Bill introduced to drug test legislators - About time, don't ya think...

I sure do hope that this bill gets traction and passes in PA. I would love to see this legislation enacted at the federal level! Were it to happen, I'm predicting a 10 - 20% 'coincidental' retirement of Congressional members from the Dems and somewhere in the single digit % from the Repubs...

Philadelphia Representative Proposes Bill To Drug Test All Pennsylvania Lawmakers

This should have been done in every state & on the federal level too, over 30 years ago.
Hopefully it will pass in PA. If it doesn't then we all know the PA law makers are a bunch of druggies.

I sure do hope that this bill gets traction and passes in PA. I would love to see this legislation enacted at the federal level! Were it to happen, I'm predicting a 10 - 20% 'coincidental' retirement of Congressional members from the Dems and somewhere in the single digit % from the Repubs...

Philadelphia Representative Proposes Bill To Drug Test All Pennsylvania Lawmakers

So what's the punishment if they fail the test? Embarrassment?

Elected officials are still elected officials. It's not illegal to have traces of illegal drugs in your body.

Elected officials are still elected officials. It's not illegal to have traces of illegal drugs in your body.

Many in the private sector get fired for failing drug tests; it should be no different for any politician.

No one will retire. They'll just stop doing drugs.

It will be interesting to see who votes against this bill, or if it even makes it out of committee.

Please keep us updated.

Many in the private sector get fired for failing drug tests; it should be no different for any politician.

Politicians don't get fired. They can be impeached or lose elections.

Hear, hear.

I've been on a random drug and alcohol screening program for the last 41 years. (Air Force and aviation career). I'm 60 now and have never failed a drug or alcohol test required by my employer but I'm still on the hook after all these years and all I do now is teach class. I get popped about once a year to pee in a jar or blow in a tube or both.

It's always chapped my arse that I have to meet this mandatory screening requirement to earn money that is taxed and sent to pay politicians and welfare deadbeats who don't have to pass a drug test to receive my tax dollars.

Legislators should definitely be tested in states where they demand SNAP and other assistance recipients be tested.

It's only illegal to operate a motor vehicle, otherwise you can't get arrested for 'internal possession'.

You're being deliberately dense.

It's illegal to buy and posses the illegal substance that you put in your body.

iu

Ain't ya never heard of Mayor Marion Barry?

Marion Barry - Wikipedia

He continued as Mayor throughout is arrest and trial. He ran for Governor while awaiting his sentencing.

This law is impotent unless they make a law saying that any legislator found to have illegal drugs in their system gets automatically removed from office...but that's not going to happen.

It's only illegal to operate a motor vehicle, otherwise you can't get arrested for 'internal possession'.

You're being deliberately dense.

It's illegal to buy and posses the illegal substance that you put in your body.

iu

Show me one instance of a person that's been arrested for internal possession!

Nobody has ever been arrested for failing a drug test. They may be fired, they may be disqualified from receiving government benefits, but nobody gets arrested.

Who's being dense?

I oppose any mandatory drug testing for anyone unless there is evidence of abuses or on the job intoxication or something that warrants a search of your private affairs.

Even for Legislators.........

Last edited:

Politicians don't get fired. They can be impeached or lose elections.

Yes, I know but there needs to be some mechanism put in place to end this non sense.
If they initiate drug testing, and one fails, they should be fired.

Hear, hear.

I've been on a random drug and alcohol screening program for the last 41 years. (Air Force and aviation career). I'm 60 now and have never failed a drug or alcohol test required by my employer but I'm still on the hook after all these years and all I do now is teach class. I get popped about once a year to pee in a jar or blow in a tube or both.

It's always chapped my arse that I have to meet this mandatory screening requirement to earn money that is taxed and sent to pay politicians and welfare deadbeats who don't have to pass a drug test to receive my tax dollars.

As Americans, we ALL should expect the same treatment for those that WE elect. Thank you.

Ultimately the thumbs up or down comes at the ballot box. If the information is out there and constituents vote the congress critter back in, well they get what the majority wants - that's the way our representative republic works...

Forum List

Back