Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

Children are minors and while at school they are in the governments care.

would you like your childs tutor to give them soda right before they tutor them?

What is a real laffer is that the soda machines are locked up at lunch time. Kids get a soda before lunch time and drink it at lunch. And a lot of them go off campus for a big mac, fries and a large coke.

In what way would that justify the school using public money to support stupid nutritional choices for kids?

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

The fine is not a huge deal. It's a minimal amount of money. It's that our liberties keep getting taken by these blow hards. I'm for undoing the public education system and anything federal where the govt. thinks they need to dictate our lives.

Since the school gets most of its money from property taxes, how many peoples taxes did it take to get the $15,000?

Yep, that Utah school district has some 'splainin' to do to the taxpayers that pay their bills. The school districts explanation to the taxpayers can start with
"we broke the law because..."
and end with
"we have therefore decided to give up federal funds, so your property taxes will be going up ___% to cover the shortfall.

How hard should this be? If a state wants to receive a subsidy for school lunches, they can't sell high calorie soda at the time lunch is being served. Seems pretty simple to me. Utah has a choice. They can either pay their own freight in making sure their kids have a lunch or let the kids starve out the day. If they choose to have all taxpayers kick in, they follow the rules.

I'd be more pissed if a a state decided that a Pepsi and bag of Cheetohs were a healthy lunch, and asked the population to subsidize it. Remember Reagan claiming that ketchup was a veggie?

Reagan got it wrong. Ketchup is made from tomatoes which are technically a fruit not a veggie. I believe they are still so classified.

Then why did you try to blame DOE for a program managed, by DOE, moron?

Read the post about Government and it didn't matter...or do you need to be led by the hand to it like every helpless Statist?

WTF is your problem? Don't know how to search and read?

Get lost Tick. You're a boor. :eusa_hand:

I think you just enjoy being an antisocial, nihilist dweeb, and accuracy no longer matters to you.

Son? I have an extreme distaste for idiots as YOU...and practice discrimination with exteme pedjudice.:eusa_hand:

would you like your childs tutor to give them soda right before they tutor them?

What is a real laffer is that the soda machines are locked up at lunch time. Kids get a soda before lunch time and drink it at lunch. And a lot of them go off campus for a big mac, fries and a large coke.

In what way would that justify the school using public money to support stupid nutritional choices for kids?

The school makes a profit from the soda vending machines and there is no public money involved.

Info that I'm betting was left out of the OP:

Do as I do » Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, says the federal government is overreaching in fining two Utah high schools for making junk food too readily available to students during lunch time. All schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program and receive federal funds to help pay the cost of providing lunch to students must abide by the rules. And the rules aren’t that difficult to understand or follow. Still, Davis High School has been fined twice in the past few months for selling sodas and candy in the hallways adjacent to the lunchroom. Twice? Seems these educators are slow learners. And Box Elder High School, where Bishop once was on the faculty, did the same thing. Schools should be sending a message — both in and outside the classroom — that junk food is to be avoided. Obesity is at epidemic levels among children and teens, as well as adults. The feds aren’t at fault here; the schools and Bishop are failing to set an example that could help save the health of these kids.

Short takes on issues | The Salt Lake Tribune

So the liberal head spinning would end with simply wheeling the vending machine to another hallway?

That's what this big "SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN" meltdown is over? What hallway the machine is in?

No.

Didn't I make it big enough? Let's try it again.

All schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program and receive federal funds to help pay the cost of providing lunch to students must abide by the rules.

• So, it's not Big Brother.
  • It's not Big Government.
  • It has nothing to do with Liberalism, unless you believe that competency and adherence to rules is a Liberal trait. I'll be happy to take that admission from you.

All this is, is a bunch of:

• Dumb asses
  • Religious fundamentalists, happy to take from the taxpayers, but throw a hissy when they have to follow the same rules as everyone else when it comes to government funding.
  • Extreme fringe militia/survivalist types, who don't want to be told anything.

Or a combination of all three. Personally I just think they are dumb asses.

Just like the OP.

I rate this thread: FAIL.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see what happens if these fines aren't paid. Would Big Brother storm these officials' homes and arrest them? I have a feeling they would. What a country we're becoming.

What would happen is the school district would pay a ton of taxpayers money to a bunch of lawyers, and since the Federal Government has a lot more money, the School District would lose.

Do you have evidence to back up that statement? Where this has been studied -- the evidence says othewise.

Typically, while school dietitians want children to eat healthier food, they are convinced such efforts will be futile, and if students cannot get their fast food in the cafeteria they will buy it off campus. This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, where the food is not only natural, it is prepared with care; Natural Ovens made sure of this by hiring and training the cooks for the school.

Do you have evidence to back up that statement? Where this has been studied -- the evidence says othewise.

Typically, while school dietitians want children to eat healthier food, they are convinced such efforts will be futile, and if students cannot get their fast food in the cafeteria they will buy it off campus. This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, where the food is not only natural, it is prepared with care; Natural Ovens made sure of this by hiring and training the cooks for the school.

This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, I suggest that anecdotal evidence from ONE school does not convince me it is otherwise.

I wiil present my evidence from a personal observation. Many schools only allow Seniors to go off campus, and I have seen them go through the drive thru and pick up 5 or 6 orders for themselves and other students that are waiting for their burger and fries back at school.

Fuck YOU and your dieticians.

Read the post about Government and it didn't matter...or do you need to be led by the hand to it like every helpless Statist?

WTF is your problem? Don't know how to search and read?

Get lost Tick. You're a boor. :eusa_hand:

I think you just enjoy being an antisocial, nihilist dweeb, and accuracy no longer matters to you.

Son? I have an extreme distaste for idiots as YOU...and practice discrimination with exteme pedjudice.:eusa_hand:

Boy, I have an extreme fear of the bullshit you peddle. You're a nihilist, who doesn't want government to provide a check and balance to corporatism, and your end game is to have corporations replace government. To me, that's your mental problem. You're too stupid to see beyond anything beyond Ayn Rand's Little Red Book.

But go ahead, and call everyone that believes in a strong role for government a "statist". It makes you look like a retarded, corporate ass kisser. Your use of the term "statist" is also stupid.

Boy, I have an extreme fear of the bullshit you peddle. You're a nihilist, who doesn't want government to provide a check and balance to corporatism, and your end game is to have corporations replace government. To me, that's your mental problem. You're too stupid to see beyond anything beyond Ayn Rand's Little Red Book.

But go ahead, and call everyone that believes in a strong role for government a "statist". It makes you look like a retarded, corporate ass kisser. Your use of the term "statist" is also stupid.

I gave YOU an assignment...one of the Constitution and voting...Where is your Term Paper boy?

I gave YOU an assignment...one of the Constitution and voting...Where is your Term Paper boy?

You don't get to give me an "assignment", moron. You're too fucking stupid to give assignments to anyone.

You don't get to give me an "assignment", moron. You're too fucking stupid to give assignments to anyone.

In other words you LIED. You don't know SQUAT of the Constitution. Admit it.

Forum List

Back