Biden Claims Drunk Driving Isn't A Felony

Once again.....the media gives us a false impression. They destroyed the lives of untold politicians for driving drunk. Now, because Pelosi's husband did it....it's not a bad thing anymore.

Also....when I was in the military you could get booted out of the service for DUI.

So....is it okay for me to chug a bunch of shots of Rum and go driving now?

Again, it depends on the circumstances which resulted in a DUI. And, being charged with a DUI doesn't necessarily mean that you will be booted out of the military. I remember a First Class who was convicted of a DUI while I was stationed with VFA-131 (had to do the paperwork on it as I was in Personnel) and he only ended up going to Captain's Mast, served 45 days restriction, with a suspended forfeiture of pay, suspended bust (both for 6 months) and was kept in. If he would have messed up and gotten another DUI, then he may have ended up getting booted, but as far as I know, that was his only conviction, and he served until he retired.

Once again.....the media gives us a false impression. They destroyed the lives of untold politicians for driving drunk. Now, because Pelosi's husband did it....it's not a bad thing anymore.

Also....when I was in the military you could get booted out of the service for DUI.

So....is it okay for me to chug a bunch of shots of Rum and go driving now?
Pelosi's husband is not a politician. Do you know who he works for?

Himself.

Again, it depends on the circumstances which resulted in a DUI. And, being charged with a DUI doesn't necessarily mean that you will be booted out of the military. I remember a First Class who was convicted of a DUI while I was stationed with VFA-131 (had to do the paperwork on it as I was in Personnel) and he only ended up going to Captain's Mast, served 45 days restriction, with a suspended forfeiture of pay, suspended bust (both for 6 months) and was kept in. If he would have messed up and gotten another DUI, then he may have ended up getting booted, but as far as I know, that was his only conviction, and he served until he retired.
I got a DUI in the army and all I had to do was a piss test and that was it.

But in some cases it is a felony......end of discussion.

Yes, in some cases, depending on the circumstances, it can be considered a felony, but for the first conviction, it is considered a misdemeanor. You need to consider all the circumstances of each offense before passing blanket judgement. End of discussion.

Plain old DUI is a misdemeanor I don't care what shit you throw the other conditions that make it a felony were not suggested in the OP.
The point is whether or not Biden actually said "“I don’t count drunk driving as a felony” as if it is just a simple case of misjudgment.
And tell that to the families of the 10,000+ people killed by drunk drivers last year (which is down substantially from previous years).

Joe Biden rendered VICE talkshow hosts speechless when he made a claim that Drunk-Driving wasn't a felony.

Generally, it's possible to be convicted of a DUI as a misdemeanor or a felony. A standard first offense is almost always going to be a misdemeanor. But a DUI offender who kills or seriously injures another person is typically looking at felony charges—even if it's the person's first offense. (A driver could also face vehicular homicide charges for a DUI-related killing.)

Having prior DUI convictions can also elevate a DUI to a felony. In some states, first and second DUI offenses are misdemeanors but a third or subsequent conviction is a felony.

There are also states that make a DUI a felony if the driver had a particularly high blood alcohol concentration (BAC) or was transporting children while driving under the influence.

Plain old DUI is a misdemeanor I don't care what shit you throw the other conditions that make it a felony were not suggested in the OP.
Now you were more specific thus correct.

Originally you wrote:

"Drunk driving is a misdemeanor"

I showed that statement can be misleading when there is a history of multiple violations behind it as I showed at POST 7 that makes a misdemeanor change into a Felony.

Look at the lefties defending drunk driving!

Biden cultism is a hell of a disease...

Nobody is defending anything. But the OP made a blanket statement, and others are trying to show them that it's not a felony across the board, circumstances and number of offenses determine if it's a felony or not.

Incidentally, theft is another of those crimes that can be considered a felony or misdemeanor, depending on where it happened and the circumstances surrounding it.

Stealing a neighbor’s $300 purse in Georgia is a misdemeanor that might get you a fine or a short stint in county jail. But if you take that same item next door in Florida, you’ve committed a felony: you could end up serving time in state prison and lose your right to vote.

When it comes to felony theft, there is no uniform national threshold. Each state sets its own dollar amounts to classify theft crimes. To face a felony charge in Georgia for the handbag caper, for example, you’d have to steal five of those same purses: the felony minimum there is $1,500.

And while there is no move toward setting a single nationwide standard, more than three dozen states have increased minimums for felony theft since 2000, adjusting their laws to fit the rising costs of goods. Some states, like Alaska and Louisiana, have hiked thresholds multiple times in the last few years. Advocates say these changes are necessary to make sure that the punishments fit the crimes.

Texas and Wisconsin have the highest thresholds at $2,500, according to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures and a report published by the Public Safety Performance Project at The Pew Charitable Trusts. Most others range from $500 to $2,000. Of the 13 states that have not altered their statutes since 2000, four — Florida, Massachusetts, Virginia and New Jersey — have the lowest thresholds in the country, at $300 or less.

Look at the lefties defending drunk driving!

Biden cultism is a hell of a disease...
I don’t see anyone defending DD.
What I see is an ignorant OP misstating law

DD is a misdemeanor. FACT
Repeated DD or DD resulting in harm of another may be a felony.

Did I state something incorrect or did I defend DD in any way? marvin martian

Now you were more specific thus correct.

Originally you wrote:

"Drunk driving is a misdemeanor"

I showed that statement can be misleading when there is a history of multiple violations behind it as I showed at POST 7 that makes a misdemeanor change into a Felony.
You are adding puff to the piece which is not the case in the context of the conversation the president was speaking on a subject of deportation reactivation due to a court order, and DUI was mentioned, yet DUI is not a felony.

Nobody is defending anything. But the OP made a blanket statement, and others are trying to show them that it's not a felony across the board, circumstances and number of offenses determine if it's a felony or not.

Incidentally, theft is another of those crimes that can be considered a felony or misdemeanor, depending on where it happened and the circumstances surrounding it.

Stealing a neighbor’s $300 purse in Georgia is a misdemeanor that might get you a fine or a short stint in county jail. But if you take that same item next door in Florida, you’ve committed a felony: you could end up serving time in state prison and lose your right to vote.

When it comes to felony theft, there is no uniform national threshold. Each state sets its own dollar amounts to classify theft crimes. To face a felony charge in Georgia for the handbag caper, for example, you’d have to steal five of those same purses: the felony minimum there is $1,500.

And while there is no move toward setting a single nationwide standard, more than three dozen states have increased minimums for felony theft since 2000, adjusting their laws to fit the rising costs of goods. Some states, like Alaska and Louisiana, have hiked thresholds multiple times in the last few years. Advocates say these changes are necessary to make sure that the punishments fit the crimes.

Texas and Wisconsin have the highest thresholds at $2,500, according to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures and a report published by the Public Safety Performance Project at The Pew Charitable Trusts. Most others range from $500 to $2,000. Of the 13 states that have not altered their statutes since 2000, four — Florida, Massachusetts, Virginia and New Jersey — have the lowest thresholds in the country, at $300 or less.
They are being obtuse to try and implicate Biden into making a false statement.

You are adding puff to the piece which is not the case in the context of the conversation the president was speaking on a subject of deportation reactivation due to a court order, and DUI was mentioned, yet DUI is not a felony.

Yet you continue to deny you were misleading the first time just like Biden did, it all depends on factors which YOU and him didn't consider.

By the way you ignored post 7.

Then what is the point of the thread?

What did Biden say that was so very wrong?

It wasn't wrong but it can be misleading which is the main focus for some people in the thread that being more specific would have prevented the misleading charge.

Forum List

Back