Ben Carson wants to get rid of the VA..........

An Open Letter to Dr. Ben Carson from America’s Leading Veterans Organizations

[...]
Dr. Carson, as one of our nation’s preeminent medical practitioners, you are well positioned to work with us to promote needed reforms at the VA, reforms that will ensure this country keeps its promises to America’s veterans. We would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and open a dialogue about the benefits of a national health care system focused exclusively on veterans. America’s veterans have earned the right to a VA system that provides veteran-centric, high quality, accessible health care. We invite you to join with us in an effort to strengthen and reform the VA, not destroy it.

Respectfully,

Garry Augustine, Executive Director, Washington Headquarters, DAV

Robert E. Wallace, Executive Director, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States

Verna L. Jones, Executive Director, The American Legion

Homer S. Townsend, Jr., Executive Director, Paralyzed Veterans of America

Stewart M. Hickey, National Executive Director, AMVETS

Robert Puskar, National Commander, Military Order of the Purple Heart

Paul J. Rieckhoff, Executive Director, IAVA

VADM Norbert R. Ryan, Jr., USN (Ret), President, Military Officers Association of America

You know who disagrees with the "good" doctor? Veterans. All the major veterans organizations have denounced the idea of getting rid of the VA. Veterans actually like the care they receive at the VA...in overwhelming numbers.

All of the Veterans that died waiting to get an appointment at the VA didn't get a say in that discussion.

You know who disagrees with the "good" doctor? Veterans. All the major veterans organizations have denounced the idea of getting rid of the VA. Veterans actually like the care they receive at the VA...in overwhelming numbers.

All of the Veterans that died waiting to get an appointment at the VA didn't get a say in that discussion.

Why hasn't the Republican Congress increased funding for the VA?

Don't they care about all those vets dying?

I agree veterans should not have to drive a hundred or more miles to see a doctor
We made a promise to veterans that they would get health coverage. They should get a card that they can take to any doctor and the taxpayer picks up most of the bill. A savings plan is only good till the money runs out...veterans deserve better

Actually, if you live more than 50 miles away from the VA, or if it is hard for you to get to the VA, you CAN apply to see a doctor in your area under the Veteran's Choice Program.

Matter of fact, if it's going to take over 30 days for you to be seen by a VA doctor, you have the right at that time to apply for Veterans Choice. Matter of fact, because it took 40 days from the date of my appointment for a physical, they sent me a card and asked if I'd like to see a civilian doctor sooner.

The only people who say the VA is broken are those who haven't used it in the past year or so, because after all the stink last year over the VA hospitals, they moved kinda quickly to fix the problems.

Like I said.............if you're over 50 miles away from your VA, talk to the VA about the Veteran's Choice program.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...-questions-ben-carsons-faith-and-credentials/

“There is a lot of stuff we’re doing that doesn’t make any sense,” he said. “We don’t need a Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs should be folded in under the Department of Defense.”

Carson said he wants to provide all veterans with health savings accounts to pay for private-sector medical care and reserve defense-run veterans clinics for highly specialized care, like traumatic brain injury treatment and limb replacements.

Just a few hours after the remarks, leaders from the Veterans of Foreign Wars blasted the proposals as harmful to veterans.

“To suggest that disabled veterans could be sent out into the economy with a health savings account card overlooks the fact that civilian health care has waiting lists of their own … and presupposes that civilian doctors have the same skill sets as VA doctors, who see veterans of every age and malady every day,” VFW National Commander John Biedrzyck said in a statement.

Everyone in the GOP states how much they love our veterans. Ben Carson is an example of Republicans who don't.

I now have two friends who have died from the incompetence of the VA. It is time to get rid of them and get an organization together that actually will take care of our vets. The VA is too corrupt to be fixed. They all need to go and we need a start over.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...-questions-ben-carsons-faith-and-credentials/

“There is a lot of stuff we’re doing that doesn’t make any sense,” he said. “We don’t need a Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs should be folded in under the Department of Defense.”

