BIRDS

LOL. Great thread.

I raise and breed finches in my indoor aviary. I've done it for 30 years. I probably have 50. Zebras are my favorite.

Then I have a section just for my purdy Red and Orange Cheeked Waxbills.

we get lots of finches - house, purple, & gold finches. when the males grow their yellow plummage in the spring/summer - they look like little yellow bullets flying thru the air. & they have pretty songs too. i think they are also called american canaries.

LOL. Great thread.

I raise and breed finches in my indoor aviary. I've done it for 30 years. I probably have 50. Zebras are my favorite.

we get lots of finches - house, purple, & gold finches. when the males grow their yellow plummage in the spring/summer - they look like little yellow bullets flying thru the air. & they have pretty songs too. i think they are also called american canaries.

We have dozens of Cardinals this year and lots of Robins.

LOL. Great thread.

We have dozens of Cardinals this year and lots of Robins.

the other day i counted 6 robins although we have a few that show themselves in the winter & i feed them mealy worms & suet like the bluebirds. they know where to go for fine dining!

These guys are out at the Park where I walk a lot. They're pretty funny animals.

Mallard_speculum.jpg

i have a vernal pool that mallards tend to set up housekeeping in the spring & a few will come to the feeders. they like the cracked corn i throw on the ground. ever once in a while we get wood ducks. the females look like female mallards - but the males are so pretty. they sound like crap though - no real quacking but more of a screech & are much shyer than mallards.

images
Wood ducks are my favorite pond ducks. Their curious yet unassuming nature. The way they do their quick dives down and up.

I've always wondered why males in a lot of species are more colorful and prettier than the females. Which is relatively opposite in the humanoid species. Obviously it has to do with survival and natural selection.

This Darwin dude had one hell of a cranium.
Why are male birds more colorful than female birds?

These guys are out at the Park where I walk a lot. They're pretty funny animals.

Mallard_speculum.jpg

i have a vernal pool that mallards tend to set up housekeeping in the spring & a few will come to the feeders. they like the cracked corn i throw on the ground. ever once in a while we get wood ducks. the females look like female mallards - but the males are so pretty. they sound like crap though - no real quacking but more of a screech & are much shyer than mallards.

images
Wood ducks are my favorite pond ducks. Their curious yet unassuming nature. The way they do their quick dives down and up.

I've always wondered why males in a lot of species are more colorful and prettier than the females. Which is relatively opposite in the humanoid species. Obviously it has to do with survival and natural selection.

This Darwin dude had one hell of a cranium.
Why are male birds more colorful than female birds?

female birds need to be muted in color to protect the nest & blend in , & males hafta compete for the females - so having attractive plumage is definitely a plus.

Most people don't realize we also get the southern White Pelicans in northern MN and North Dakota. They fly up through here with some going into far northern Canada for spring breeding. Some stay in Minnesotas many large cold lakes all summer.
News story from two years ago.

Specifically, Cardinals.
We have a pair that pays us a daily visit. They love whole Peanuts and Sunflower seeds. Problem is, so do the Squirrels. Damn tree rats hoover them up as soon as we put them out.
Solution: White Safflower seed.
Cardinals love them, vermin does not.
I have so many birds they keep the squirrels away.
My squirrels eat all the figs and pecans when I'm not looking, day and night, if the wild birds don't.

I keep seeing what looks like a Crane on my daily walks, but I could never figure out what species of Crane it was. Well, upon searching, it apparently seems to be a Heron not a Crane. It looks just like this guy:

1280px-Great_egret_%28Ardea_alba%29_Tobago.jpg
I have great white egrets on my lake out back every summer. They have a way of discouraging herons, flamingos, cranes, et al. They are the soul of grace, other than that.

View attachment 469725 We get these in Florida. Along with Ibis and the birds stated in above post
Oh those spoonbills are fabulous, Ig325!
Thanks, I grew up with Florida outdoors as my playground. I hate seeing it destroyed by suburban sprawl.
Well, Florida saved lives by welcoming immigrants trying to get away from a killer dictator in Cuba decades ago. We were fortunate because the Cubans were bright folks fluent in two or more languages, at least that was my impression when my late husband treated the family to a week in Walt Disney World back in the 70s when the kids were just old enough to parrot the phrase, "Are we there yet?" :cranky: :laugh2:

40 years back...ficking Ibanez and Princess the Moluccan . She is still flapping and yapping. No parrot comes close to the cockatoos. Top of the line
1987.jpg

Forum List

Back