Biden won't do it but a future president is going to have to bring U.S. generals to heel.

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
I've been thinking this ever since the mess of Task Force Hawk in 1999 in the Balkans.

Overview

President Clinton ordered 24 AH-64 Apache helicopters to deploy to the region. Many in the U.S. military opposed this as Apaches are used mainly to support ground troops and they figured this deployment was the first move in ground troops being sent to the Balkans. Something by and large opposed by the U.S. military hierarchy.

So what did they do? The U.S. military upper brass threw all kinds of obstacles in the way of the deployment. The helicopters were in Germany and could've flown to the area in a matter of hours.

Instead it took FOUR MONTHS for them to arrive.

The current thing with General Milley underscores that the upper officers of the U.S. military have got to have it made clear to them that they don't make policy. No matter what they interpret their duty to be it isn't their job.

Unless U.S. generals (and admirals) have that made absolutely clear to them and face consequences for failing to comply, the U.S. is going to be in all kinds of worlds of hurt in the future.

1631928525451.png

I've been thinking this ever since the mess of Task Force Hawk in 1999 in the Balkans.

Overview

President Clinton ordered 24 AH-64 Apache helicopters to deploy to the region. Many in the U.S. military opposed this as Apaches are used mainly to support ground troops and they figured this deployment was the first move in ground troops being sent to the Balkans. Something by and large opposed by the U.S. military hierarchy.

So what did they do? The U.S. military upper brass threw all kinds of obstacles in the way of the deployment. The helicopters were in Germany and could've flown to the area in a matter of hours.

Instead it took FOUR MONTHS for them to arrive.

The current thing with General Milley underscores that the upper officers of the U.S. military have got to have it made clear to them that they don't make policy. No matter what they interpret their duty to be it isn't their job.

Unless U.S. generals (and admirals) have that made absolutely clear to them and face consequences for failing to comply, the U.S. is going to be in all kinds of worlds of hurt in the future.
What any future American President has to do is first realize that anybody with more than two stars on their
shoulders is a politician not a soldier, sailor, Marine or Airman. You research every two-star General or Admiral
to see their fighting record and their attention to duty. Then you fire the Joint Chiefs and put in your own
Command structure. Only 2-star commanders should be considered unless they have been major ass-kissers.

With the proper skills, those are the best bets for loyalty to the CIC. Then the POTUS has to give clear guidiance
to his Commanders to achieve the proper results. The POTUS must understand that his military commanders
are not Diplomats...they are Warfighters. War is the final diplomacy in any military action. You are on the verge
of war because your government and your diplomants have failed in their quest for a sound result.

Everybody is an expert in their field. Politicians are political. Diplomats are experts with Diplomacy, the Military
are your exprts in War.

The American Military, per the Constitution, is to be controled by civilian leadership. The POTUS. Not fucking
politicians and diplomats. The POTUS gives the order to move or go in...whatever. Once he gives it to
the Military they run the show. Nobody else.

The reult would be you will not commit your military as much as we do now, but when we do use it, they will
give us the results that we are looking for. You don't fight to tie...you fight to win. Only Military Commanders
can get you a win.

Mind our own business and the problem becomes much easier to manage.

The U.S. military upper brass threw all kinds of obstacles in the way of the deployment. The helicopters were in Germany and could've flown to the area in a matter of hours.
That's NOT what your link said.

I couldn't find a link to those details so I figured I would simply link to an overview of the operation.
You couldn’t find a link that backed your claims so you just posted “something”

Ohh

Your link detailed the difficulties in logistics and politics.

There was no direct route to fly those choppers to the area. There were no bases for them and no logistics once they got there.

Choppers have limited range doofus

Your link detailed the difficulties in logistics and politics.

There was no direct route to fly those choppers to the area. There were no bases for them and no logistics once they got there.

Choppers have limited range doofus
F@ck you. I know that.

I also know there are plenty of airports between Germany and the Balkans even going the long way.

It isn't hard to land helicopters as long as you have some space. And it isn't hard to drive fuel tenders on the good highway network of western Europe.

Biden managed to overrule the generals to actually pull out of Afghanistan.

Something Trump was never able to do.

Forum List

Back