public policy
I agree with what you are saying but I also think that mindset is a huge factor as well. Having goals and being confident in these goals is more significant for children than people may think. My girl worked in low income schools for years and you would be shocked at how many children think they are going to be pop stars or professional athletes and if that doesn't work out they think that money comes from checks the government will mail them. That's all they know and they don't have good examples teaching them at home. These kids should be learning about economics, saving, budgeting, and cost of living in addition to the basic school subjects. They need to realize that college is obtainable and know what purpose education serves. I could go on all day but the fact remains that mindset is the engine that drives a persons actions and we still have a lot of work to do in our poor communities, especially for our children.

Forum List

Back