Biden: "No one expected the sanctions to prevent anything from happening"

marvin martian

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2020
Texas Hill Country
Then why the FUCK did you do it, Diaper Boy?

He's a disaster.

EVERY Biden supporter owns this tragedy. Every one.

President Biden on Thursday said that "no-one expected" sanctions imposed on Russia in response to its incursions into Ukraine to "prevent anything from happening" -- an apparent contradiction from prior White House messaging that emphasized the value of deterrence.

"No-one expected the sanctions to prevent anything from happening," Biden said. "This could take time and we have to show resolve so he knows what’s coming and so the people of Russia know what he’s brought on them, this is what this is all about."

"This is going to take time, it’s not going to occur…he’s gonna say ‘oh my God, these sanctions are coming, I’m gonna stand down.’"

The remarks came as he announced new sanctions on Russia in response for its invasion into Ukraine, which began early Thursday, marking the latest round of sanctions announced by the U.S.

Biden said the sanctions, in coordination with a coalition of other nations, would target four more major Russian banks, including VTB, and would make it harder for Russia to do business in dollars, Euros, pounds and yen. There will also be "new limitations" on what can be exported to Russia, he said.

But Biden’s claim that the sanctions were not expected to prevent Russia's actions was in stark contrast to past claims by the administration -- including his own vice president.

"The purpose of the sanctions has always been and continues to be deterrence," Vice President Kamala Harris said on Sunday, before the U.S. imposed sanctions.

You know what,.. I spent the past few minutes trying to understand what the fuck is going through his mind,.. but I don't want to damage my brain because apparently he either doesn't have one, or he damaged his and it stopped working.

OMG he is so embarrassing. Seriously.
This country is full of idiots.
What should we have done? Not Trump didn't even like sanctions, but that's another matter. Would you like 3 US divisions in Ukraine?

If Putin chose to accept whateve pain sanctions bring and still invade .... it was gonna happen. If Nato can hang together long enough, Russia will lose their market for gas, which is the only thing that keeps Russians fed. China my bail them out, but that would have costs for China too. Meanwhile a sea pipeline from Israel's fields to Turkey would be about 500 miles.

He won't even sanction Putin directly, because Joe Biden works for Vladimir Putin.
Directly attacking another head of state in any way is a kind of escalation that is almost never done. Putin has his hand in every cookie jar and sanctions will cost him personally. At this point it is clear he does not care about the economic consequences. He's after glory and a place in Russian history beside all the other land snatchers.

Directly attacking another head of state in any way is a kind of escalation that is almost never done. Putin has his hand in every cookie jar and sanctions will cost him personally. At this point it is clear he does not care about the economic consequences. He's after glory and a place in Russian history beside all the other land snatchers.
Well, I think he and Russia have stockpiled whatever can be touched through sanctions. He's been planning this invasion for awhile .... looking for a pretext. Apologists like Rigby probably would point to the US dominated it's latin and south american "neighbors." And that is true. But the distinction is our Goal is democratic-republics .. while putin seeks vassal non-democratic states run by stooges and no individual rights for citizens. Even when our govt has erred and supporting anti-democratic tyrants for the benefit of US corps, eventually we have self-corrected. THAT is the distinction.

What should we have done? Not Trump didn't even like sanctions, but that's another matter. Would you like 3 US divisions in Ukraine?

If Putin chose to accept whateve pain sanctions bring and still invade .... it was gonna happen. If Nato can hang together long enough, Russia will lose their market for gas, which is the only thing that keeps Russians fed. China my bail them out, but that would have costs for China too. Meanwhile a sea pipeline from Israel's fields to Turkey would be about 500 miles.
My understanding is gas and oil was exempt from the sanctions.

Kind of a cruel joke huh...

No, did you?

The mistake was neither believing nor non believing it would work, the mistake (at least to me and most other Americans) was getting involved in the first place instead of focusing on the safety of our own country. If Biden is more concerned about Europe, he can go move there. I mean, it's not like I'm not concerned at all about it, but America should remain first over them.

The mistake was neither believing nor non believing it would work, the mistake (at least to me and most other Americans) was getting involved in the first place instead of focusing on the safety of our own country. If Biden is more concerned about Europe, he can go move there. I mean, it's not like I'm not concerned at all about it, but America should remain first over them.

So, your position is that we, the US, should just totally ignore one country invading another unless they happen to be invading the US itself?

My understanding is gas and oil was exempt from the sanctions.

Kind of a cruel joke huh...

“starting out with energy could actually benefit Putin and pad his pockets. Given high oil and gas prices, cutting off Russian oil and gas will drive prices up to Putin’s benefit. And as we have said repeatedly on the record, on background [and] off the record, our sanctions are designed to harm Russia’s economy, not ours.”

Forum List

Back