Birthday Month Cooking

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I have posted about intermittent fasting. And about trying to stay as low carb in my diet as possible. Basically I eat between noon and 8pm, and avoid carbs whenever possible. I do thing for 11 months out of the year.

But February is my birthday month. All bets are off for low carb. And there will be food outside my normal window.

For the last few years I have gotten a giant box of cereal as a treat for my birthday. Not healthy bran stuff, but the sugary delights of my childhood. My absolute favorite is Capt Crunch.

I have also planned a few high carb meals to cook and enjoy. A fried fish and hushpuppies night. An Oklahoma Onion Burger night. A country fried steak night. And potatoes galore throughout the whole thing.

I'll post pics of the decadent cuisine as the month goes on.

I have posted about intermittent fasting. And about trying to stay as low carb in my diet as possible. Basically I eat between noon and 8pm, and avoid carbs whenever possible. I do thing for 11 months out of the year.

But February is my birthday month. All bets are off for low carb. And there will be food outside my normal window.

For the last few years I have gotten a giant box of cereal as a treat for my birthday. Not healthy bran stuff, but the sugary delights of my childhood. My absolute favorite is Capt Crunch.

I have also planned a few high carb meals to cook and enjoy. A fried fish and hushpuppies night. An Oklahoma Onion Burger night. A country fried steak night. And potatoes galore throughout the whole thing.

Wouldn't it be better to eat a normal balanced diet, including all the good things in life, but hit the gym regularly, stay active, paying for your calories and carbs with sweat equity?

Wouldn't it be better to eat a normal balanced diet, including all the good things in life, but hit the gym regularly, stay active, paying for your calories and carbs with sweat equity?

I do workout daily. My regular diet is healthier, despite my splurging in Feb. Once I cut the carbs I had more energy and felt better.

I do workout daily. My regular diet is healthier, despite my splurging in Feb. Once I cut the carbs I had more energy and felt better.
Glad you feel good. Sounds miserable to look forward to birthday month, one month out of the year, so you can enjoy comfort foods as part of your diet. Enjoy and Happy Birthday.:D

I just count calories.

I need about 2,000 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I go down to 1,500 a day, I'll lose weight slowly.

The trick is staying at your ideal weight forever. And that's not easy.

So yeah, if I was in your situation and gained some pounds, I'd be looking at some lean months to get back to my weight.

Do you find it hard to get back to low carb after a whole month of decadence? Sometimes I find it hard after just a weekend! LOL

Glad you feel good. Sounds miserable to look forward to birthday month, one month out of the year, so you can enjoy comfort foods as part of your diet. Enjoy and Happy Birthday.:D

Thanks! Actually, I enjoy food all year long. We cook a lot in this house.

Thanks! Actually, I enjoy food all year long. We cook a lot in this house.

Hell, yeah ... Eating is one of the most fun things to do.

I like to burn 3500-4000 calories a day.
Cook a lot of stuff on the grill too ... And put real butter on the veggies.

Just try to remember one thing -- everything is better with bacon.

Bacon Can Make Chocolate and Carmel Taste Better ... :thup:

51851327535_a0a645e6ed_z.jpg

So, WB, you fast 11 months out of the year then your treat to yourself is tooth-rotting Capt Crunch?

If I may, you are looking wrongly at diet and exercise merely as a means of weight control and stamina, with carbs being the primary evil. But the fact that you still have cravings for high fat, sugar and carb foods during your birthday month tells me you are not doing something right. Fasting is a lot more than just not eating, it is rather a small science.

Fasting is about cleansing and elimination, it is about vitality. I suggest you buy, read and devour a small book written by Prof Arnold Erhet called the Mucusless Diet Healing System. It has been in print for like a hundred years literally and you can still buy copies of it on Amazon.

Hell, yeah ... Eating is one of the most fun things to do.

I like to burn 3500-4000 calories a day.
Cook a lot of stuff on the grill too ... And put real butter on the veggies.

I grill a lot when the weather cooperates. Real butter is the only thing we use. Margarine is an abomination.

We eat a lot of good meat and fresh veggies. I am not lacking any enjoyment in our meals. I just have a month I will splurge.

I grill a lot when the weather cooperates. Real butter is the only thing we use. Margarine is an abomination.

We eat a lot of good meat and fresh veggies. I am not lacking any enjoyment in our meals. I just have a month I will splurge.

That's reasonable ... Intermediate fasting doesn't work for me.
Once you run out of moderately accessible fuel ... You'll start burning muscles.

Been there, done that ... Not good.

So, WB, you fast 11 months out of the year then your treat to yourself is tooth-rotting Capt Crunch?

If I may, you are looking wrongly at diet and exercise merely as a means of weight control and stamina, with carbs being the primary evil. But the fact that you still have cravings for high fat, sugar and carb foods during your birthday month tells me you are not doing something right. Fasting is a lot more than just not eating, it is rather a small science.

Fasting is about cleansing and elimination, it is about vitality. I suggest you buy, read and devour a small book written by Prof Arnold Erhet called the Mucusless Diet Healing System. It has been in print for like a hundred years literally and you can still buy copies of it on Amazon.

I fast for a variety of reasons. It is a healthier way to live. It stops the rollercoaster of insulin release in the body that comes with the normal eating rate. And I feel much better.

It took a couple of weeks to get my body accustomed to the fasting schedule. Now it is natural.

I recommend The Obesity Code. It will explain things better than I do here.

As for the tooth-rotting Capt Crunch, I wear dentures so that is not an issue. I was given a medication when I was very young that damaged my tooth enamel. I had dental issues most of my life. In my late 50s I just said "fuck it" and go a mouthful of Store Bought teeth. Best thing I ever did. I can drink cold liquids without a straw, eat cold or sweet things without pain, and enjoy popcorn without the pain of those little husks getting stuck between my teeth.

Plus, as an added bonus, the Capt Crunch does not irritate the roof of my mouth now.

That's reasonable ... Intermediate fasting doesn't work for me.
Once you run out of moderately accessible fuel ... You'll start burning muscles.

Been there, done that ... Not good.

I workout just before noon, so I can replenish the calories with good protein and healthy veggies.

Forum List

Back