Best Stephen King Movies

Most of those movies I havenā€™t seen. I liked Shawshank, thought The Green Mile was weird.

1. Shawshank Redemption: Top ten movie ever made and the best prison picture

2. Stand By Me: Coming of age movie about kids walking down the railroad tracks to find a dead body

3. IT: Liked the TV version better than the movie, but Pennywise is damned scary

4. The Shining: Jack Nicholsonā€™s best movie terrorizing his family

5. The Green Mile: Another prison movie with Tom Hanks and Mr Jingles

6. Dolores Claiborne: Psychological thriller with Kathy Bates

7. Carrie: Kings first and made Sissy Spaceck a star

8. Dead Zone: Christopher Walkens best role as a man who emerges from a coma with special powers

9. Misery: Kathy Bates captures her favorite writer

10. Christine: Haunted car

!. Agree

2. A very good one but think several others on your list is better.

3. Agree TV version is clearly better for character development and good steady acting of the cast, and mainly true to the novel. The movie Pennywise was scarier, but then that was deliberate from the TV version who was supposed to have a mix of comedic/horror flair, the way King intended.

4. A good one, Nicholson was great but the TV mini series is what King intended and it is good too.

5. Good one

6. This is one of the best of all the King movies, badly underrated, Bates and Leigh were great together. The acting in the movie was very good.

7, Saw it back in the 1970's, once was enough for me.

8. Never saw it,

9. Misery with a great Bates performance, but the movie not very exciting to watch for me.

10. Disappointing for me.

===

Salems lot the original mini series was very good but the lead actor was disappointing, while James Mason and the Vampire were great, while the new version was good and the lead was better.

The Stand is good but slow moving at times, religious overtones all through it.

The Mist is adequate despite the bad ending.

Pet Sematary is good.

Solver Bullet is pretty good.

The remaining movies not so good.

Most of those movies I havenā€™t seen. I liked Shawshank, thought The Green Mile was weird.

I think King has had about 50 of his stories made into movies
Never read any of his books. One of these days Iā€™ll read The Stand.

Do it. I've read it three times. Two different versions. The original publication, then the unedited author's version, then the original again just to compare the two.

Some of the better ones were from short stories... Stand By Me being the best example, Children of the Corn perhaps the worst.

Shawshank was also a short story

Indeed it was, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Thanks for the reminder. They released it last year as a standalone book.

Pretty good list, but I would not have Shawshank Redemption at the top. It is a very good film, but I would put Green Mile ahead of it.
Also, Misery belongs in the top 5.
I also agree that the TV version of IT was better than the movie.

Pretty good list, but I would not have Shawshank Redemption at the top. It is a very good film, but I would put Green Mile ahead of it.
Also, Misery belongs in the top 5.
I also agree that the TV version of IT was better than the movie.

I put two Kathy Bates films in my top ten because both were very good.
I just found Misery more cringeworthy and the character of Annie more cartoonish.
Though not as popular as Misery, I thought Dolores Claiborne was better written and acted. While neither Annie or Dolores were likable, I thought Dolores was more realistic.

Because I love actor Bronson Pinchot so much, The Langoliers is my favorite Stephen King picture. I love to hear Bronson tell about his getting to be in the film.

God bless you and Bronson always!!!

Holly

Because I love actor Bronson Pinchot so much, The Langoliers is my favorite Stephen King picture. I love to hear Bronson tell about his getting to be in the film.

God bless you and Bronson always!!!

Holly

Ohh I forgot that Mini Series.

It is good but slow plot development and the ending not that scary at all.....

I own many of the S. Kings movies but some I have NO desire to buy because they not good.

Some of the better ones were from short stories... Stand By Me being the best example, Children of the Corn perhaps the worst.
I remember renting the VHS of Children of the Corn, and we didn't even finish watching it.
IMO - Stand by Me, though a really good movie, would have been a great movie if it wasn't for the annoying distractions of the main character telling bizarre stories. The whole vomit story was dumb and detracted from the more serious tone.

1. Shawshank Redemption: Top ten movie ever made and the best prison picture

2. Stand By Me: Coming of age movie about kids walking down the railroad tracks to find a dead body

3. IT: Liked the TV version better than the movie, but Pennywise is damned scary

4. The Shining: Jack Nicholsonā€™s best movie terrorizing his family

5. The Green Mile: Another prison movie with Tom Hanks and Mr Jingles

6. Dolores Claiborne: Psychological thriller with Kathy Bates

7. Carrie: Kings first and made Sissy Spaceck a star

8. Dead Zone: Christopher Walkens best role as a man who emerges from a coma with special powers

9. Misery: Kathy Bates captures her favorite writer

10. Christine: Haunted car
The Shawshank Redemption. best non-horror movie.
The Shinning, best horror movie
The Stand, best book.

"Silver Bullet" was developed from Cycle of the Werewolf.

I liked it the most, though it was probably a minor favorite among fans.

It was only a TV series but I thought that "Salem's Lot" was King's best film adaptation. King had cameos in most of his movies and I think "The Stand" was the longest in his acting career.

Forum List

Back