"Black" Names

Sounds right

They want their children to be unique rather than adopt vanilla names
.....they don't want to be like white people--who graduate and commit crimes at lower rates
MUCH lower rates

Whites commit more crime.
Blacks cant grast "per capita." Not sure why, they're just happy in their ignorance
I grasp per capita just fine. But 7 crimes out of every ten are committed by whites and since crime is an action not done by everyone in any race, you can only asses rates by the number of people committing the action.
there are more white people

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

The kind of person who isn't going hire Latoya based on her resume isn't going to hire Emily if she shows up for the interview and she's black.

So the idea should be- those people don't get to make the hiring decisions.

Congrats, you just made the case why Affirmative Action and Quotas are needed.

I'm sure that wasn't your intent.

Some white celebrities name their children unusual names. Coco, Apple, Cricket, Birdy, Rocket

River.. .Blossom.... Madonna... Jewel... Moon Unit.... Dweezil....

I did know a Cricket. She was black. Still is in fact. Fun sweet girl.

Actually, I mean white southern conservatives
White Southern Conservatives are traditionally Democrat. Been that way for over 150 years. Their Daddy voted Democrat, their Grand Daddy voted Democrats......they don't vote for no damn Yankee Republicans.
At one time, white Southern Conservatives were Democrats, now they are Republicans

Funny how that worked out
Nope. In the South conservatives are Democrats. Conservative means a resistance to change. They're Bible-bangers and Rednecks......and they always vote Democrat. The difference now is they have no reason to vote anymore because they aren't being represented by the Democrat Party anymore. Most of the Republicans in the South weren't born here. I was born in Montana and moved here in the 80s. Once I left the military I discovered that these people are set in their ways and are Blue Dog Democrats.
Too goofy to respond to
Best way to find out is live here and talk to the locals.
Your fake news BS is based in NYC. So you wouldn't know jack shit about it.
Still Goofy

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.
D'boneHead has an apostrophe to represent the "click".

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Intro in French says: "I often get angry because this is not a 'noise', this is my language". Then she gives her real name as it's really pronounced.

This song is in Xhosa.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.

Doesn't this thread sort of go against the prevailing belief of the majority of white posters here that there is ""Black Privilege"?

Afterall, none of these "noble, non racist" individuals here would discriminate against a black person who they think is black just based on their name, would they?

SMGDH
Discriminating against names doesnt come out of thin air. There is a reason people have trust issues with dudes named Malik. Is it fair? No, certainly not, but human beings are instinctually cautious, and when every mugger, car jacker, home invasion committing murderer has one of those names, it presents a pattern that one cannot ignore. People who give children these names have a long track record of terrible parenting. They frequently produce children who are problems. Its simply a fact.

That is a generalization. And quite an ignorant one.
Human beings arent perfect, yet this name thing does also have merit. To say otherwise is ignoring reality. Does everyone named Malik commit crimes? No, but even if only 1 in 3 Maliks are criminals, why play the odds?

It is likely that there are just as many "John's and Williams" that committ crimes as there are "Malik's".

Judging someone based on their name as opposed their individual character is ignorant. Period.

But some of the justifications here for that has been a great refresher on the depth of stupidity that resides in some here.

Disgusting.
Youre ignoring reality. Cultures earn bad reputations for a reason.

Some white celebrities name their children unusual names. Coco, Apple, Cricket, Birdy, Rocket

River.. .Blossom.... Madonna... Jewel... Moon Unit.... Dweezil....

I did know a Cricket. She was black. Still is in fact. Fun sweet girl.
I checked Lucas County Booking (Toledo), and none of those names appear. They either dont commit crimes, or they're REALLY good at committing crimes

The kind of person who isn't going hire Latoya based on her resume isn't going to hire Emily if she shows up for the interview and she's black.

So the idea should be- those people don't get to make the hiring decisions.

Congrats, you just made the case why Affirmative Action and Quotas are needed.

I'm sure that wasn't your intent.
I doubt it. A black girl named "Emily" would be understood not to have the same family as "Latoya"

I doubt it. A black girl named "Emily" would be understood not to have the same family as "Latoya"

You miss the point entirely.

The fact is, they did a study back in 2005 where they sent out resumes with black and white names... Half the resumes had names like LaToya and Jamal, half had names like Greg and Emily

Greg and Emily got 50% more callbacks, even though their resumes had effectively the same information on them.

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.

Dweezle Zappa comes to mind as well

From the link:

>> In his written ruling, he said names such as Stallion, Yeah Detroit, Fish and Chips, Twisty Poi, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit were prohibited by registration officials. Others that were permitted included twins called Benson and Hedges, other children called Midnight Chardonnay, Number 16 Bus Shelter and, the judge added, "tragically, Violence". Another mother tried to use text language for her child's name, he said.<<​

Hey, when you're competing with Number 16 Bus Shelter, you gotta be creative.

I recall perusing a web site that supposedly listed what baby names were most common. Up there around the number 3 position was "Akeel the One-Eyed".

Actually the clicks (3 of them) are represented by the letters C, Q and X.

Sounds right

They want their children to be unique rather than adopt vanilla names
.....they don't want to be like white people--who graduate and commit crimes at lower rates
MUCH lower rates

Whites commit more crime.
Blacks cant grast "per capita." Not sure why, they're just happy in their ignorance
I grasp per capita just fine. But 7 crimes out of every ten are committed by whites and since crime is an action not done by everyone in any race, you can only asses rates by the number of people committing the action.
hahahhaha--you are so full of shit
you lose all credibility when you don't accept the facts

Trying going to public school in the Bronx with the name "Francis"

White Southern Conservatives are traditionally Democrat. Been that way for over 150 years. Their Daddy voted Democrat, their Grand Daddy voted Democrats......they don't vote for no damn Yankee Republicans.
At one time, white Southern Conservatives were Democrats, now they are Republicans

Funny how that worked out
Nope. In the South conservatives are Democrats. Conservative means a resistance to change. They're Bible-bangers and Rednecks......and they always vote Democrat. The difference now is they have no reason to vote anymore because they aren't being represented by the Democrat Party anymore. Most of the Republicans in the South weren't born here. I was born in Montana and moved here in the 80s. Once I left the military I discovered that these people are set in their ways and are Blue Dog Democrats.
Too goofy to respond to
Best way to find out is live here and talk to the locals.
Your fake news BS is based in NYC. So you wouldn't know jack shit about it.
Still Goofy
Well that's your opinion. You're a liberal, and you never can admit you're wrong.

:dunno:

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

If there's a holdup in the Bronx.........

:dunno:

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

If there's a holdup in the Bronx.........

traffic jam backed up to......was it Brooklet Heights?

Forum List

Back