🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bible may have been written earlier than believed

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting how things like this can be inferred from the old relics dug up. It's nice to know that men in the area were literate at that time.

Apr 12th 2016 12:50PM

When the Bible was written has long been a point of debate among scholars.

Researchers from Tel Aviv University say that they have compelling evidence the Old Testament was scribed sooner rather than later, reports the New York Times.

SEE ALSO: Paul Ryan to speak out on rumors he's running for president

Much of the current thinking on the matter places the Bible's transition from being an orally transmitted history to a documented one after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. and the subsequent exile of the Jews.

However, the researchers found evidence that high levels of literacy existed in the region before the fall, and not necessarily after.

Continue reading at:

Interesting how things like this can be inferred from the old relics dug up. It's nice to know that men in the area were literate at that time.

Researchers from Tel Aviv University say that they have compelling evidence the Old Testament was scribed sooner rather than later, reports the New York Times.

Much of the current thinking on the matter places the Bible's transition from being an orally transmitted history to a documented one after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. and the subsequent exile of the Jews.

However, the researchers found evidence that high levels of literacy existed in the region before the fall, and not necessarily after.

Continue reading at:

We weren't so dumb back then that we wouldn't keep track of exactly when moses came stumbling down that mountain. I think I'd remember the date I saw someone part a sea. The fact that dates are vague when in other parts of the world history was being recorded. Why did God visit such a backward part of the world and tell his story to so few?

When did moses exist?

So they found evidence of maybe 6 individuals that could write so they've rewritten history? It should be LOL, not AOL.

They were probably more literate than you are now.

Ancient shopping lists may reveal when Bible was written - Times of India?
Aw, did I hurt your feelings? Good. Asshole!
So they found evidence of maybe 6 individuals that could write so they've rewritten history? It should be LOL, not AOL.

Such couth!!! A literate person has a wider vocabulary that he doesn't have to resort to utilizing such a word commonly used by illiterates.

Continue reading at:

We weren't so dumb back then that we wouldn't keep track of exactly when moses came stumbling down that mountain. I think I'd remember the date I saw someone part a sea. The fact that dates are vague when in other parts of the world history was being recorded. Why did God visit such a backward part of the world and tell his story to so few?

When did moses exist?

With all the old relics found today all over the world and being able to carbon date things, I really believe hat the scientists are able to pinpoint an age when these things were originally built or written. Whether others want to believe it is up to them. There are probably those who say that the Dead Sea Scrolls are a fake also.

Handwriting Dating to the Seventh Century B.C. Analyzed - Archaeology Magazine?

As for Moses, you should pose your question to others who study Bible history. I once read that Professor Menasche Harel of Hebrew University said that it was actually called the Reed Sea, and the Egyptian soldiers drowned when the tide came in. Isn't it in the recent past that the remains of a chariot were found on the sea's floor? If the Professor is still alive, perhaps you can E-mail him and ask him the questions that you have about Moses.

Such couth!!! A literate person has a wider vocabulary that he doesn't have to resort to utilizing such a word commonly used by illiterates.
How about smug bitch instead? You don't even know what the word illiterate means, that's the height of irony right there.

I pointed out your OP was thinner than paper and you got all indignant so go pound sand up your whatever.

How about smug bitch instead? You don't even know what the word illiterate means, that's the height of irony right there.

I pointed out your OP was thinner than paper and you got all indignant so go pound sand up your whatever.

the OP is not thin at all-------HISTORY of a people who are literate tends to get WRITTEN SOMEWHERE----and tiny tiny bits of it-------found inscribed here and
there DOES CONSTITUTE good evidence that it was WRITTEN. Most writings---
unless very carefully preserved in the BEST of circumstances-----(like the sealed
booby trapped stone pyramids)--------SIMPLY, does not survive. Vege ink on
parchment------don't last

the OP is not thin at all-------HISTORY of a people who are literate tends to get WRITTEN SOMEWHERE----and tiny tiny bits of it-------found inscribed here and
unless very carefully preserved in the BEST of circumstances-----(like the sealed
Evidence of writing is evidence of a written language, not widespread literacy. I'd be very suspicious of it, since there's no evidence yet and most folks were busy busting their humps all day with no machines around to do the work. Plus books were extremely expensive to produce, because of the machine thing.

