CDZ Birth Control: What's in a Name?

Exactly. I was telling that to the Oposter. Isn't a big following for suggestions that sex is ONLY about procreation anymore. Not sure if it even RANKS as the "primary purpose" on any sort of US opinion poll.

Well, in that the popular opinion is wrong. It is illogical to think that such a basic and important biological function as reproduction is only an ancillary side effect of the act that produces it. It seems more likely that the purposes which people want to focus on are actually ancillary side effects intended to support the primary function.

Well, in that the popular opinion is wrong. It is illogical to think that such a basic and important biological function as reproduction is only an ancillary side effect of the act that produces it. It seems more likely that the purposes which people want to focus on are actually ancillary side effects intended to support the primary function.

Well -- here's the argument that's hard to sell. Sex is NOT just for reproduction, it's for BONDING and MATING and -- if you'll allow it -- for all the "foreplay" that precedes marriage. It's a test of compatibility BEFORE you marry and it's an AFFIRMATION of affection afterwards.

BIRTH CONTROL which this thread is about -- and how this came up -- has INCREASED the standard of living ALL OVER THE WORLD!!! In fact, you need to watch the following TED talk to understand HOW MANY LIVES birth control has IMPROVED WITHOUT the need to shy away from sex. Hans Rosling is a real "influencer".

It has MANY functions. Not the LEAST of which is an ability to LIMIT family size voluntarily. What good is sex for procreation if you end up SELLING children to be able to afford to live life?????

Well -- here's the argument that's hard to sell. Sex is NOT just for reproduction, it's for BONDING and MATING and -- if you'll allow it -- for all the "foreplay" that precedes marriage. It's a test of compatibility BEFORE you marry and it's an AFFIRMATION of affection afterwards.

BIRTH CONTROL which this thread is about -- and how this came up -- has INCREASED the standard of living ALL OVER THE WORLD!!! In fact, you need to watch the following TED talk to understand HOW MANY LIVES birth control has IMPROVED WITHOUT the need to shy away from sex. Hans Rosling is a real "influencer".

It has MANY functions. Not the LEAST of which is an ability to LIMIT family size voluntarily. What good is sex for procreation if you end up SELLING children to be able to afford to live life?????

I have no problem with birth control, but thanks for passionately arguing against the position you assumed I had.

I will say the best birth control has always been and will continue to be control over yourself, rather than letting sex become a drug that takes over your life.

Oh, and just for the record, I didn't have sex with my husband before we got married, and we just celebrated 27 very happy years together. So I also consider that "We have to have sex and make sure we're compatible" line to be utter crap.

Forum List

Back