🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A ‘State Of Mind’

Of course poverty in America is a state of mind. Anyone not aware of that has their head buried deep in sand.
Poverty should only be a temporary state for anyone.

Of course poverty in America is a state of mind. Anyone not aware of that has their head buried deep in sand.

Wouldn't that be great!
Pay fair wages, provide opportunities in impoverished areas, help those who need help

Wouldn't that be great!
Pay fair wages, provide opportunities in impoverished areas, help those who need help

It would be.
But not today that is for sure.
Corporatism and it's closest partner - political corruption has removed all possibility of fair compensation. Wages is only a part of it.
In the past 20 years, corporatism has removed pensions, dissolved sick time, obliterated job security all in the name of higher profits.
But more than all of that - corporatism concentrates ownership. Instead of 150 owners of various businesses in a town, or area of a city, there are 20-30 core companies that own them all. Political corruption that passes laws and invents regulations that strengthens corporations and bury small businesses...not to mention massive tax breaks, easements and tax deferrals that small owners just can't get.

Corporatism has fundamentally changed America. And few know it.

Wouldn't that be great!
get marketable skills n pay not an issue. flippij burgers should NOT BE emt type pay.

Wouldn't that be great!

It would be.
Corporatism and it's closest partner - political corruption has removed all possibility of fair compensation. Wages is only a part of it.
In the past 20 years, corporatism has removed pensions, dissolved sick time, obliterated job security all in the name of higher profits.
But more than all of that - corporatism concentrates ownership. Instead of 150 owners of various businesses in a town, or area of a city, there are 20-30 core companies that own them all. Political corruption that passes laws and invents regulations that strengthens corporations and bury small businesses...not to mention massive tax breaks, easements and tax deferrals that small owners just can't get.

To be honest...Conservatives don't want all poor people working
Keep em hungry
Take away their food stamps and welfare after a few months
Make it so they will accept any job at any wage

High unemployment means lower wages

Don't want the government screwing with that

Wouldn't that be great!
get marketable skills n pay not an issue. flippij burgers should NOT BE emt type pay.

Are you drunk?
Everything you just said here has absolutely no bearing on what I said.
It doesn't matter where you work today, unless it is government, you don't have a pension. You also don't have sick days and your job security is way-way-way less tied to your skills than your corporation's whims.

Wouldn't that be great!

Sounds like a good idea but the job market will only accept so many rocket scientists. Someone has to flip the burgers and mop the floors
For some workers, that is all they are suitable for

Wouldn't that be great!

Are you drunk?
It doesn't matter where you work today, unless it is government, you don't have a pension. You also don't have sick days and your job security is way-way-way less tied to your skills than your corporation's whims.
are YOU drunk? i have a 401. i have sick days. i work for a corp. i got this job cause of skills,learned in life. not going WAH NOT FAIR.

Wouldn't that be great!

Sounds like a good idea but the job market will only accept so many rocket scientists. Someone has to flip the burgers and mop the floors
and the pay will equal those skills. flipping burgers was never meant to be a career.

Wouldn't that be great!

It would be.

To be honest...Conservatives don't want all poor people working
Keep em hungry
Take away their food stamps and welfare after a few months
Make it so they will accept any job at any wage

High unemployment means lower wages

Don't want the government screwing with that

It is way deeper than that.
One of China's top economic advisors, when asked "what is the greatest challenge facing China and America today" (on economics)...his answer was unexpected... "what to do with excess population". Excess population he was referring to was the fact that technology and outsourcing is continuously lowering the number of people needed - to serve the number of people in that society.
For instance, 20 years ago it might take1500 employed people to serve the needs and wants of every 5000 citizens of all ages. Today, it might only take 1000. So what to do about an economy that is needing less employees.
IMO - lowering the retirement age is a good start.

Wouldn't that be great!

Are you drunk?
are YOU drunk? i have a 401. i have sick days. i work for a corp. i got this job cause of skills,learned in life. not going WAH NOT FAIR.

A 401k is a far-far-far cry from the value of a pension. Not even close.
And PTO days are not sick days.
20 years ago people had, say, 20 vacation days and maybe 40 sick hours that could accumulate year over year to a max number. It was not uncommon for people to have 2-300 sick hours ON TOP of vacation. Companies just removed the sick time and called vacation hours - PTO.

Wouldn't that be great!

and the pay will equal those skills. flipping burgers was never meant to be a career.
Very true
But our economy USED to take care of our lower skilled workers. You could support a family on a janitors pay
Now, you need welfare

Wouldn't that be great!

Are you drunk?

