"Black" Names

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.
You really might want to examine the range of white peoples names before talking.

I have to admit. White names are not very original
they were when they were thought up....

Try this one:

Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin

Enya
Yes, because it's Gaelic.

And Gaelic is as far removed from what it looks like in Roman letters as any language I know.

Sounds right

They want their children to be unique rather than adopt vanilla names
.....they don't want to be like white people--who graduate and commit crimes at lower rates
The very white people who persecuted them for hundreds of years

“I want my child to have a nice, white name”
You mean the White Southern Democrats.
If that's the case....why are there so many blacks with Southern White names like Leroy?

I think what happened is so many blacks are kids having kids that they stopped being rational when they named their kids and started calling them names that were more French and exotic to make them sound like they got some bling...because they love Gold and Diamonds.
Actually, I mean white southern conservatives
White Southern Conservatives are traditionally Democrat. Been that way for over 150 years. Their Daddy voted Democrat, their Grand Daddy voted Democrats......they don't vote for no damn Yankee Republicans.
At one time, white Southern Conservatives were Democrats, now they are Republicans

Funny how that worked out

.....they don't want to be like white people--who graduate and commit crimes at lower rates

If that's the case....why are there so many blacks with Southern White names like Leroy?

I think what happened is so many blacks are kids having kids that they stopped being rational when they named their kids and started calling them names that were more French and exotic to make them sound like they got some bling...because they love Gold and Diamonds.
White Southern Conservatives are traditionally Democrat. Been that way for over 150 years. Their Daddy voted Democrat, their Grand Daddy voted Democrats......they don't vote for no damn Yankee Republicans.
At one time, white Southern Conservatives were Democrats, now they are Republicans

They were SO conservative in fact that it took them decades to figure out where the conservative political party was. When Thurmond and the Dixiecrats walked out of the 1948 Democratic Convention and ran against them, they still couldn't stomach the idea of shifting to the Party of Lincoln. Thurmond then endorsed Eisenhower but still didn't jump. They fought their own party for decades before finally getting over the emotional baggage enough to join the party of the POTUS who had beaten them.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes.

Like McConnell? Or McDonald?

hmm, names referring to son of Connell, and son of Donald?

GREAT examples.

See previous reference to Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin ("Ni" = "daughter of")

Major Garrett, Blossom Dearie and Ephraim Zimbalist Junior think this thread is hilarious.

In other news, among the candidates receiving electoral votes in 2016 was Faith Spotted Eagle.

Enya Patricia Brennan is Irish Gaelic. Would raise no eyebrows in this area, actually.
Efrem (not Ephraim) is Russian.

Are you attempting to stumble upon a point?

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes.

GREAT examples.

Major Garrett, Blossom Dearie and Ephraim Zimbalist Junior think this thread is hilarious.

In other news, among the candidates receiving electoral votes in 2016 was Faith Spotted Eagle.

Enya Patricia Brennan is Irish Gaelic. Would raise no eyebrows in this area, actually.

See the above whiny quote about "mis-placed [sic] capital letters, and apostrophes". That's why it's quoted.

Actually it's Hebrew, regardless of transliteration.

Are you?

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.

Doesn't this thread sort of go against the prevailing belief of the majority of white posters here that there is ""Black Privilege"?

Afterall, none of these "noble, non racist" individuals here would discriminate against a black person who they think is black just based on their name, would they?

SMGDH
Discriminating against names doesnt come out of thin air. There is a reason people have trust issues with dudes named Malik. Is it fair? No, certainly not, but human beings are instinctually cautious, and when every mugger, car jacker, home invasion committing murderer has one of those names, it presents a pattern that one cannot ignore. People who give children these names have a long track record of terrible parenting. They frequently produce children who are problems. Its simply a fact.

