Biden administration and social media censorship.

ThunderKiss1965

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2015
GNO
Mark Zuckerberg admits that the Biden Administration pressured Meta into censoring US citizens. Vehemently denied by the loons on the left now we have direct conformation.

Mark Zuckerberg admits that the Biden Administration pressured Meta into censoring US citizens. Vehemently denied by the loons on the left now we have direct conformation.

What is your right to free speech? Does it mean you have the right to say anything you want, wherever you want?

The UK is locking up people who incited violence on social media, and their riots lasted less than a week. In the US nothing was done about it and the violence went on for a long time.

""Ultimately, it was our decision whether or not to take content down, and we own our decisions, including COVID-19-related changes we made to our enforcement in the wake of this pressure," Zuckerberg wrote. "I believe the government pressure was wrong, and I regret that we were not more outspoken about it."

So, the government went and said "we'd like you to take this down" and they said "no" and that was that.

What's wrong with that? They didn't lock anyone up, which is what freedom of speech is all about.

What is your right to free speech? Does it mean you have the right to say anything you want, wherever you want?

The UK is locking up people who incited violence on social media, and their riots lasted less than a week. In the US nothing was done about it and the violence went on for a long time.

""Ultimately, it was our decision whether or not to take content down, and we own our decisions, including COVID-19-related changes we made to our enforcement in the wake of this pressure," Zuckerberg wrote. "I believe the government pressure was wrong, and I regret that we were not more outspoken about it."

So, the government went and said "we'd like you to take this down" and they said "no" and that was that.

What's wrong with that? They didn't lock anyone up, which is what freedom of speech is all about.
The point is that Biden should NEVER have made that request of Meta in the first place.

Are these guys still bitching about the Covid response from social media 4 years later? Get a life folks.

Because it violated the very principle of free speech. Anyone who takes the 1st Amendment seriously would never have entertained the idea of even making the request.

No, it didn't.

Do you understand free speech????

Literally had they gone to Meta and said "do this, or there will be consequences" then yes, it might have violated the 1A.

They didn't.

Free speech in this case is: The government can say whatever it likes, as long as it doesn't lock people up for speech which is protected.

They didn't do this.

~~~~~~

No, it didn't.

Yes, it did.
Do you understand free speech????

Do you?
Literally had they gone to Meta and said "do this, or there will be consequences" then yes, it might have violated the 1A.

Not what I said. I did not say it violated the 1st Amendment, I said it violated the principle of the 1st Amendment.
They didn't.

Free speech in this case is: The government can say whatever it likes, as long as it doesn't lock people up for speech which is protected.

They didn't do this.
No, they didn’t. But Biden, who took an oath to uphold the Constitution, should not have even made the request.

And now that the POTUS made the request of a social media company and the company acquiesced, a precedent has been set. Look for more invasive and bolder attempts in the future.

Yes, it did.

Do you?

Not what I said. I did not say it violated the 1st Amendment, I said it violated the principle of the 1st Amendment.

No, they didn’t. But Biden, who took an oath to uphold the Constitution, should not have even made the request.

And now that the POTUS made the request of a social media company and the company acquiesced, a precedent has been set. Look for more invasive and bolder attempts in the future.

I suggest you go learn about rights first before you attempt to have this conversation with someone who understands what rights are.

On what do you base this? Have I said the 1st Amendment was violated? I distinctly remember telling you I didn’t say it was.

So what, exactly, do you think I need to learn here?

Yeah, you did.

"Because it violated the very principle of free speech."

If it violated the "very principle" of free speech, then it violated free speech. Either it did, or it didn't.

Right now you're saying it didn't, but it did.

Not a good place for a healthy conversation, is it?

This is why they are called demafacist

Yeah, you did.

"Because it violated the very principle of free speech."

If it violated the "very principle" of free speech, then it violated free speech. Either it did, or it didn't.

Right now you're saying it didn't, but it did.

Not a good place for a healthy conversation, is it?
Do you understand what the word “principle” means? In this context, “principle” refers to the meaning or nature or spirit of the idea.

The principle of the 1st Amendment is the right to say what we want without government infringement.

Biden did not violate the letter of the 1st Amendment. But he did, as President and the head of the government, act against the spirit, meaning, nature or principle of the 1A when he conspired with a social media company to censor the opinions of American citizens.

He did not threaten government action but he made the request and censorship occurred at his behest.

Do you understand what the word “principle” means? In this context, “principle” refers to the meaning or nature or spirit of the idea.

The principle of the 1st Amendment is the right to say what we want without government infringement.

Biden did not violate the letter of the 1st Amendment. But he did, as President and the head of the government, act against the spirit, meaning, nature or principle of the 1A when he conspired with a social media company to censor the opinions of American citizens.

He did not threaten government action but he made the request and censorship occurred at his behest.

Yeah, I know what "principle" means.

The "principle" of the freedom of speech is this: You can say whatever you like, as long as it doesn't infringe other people's freedoms.

So, Biden can say whatever he likes, as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's freedoms. Which means he can go to Meta and say "hey guys, I don't like what's being posted, can you take it down?"

Meta can say "fuck you" or "we're ever so sorry sire, but we would rather not" or whatever.

And that's what happened.

The "principle" is, and always has been (since freedom of speech became enshrined in the US Constitution at least) that you don't get locked up, or fined or punished by the government if you say what isn't infringing on the rights of others.

Naturally. This is always what bloated.government pursues. Wait until the history challenged people defend their actions on here, They will claim it is.for "your safety". As if not allowing the truth about a laptop for instance has anything to do with your safety. It's akin to the argument to vote for nothing in order to "save democracy". Frightening how quickly people.will just not trust media any more, trust is at an all time low. All self inflicted really. They do.remember the pre-Soviet world before they collapsed don't they?

Forum List

Back