Carson said he wants to provide all veterans with health savings accounts to pay for private-sector medical care and reserve defense-run veterans clinics for highly specialized care, like traumatic brain injury treatment and limb replacements.

Just a few hours after the remarks, leaders from the Veterans of Foreign Wars blasted the proposals as harmful to veterans.

“To suggest that disabled veterans could be sent out into the economy with a health savings account card overlooks the fact that civilian health care has waiting lists of their own … and presupposes that civilian doctors have the same skill sets as VA doctors, who see veterans of every age and malady every day,” VFW National Commander John Biedrzyck said in a statement.

Everyone in the GOP states how much they love our veterans. Ben Carson is an example of Republicans who don't.
Lol that's not true. The VA needs to be fixed.

Carson is a brilliant man I'm sure he's thought this through.

I agree veterans should not have to drive a hundred or more miles to see a doctor
We made a promise to veterans that they would get health coverage. They should get a card that they can take to any doctor and the taxpayer picks up most of the bill. A savings plan is only good till the money runs out...veterans deserve better

Actually, if you live more than 50 miles away from the VA, or if it is hard for you to get to the VA, you CAN apply to see a doctor in your area under the Veteran's Choice Program.

Matter of fact, if it's going to take over 30 days for you to be seen by a VA doctor, you have the right at that time to apply for Veterans Choice. Matter of fact, because it took 40 days from the date of my appointment for a physical, they sent me a card and asked if I'd like to see a civilian doctor sooner.

The only people who say the VA is broken are those who haven't used it in the past year or so, because after all the stink last year over the VA hospitals, they moved kinda quickly to fix the problems.

Like I said.............if you're over 50 miles away from your VA, talk to the VA about the Veteran's Choice program.
Thanks for the information

A lot of misinformation out there

REPUBLICANS SAY FUCK THE VETERANS!!! Cut, slash and burn is all that matters to these pieces of crap.

Reform the VA yes,,,Abolish it,,,fuck no!

I get sick of this extreme right wing hatred.
No

We hate redundant bureaucracies that serve only to grow in the same manner a leech does

The VA , like most government agency is a mismanaged, ineffecient, bureaucratic abyss delivering sub standard healthcare.

If any vet chooses the VA over private healthcare its because its cheap, like the care......

The VA , like most government agency is a mismanaged, ineffecient, bureaucratic abyss delivering sub standard healthcare.

If any vet chooses the VA over private healthcare its because its cheap, like the care......

We have been striping the VA for decades thinking the WWII and Korean vets will die out

The Bush wars has sent streams of vets needing care. The VA was unprepared

Time for the Republican Congress to start sending money

How is Carson's idea harmful to Vets. The current VA medical system is an absolute train wreck.

REPUBLICANS SAY FUCK THE VETERANS!!! Cut, slash and burn is all that matters to these pieces of crap.

Reform the VA yes,,,Abolish it,,,fuck no!

I get sick of this extreme right wing hatred.
How so?....
I think the salaries for enlisted members of the military should be doubled. The money can come from reducing salaries of overpaid middle and upper level managers and eliminating redundant government jobs. We can start by firing every person who has the title of "assistant to the assistant", deputy undersecretary to the assistant...Stupid shit like that.
Next. Reduce all House and Senate staffs by one half. There is no way a Senator or House member requires a staff of 30 or 40 people. They make over $175k per year. Let them do some of their own work.

The VA has been ignored for decades

When is the Republican Congress going to do something about it?

We have been striping the VA for decades thinking the WWII and Korean vets will die out

They want to.
Haven't looked deeper.
Did THE Obama veto this bill that called for an increase in funding?

House Republicans pass VA funding plan for fiscal 2016

They want to.
Haven't looked deeper.
Did THE Obama veto this bill that called for an increase in funding?

House Republicans pass VA funding plan for fiscal 2016
From your link...

But it comes in $1.4 billion under what the White House had requested for VA spending in fiscal 2016, money that department officials say will stymie construction efforts and reduce some medical care access.

Why are republicans holding back $1.4 billion?

How can we get vets care without more doctors and hospitals?

Forum List

Back