CDZ Birth Control: What's in a Name?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Like many other terms in our modern lexicon, Birth Control literally means the opposite of what it is used for. Birth means the passage of a (human) baby into the world outside the mother's body. Control refers to the means of stopping this process. Ever though Birth Control is literally a synonym for abortion, but it is more often equated to pregnancy prevention.

So why is this term so widely misused? Is it a convenient way to conflate these two distinct concepts into a nicer-sounding catchall phrase that obscures its contents (e.g., Final Solution)? Could it be to deliberately confuse the large majority of Americans who favor pregnancy prevention but oppose unrestricted abortions?

Honesty favors clarity; dishonesty favors obfuscation. Which do you favor?

Last edited:
Like many other terms in our modern lexicon, Birth Control literally means the opposite of what it is used for. Birth means the passage of a (human) baby into the world outside the mother's body. Control refers to the means of stopping this process. Thus Birth Control is literally a synonym for abortion, but it is more often equated to pregnancy prevention.

So why is this term so widely misused? Is it a convenient way to conflate these two distinct concepts into a nicer-sounding catchall phrase that obscures its contents (e.g., Final Solution)? Could it be to deliberately confuse the large majority of Americans who favor pregnancy prevention but oppose unrestricted abortions?

Nope. Mostly just used to control the timing, like us, keeping it down to 3 kids, when we could afford to provide properly for them. Sex is great and to be enjoyed. We've just been poking fun at it for better part of 48 years.

I have seen abortion used as birth control since the early 80's when I worked briefly for a doctor who performed abortions.

Your post is very thought provoking. Ever since I rearranged my thinking about abortion, about 12 years ago, I've felt it's just sad that so many women cannot be bothered to prevent pregnancy simply because abortion is available on demand. What's saddest is that they have been so thoroughly brainwashed to believe that what's growing inside them is not a human child until it breathes its first breath on its own. Sick, sad, sorry delusional lies that they have accepted for the convenience of being able to pursue sexual promiscuity without consequences. I think they are an insult to womanhood.

I think the number of women who practice effective birth control -- pregnancy prevention -- is sadly far too few.

Thanks for listening.

Nice answer. What question were you responding to?
Just denying your characterization of birth control, in your initial thread post and providing example of control, as control of timing. You view women as baby factories. Nothing says it has to be that way.

Like many other terms in our modern lexicon, Birth Control literally means the opposite of what it is used for. Birth means the passage of a (human) baby into the world outside the mother's body. Control refers to the means of stopping this process. Ever though Birth Control is literally a synonym for abortion, but it is more often equated to pregnancy prevention.

I have never viewed abortion as birth control. I don't know of anyone that has. There is no confusion.

I have never viewed abortion as birth control. I don't know of anyone that has. There is no confusion.
While I agree with you in principle, I think some women do indeed look at it as birth control, especially if they have had more than one. If more than two, it looks like their primary means of birth control. Those women should be sterilized, that being the ultimate birth preventative.

When I worked for a doctor who performed abortions -- for a period of only six or seven months -- I saw multiple women who had more than one abortion. More than one abortion in seven months is birth control.

While I agree with you in principle, I think some women do indeed look at it as birth control, especially if they have had more than one. If more than two, it looks like their primary means of birth control. Those women should be sterilized, that being the ultimate birth preventative.
Which ones?

I remember reading about one woman that claimed she had multiple abortions and considered it to be birth control. That's it.

Of the women that I have known that have: 1) Contemplated it and 2) Contemplated and followed through it is a very difficult and traumatic decision to make. One of the reasons that was shared was this fear that a child given up for adoption would face horrific circumstances with the adoptive parents.

Dooood, I have a list of those people that should be sterilized.

Which ones?

I remember reading about one woman that claimed she had multiple abortions and considered it to be birth control. That's it.

Of the women that I have known that have: 1) Contemplated it and 2) Contemplated and followed through it is a very difficult and traumatic decision to make. One of the reasons that was shared was this fear that a child given up for adoption would face horrific circumstances with the adoptive parents.

Dooood, I have a list of those people that should be sterilized.
I would say let the process begin, but that is just me. It would never hold up in the Supreme Court, though.

I would say let the process begin, but that is just me. It would never hold up in the Supreme Court, though.
Buck v. Bell has never been overturned.

I can't decide if I should be angry or continue to heckle from the peanut gallery.

Buck v. Bell has never been overturned.

I can't decide if I should be angry or continue to heckle from the peanut gallery.
No, no. Good to hear from the gallery. Looks like there are 31 forced sterilization states, plus the District of Columbia. I had no idea and had never heard of the Supreme Court case of Buck vs Bell, originating in Virginia.
Like I said, for those that repeatedly choose it as their preferred birch control, let the sterilizations begin. Amazing that she had the baby, but was sterilized herself, yet I saw nothing of any sterilization for her cousin (mother's nephew) that raped her.
I was surprised Virginia is not the 8 castration states, as far as sex offenders.

No, no. Good to hear from the gallery. Looks like there are 31 forced sterilization states, plus the District of Columbia. I had no idea and had never heard of the Supreme Court case of Buck vs Bell, originating in Virginia.
Like I said, for those that repeatedly choose it as their preferred birch control, let the sterilizations begin. Amazing that she had the baby, but was sterilized herself, yet I saw nothing of any sterilization for her cousin (mother's nephew) that raped her.
I was surprised Virginia is not the 8 castration states, as far as sex offenders.
Nothing Can Die Before It Is Born

I have a defiant contempt for your predatory obsession, the fetus fetish, so I'll pretend that all you are doing is making a point about the misuse and misunderstanding of words.

Another example of that is "fallacy." It is not something false; it is merely something that falls short of complete proof. Because of the Low-IQ grammar on the Netrix, no one uses it to refer to an answer that is superficial and ignores deeper possibilities that refute it. Specifically, "higher wages cause higher prices" is that kind of fallacy, because the business can accept lower profits and not raise its prices.

you need a new hobby.

It's a real hard task to tell people in the 21st century that SEX is only for procreation -- and no other purpose. Which is really what you're after here with the literal definition of "birth control". There is NO birth part here with CONTRA -- CEPTION. Look up the literal meaning of that while you're at it.

Let me know how many you win over to this "law" of nature.

I don’t know anyone who has either. And considering the cost of abortion, I think claiming women use it as a means of birth control is B.S.

The OP seems a bit silly.

It's a real hard task to tell people in the 21st century that SEX is only for procreation -- and no other purpose. Which is really what you're after here with the literal definition of "birth control". There is NO birth part here with CONTRA -- CEPTION. Look up the literal meaning of that while you're at it.

Let me know how many you win over to this "law" of nature.
Nice try at trying to be clever. Keep practicing.

It is, in fact, birth control. It allows the woman or the couple to control whether or not there is a birth. It allows them to control when they have a child.

Forum List

Back