A 401k is a far-far-far cry from the value of a pension. Not even close.
And PTO days are not sick days.
20 years ago people had, say, 20 vacation days and maybe 40 sick hours that could accumulate year over year to a max number. It was not uncommon for people to have 2-300 sick hours ON TOP of vacation. Companies just removed the sick time and called vacation hours - PTO.
how do you know what time i have n dont have?

Very true
But our economy USED to take care of our lower skilled workers. You could support a family on a janitors pay
Now, you need welfare

You will find no argument from me on that.
Corporatism has also found a way to make everything you do - a marketable cost...and to continue to find ways to increase that cost...while lowering their cost...which primarily is YOU.
In 1977 my dad bought a Malibu for just over $4000. My dad was a laborer at the time and earned $11 an hour. So the cost of the car is "worth" about 365 hours to him.
Today that same style of car, let's consider a decent packaged Ford Fusion is about $23,000.
A laborer working at a factory here makes about $18 an hour. Which equals 1277 needed hours to pay for the same style of car.
But WAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse is housing. In 1976 my parents bought a three bedroom home, decent yard etc. for $26,000!!!!!! - Which equals 2363 work hours.
Today that same house, here, cost roughly $130,000....7222 work hours!!!

And that list goes on and on and on and on.

Very true
Now, you need welfare

Corporatism has also found a way to make everything you do - a marketable cost...and to continue to find ways to increase that cost...while lowering their cost...which primarily is YOU.
In 1977 my dad bought a Malibu for just over $4000. My dad was a laborer at the time and earned $11 an hour. So the cost of the car is "worth" about 365 hours to him.
Today that same style of car, let's consider a decent packaged Ford Fusion is about $23,000.
A laborer working at a factory here makes about $18 an hour. Which equals 1277 needed hours to pay for the same style of car.
But WAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse is housing. In 1976 my parents bought a three bedroom home, decent yard etc. for $26,000!!!!!! - Which equals 2363 work hours.

Let's look at the hated minimum wage that conservatives rail about

I started working in the early 70s making a minimum wage of $2.10 an hour
I was able to put myself through college on that wage just working summers
You could buy a new car after six months work
You could buy seven gallons of gas for that car on one hours work

Why does anything need to be done FOR people in poverty?

Maybe because of his position as the Secretary of HUD?

Why do we help those in poverty?
Because that is what great democracies do

Help them do what ?
Get education, resources and work opportunity

So you are saying they don't have opportunity ?
I wrote one short sentence with 6 words and that's not even close to what I said. What's wrong with you, can you not understand basic English?

I asked a question.

Was there a problem with that.

The answer is either yes or no.

What is Ben Carson doing for those who are in poverty?

Why does anything need to be done FOR people in poverty?

Maybe because of his position as the Secretary of HUD?

Why do we help those in poverty?
Because that is what great democracies do

Help them do what ?

Food, shelter, healthcare for those who can't afford it
Educational, vocational, jobs programs
Obamaphones

And what great democracy has done all this in the past or is doing it now ?

I realize the Obamaphone is a joke...so you don't need to show that one.

Very true
Now, you need welfare

I think this is part of the problem that people seek to solve.

It used to be that you support a house and family as a gas station attendant.

Those types of jobs are gone.

At the same time, if you look at the size of the house people used to live in, compared to today.....nobody is building them.

And cars have so much more crap associated with them (airbags, emmissions controls, everything electric). It used to be that the working class could pretty much care for their cars. Now, they too must rely on mechanics and pay a disproportionate amount of income to pay for repairs.

Kids today drive nicer cars than our parents ever thought of owning.

So, I think that expectations is also an issue.

And BTW rightwinger ... I hope you realize and see, that if you took any 1000 conservative and 1000 liberals, removed the idiots and uniformed from both sides...so your left with 500 people overall...maybe...anyhow, you would find that virtually everyone in the room actually agrees on most of the issues that affect our lives the most. And even agree with the methods to fix those issues. We do.
But our politicians, on both sides, and the media - spend all of their time making sure the two sides stay at each other.
They make sure that hot political dividing issues stay at the fore-front. The last thing either side wants, in fact there WORSE NIGHTMARE..is for citizen Democrats and Republicans to start actually talking to each other.
So you have to decide for yourself...are you a divider or someone who wants solutions? Do you fall into the trap of politicians to keep fighting eachother...or so you want to fight the politicians who are constantly fucking us over - BOTH SIDES.

Very true
Now, you need welfare

Again no argument from me. None.
Corporatism is the enemy of both of us. And both Republicans and Democrats.
Today America is no longer a Democratic Republic. We are absolutely a Corporate Plutocracy. Absolutely.

Forum List

Back