Every mugger, car jacker or home invasion murderers have those names. Most of these people are named Sam, Dick, Tom and John. And they are white with parents having long records of terrible parenting. They frequently produce children who are problems. That is a fact. But you racists are delusional nut bags that ignore these problems in your own race to such an extent that little Larry grows up to be a doctor that rapes almost 200 little girls.
Is this even ENGLISH? It is totally incoherent.

GREAT examples.

See the above whiny quote about "mis-placed [sic] capital letters, and apostrophes". That's why it's quoted.

Actually it's Hebrew, regardless of transliteration.

Are you?
In other words: no, you have no point and are just threadshitting, as usual.

Nope. In the South conservatives are Democrats. Conservative means a resistance to change. They're Bible-bangers and Rednecks......and they always vote Democrat. The difference now is they have no reason to vote anymore because they aren't being represented by the Democrat Party anymore. Most of the Republicans in the South weren't born here. I was born in Montana and moved here in the 80s. Once I left the military I discovered that these people are set in their ways and are Blue Dog Democrats.

Worst kid name ever ... I know a 17-year-old named 'Felony'. Not a nickname ... it's on his birth certificate. His mom named him 'Felony'. He's committed a fair few of them already as well.

He's a white kid.
Yeah, that's not the best choice of names.

Nope. In the South conservatives are Democrats. Conservative means a resistance to change. They're Bible-bangers and Rednecks......and they always vote Democrat. The difference now is they have no reason to vote anymore because they aren't being represented by the Democrat Party anymore. Most of the Republicans in the South weren't born here. I was born in Montana and moved here in the 80s. Once I left the military I discovered that these people are set in their ways and are Blue Dog Democrats.

Wrong.

Worst kid name ever ... I know a 17-year-old named 'Felony'. Not a nickname ... it's on his birth certificate. His mom named him 'Felony'. He's committed a fair few of them already as well.

He's a white kid.

I bet he had a little sister named Miss Demeanor?

He's a white kid.
Yeah, that's not the best choice of names.

Poor damn kid never had a chance.

His mom is pretty well known to police as well. I'm pretty sure she gets a pregnancy discount at the liquor store.

True story. My mom used to work with a Chinese doctor named Suk (pronounced Sook) Mywang. And a buddy of mine has a client named Hung Dong

True story. My mom used to work with a Chinese doctor named Suk (pronounced Sook) Mywang. And a buddy of mine has a client named Hung Dong

I worked with a lady name Anita Mann.

We had an 80-year-old at my temple when I was a kid named ... I kid you not ... Fanny Lichter.

Parents can be pretty clueless.

Those are Asian names. I am sure if we lived in an Asian country they would laugh at the name
Ima Crouch or Harry Armstrong. Whites do not make the naming rules for the entire planet.

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.

Doesn't this thread sort of go against the prevailing belief of the majority of white posters here that there is ""Black Privilege"?

Afterall, none of these "noble, non racist" individuals here would discriminate against a black person who they think is black just based on their name, would they?

SMGDH
Discriminating against names doesnt come out of thin air. There is a reason people have trust issues with dudes named Malik. Is it fair? No, certainly not, but human beings are instinctually cautious, and when every mugger, car jacker, home invasion committing murderer has one of those names, it presents a pattern that one cannot ignore. People who give children these names have a long track record of terrible parenting. They frequently produce children who are problems. Its simply a fact.

That is a generalization. And quite an ignorant one.
Human beings arent perfect, yet this name thing does also have merit. To say otherwise is ignoring reality. Does everyone named Malik commit crimes? No, but even if only 1 in 3 Maliks are criminals, why play the odds?

White names that are very familiar to cops ...

Dylan, Tyler, Cody...

So why are whites so intimidated by blacks choosing non traditional names?
That's a racist stereotype.

Blacks make up silly sounding names to make themselves stick out. Instead of being wallflowers they peacock.
Sounds right

They want their children to be unique rather than adopt vanilla names

You're white, and I sure as hell, would not want to be "like you".
I'm native American
Me too. I was born here and so were all my ancestors as far back as I can find. So I'm a native American too

Forum List

Back