Evidence of writing is evidence of a written language, not widespread literacy. I'd be very suspicious of it, since there's no evidence yet and most folks were busy busting their humps all day with no machines around to do the work. Plus books were extremely expensive to produce, because of the machine thing.

ok of course-------those hieroglyphics came in the form of mass produced
printed books------when was the first MASS PRINTING of the BAGHAVAD GITA?.
Literacy was wide spread amongst males------in Judea----2500 years ago----there are written records regarding that issue-----Illiteracy was considered a gross failing of family and community. BOOKS? I am not even sure when books were invented

Literacy was wide spread amongst males------in Judea----2500 years ago----there are written records regarding that issue-----Illiteracy was considered a gross failing of family and community. BOOKS? I am not even sure when books were invented
Reading didn't become common until Gutenberg invented the printing press. Rabbis had to know, and I doubt all of them but the common man had no scrolls to read at all.

There certainly were many literate people years and years ago or else people wouldn't have been able to read the works of those who came up with the following:

There is Euclid known as the Father of Geometry who lived about about 325 BC - about 265 BC
Then this is Hipparchus who is known as the Father of Trigonometry and who lived between 190-120 B.C

Let us no forget Hippocrates who was born around 460 b.c.Hippocrates,

One thing you have to hand it to the Greeks for -- they didn't have to wait for the invention of the printing press to show that they were literate.

1. upload_2016-4-18_21-12-19.jpeg
    In the context of the art, architecture, and culture of AncientGreece, theClassical period, sometimes called the Hellenicperiod, corresponds to most of the 5th and 4th centuries BC (the most common dates being the fall of the last Athenian tyrant in 510 BC to the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC).

Many people in Egypt no doubt enjoyed spending their time in the library at Alexandria.

TheRoyal Library of AlexandriaorAncient Library of AlexandriainAlexandria,Egypt, was one of the largest and most significantlibraries of the ancient world. It was dedicated to theMuses, the nine goddesses of the arts.[1]It flourished under the patronage of thePtolemaic dynastyand functioned as a major center of scholarship from its construction in the 3rd century BCE until the Roman conquest of Egypt in 30 BCE, with collections of works, lecture halls, meeting rooms, and gardens. The library was part of a larger research institution called theMusaeum of Alexandria, where many of the most famous thinkers of the ancient world studied.

The library was created byPtolemy I Soter, who was a Macedonian general and the successor ofAlexander the Great.[2]Most of the books were kept aspapyrusscrolls. It is unknown how many such scrolls were housed at any given time.

There certainly were many literate people years and years ago or else people wouldn't have been able to read the works of those who came up with the following:

There is Euclid known as the Father of Geometry who lived about about 325 BC - about 265 BC
Then this is Hipparchus who is known as the Father of Trigonometry and who lived between 190-120 B.C

Let us no forget Hippocrates who was born around 460 b.c.Hippocrates,

One thing you have to hand it to the Greeks for -- they didn't have to wait for the invention of the printing press to show that they were literate.

1. View attachment 71927
    In the context of the art, architecture, and culture of AncientGreece, theClassical period, sometimes called the Hellenicperiod, corresponds to most of the 5th and 4th centuries BC (the most common dates being the fall of the last Athenian tyrant in 510 BC to the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC).

Many people in Egypt no doubt enjoyed spending their time in the library at Alexandria.

TheRoyal Library of AlexandriaorAncient Library of AlexandriainAlexandria,Egypt, was one of the largest and most significantlibraries of the ancient world. It was dedicated to theMuses, the nine goddesses of the arts.[1]It flourished under the patronage of thePtolemaic dynastyand functioned as a major center of scholarship from its construction in the 3rd century BCE until the Roman conquest of Egypt in 30 BCE, with collections of works, lecture halls, meeting rooms, and gardens. The library was part of a larger research institution called theMusaeum of Alexandria, where many of the most famous thinkers of the ancient world studied.

The library was created byPtolemy I Soter, who was a Macedonian general and the successor ofAlexander the Great.[2]Most of the books were kept aspapyrusscrolls. It is unknown how many such scrolls were housed at any given time.

So far you haven't even backed up your first claim so you've shifted over to Greece and Egypt. Yes, they had a written language, that's not in dispute. Your contention is that it was common among the population. You need to support that before you start building on the foundation, otherwise it all topples over.

Amazing vocabulary on this trailer trash Nazi weasel. I suspect at best it managed to make it to 3rd grade.

Forum List

Back