"Black" Names

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.
Trying going to public school in the Bronx with the name "Francis"

:dunno:

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

If there's a holdup in the Bronx.........

traffic jam backed up to......was it Brooklet Heights?

Traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights I think.

Also Brooklyn's broken out in fights.

What does it say about us that we have this all memorized? :disbelief:

Even worse --- what does it say that I just looked that up to see if I got it right? (I did)

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

What does it say about us that we have this all memorized?

That may be it!

Well that those shows were awesome, or we were really impressionable. Who else learned Classical music from Saturday morning cartoons?

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

Was Patty Duke out in Brooklyn Heights?

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

That may be it!

Well that those shows were awesome, or we were really impressionable. Who else learned Classical music from Saturday morning cartoons?

I'm going with impressionable on this one. When Car54 was running I was like, 9 or 10. It tells us children are sponges and you can take the opportunity to educate them bigly, or you can let 'em watch mindless sitcoms and say fuck it.

I learnt classical music from my parents though. They were always playing it. Then we'd slither off to the bedroom and find rock 'n' roll on the radio. I'd say cartoons were more a source of swing/big band music.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

Even worse --- what does it say that I just looked that up to see if I got it right? (I did)

In my defense however, I will note that I am blessed with an auralgraphic memory. When I hear a sound it imprints in every detail, so all I have to do is run it and I have the lyrics.

Unfortunately there are some sounds one can't unhear so that's the downside. If I ever hear "Video Killed the Radio Star" again I'm gonna FUCKING FLIP OUT.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

Was Patty Duke out in Brooklyn Heights?

No idea on that one. :dunno:

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

In my defense however, I will note that I am blessed with an auralgraphic memory. When I hear a sound it imprints in every detail, so all I have to do is run it and I have the lyrics.

Unfortunately there are some sounds one can't unhear so that's the downside. If I ever hear "Video Killed the Radio Star" again I'm gonna FUCKING FLIP OUT.

Do you have a Mexican Radio?

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

That may be it!

I'm going with impressionable on this one. When Car54 was running I was like, 9 or 10. It tells us children are sponges and you can take the opportunity to educate them bigly, or you can let 'em watch mindless sitcoms and say fuck it.

I learnt classical music from my parents though. They were always playing it. Then we'd slither off to the bedroom and find rock 'n' roll on the radio. I'd say cartoons were more a source of swing/big band music.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

See? That's all it takes ---- Earworm Alert

I can dig this one though.

We did have Mexican radio when I was a kid when we'd twirl the AM radio dial around after the ball game to see what was out there bouncing off the ionosphere. Our two furthest catches were XERF from Cíudad Juárez and XERL (I think) from CIudad Acuña. I believe those were John Brinkley's border thumper stations. That's where my interest in radio germinated.

Googly Maps says XERF was over 1800 miles away.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

That may be it!

Franz Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody. Final answer.

Urban blacks are not credited with much education
But they do come up with original names

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary

I always wanted to name my so Isambard Reginald Laney... Go figure that I am not one of those typical WASP's!

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.

Dweezle Zappa comes to mind as well

His birth name was Ian Donald Zappa.

ClkUyn4H_400x400.jpg
?​

See? That's all it takes ---- Earworm Alert

I can dig this one though.

We did have Mexican radio when I was a kid when we'd twirl the AM radio dial around after the ball game to see what was out there bouncing off the ionosphere. Our two furthest catches were XERF from Cíudad Juárez and XERL (I think) from CIudad Acuña. I believe those were John Brinkley's border thumper stations. That's where my interest in radio germinated.

Googly Maps says XERF was over 1800 miles away.

The border blasters ran so much power (XERF was a quarter million watts, XERB was 150,000) they overpowered 50kw stations 500 miles away. My uncle remembers hearing it loud and clear in Ohio.

Some white celebrities name their children unusual names. Coco, Apple, Cricket, Birdy, Rocket

River.. .Blossom.... Madonna... Jewel... Moon Unit.... Dweezil....

I did know a Cricket. She was black. Still is in fact. Fun sweet girl.

Dweezil is actually Ian Donald Zappa. Coco is usually a nickname.
I think Courteney Cox and David Arquette named their daughter Coco

Some white celebrities name their children unusual names. Coco, Apple, Cricket, Birdy, Rocket

That could be quite unfortunate if she ever develops mental problems.

If I was born in Africa, then my name should be Luchi *tock* (Minute 0:24)

Perhaps people don't realize that for us, the names of other people might sound weird but for them is the normal.

People -even when they live in the US-, also travel and visit their family in other countries. Over there, they learn that their names sound OK and they get used to them.

Some people seems to have problems with foreign names because those appear to break the routine in our ears. Some people have problems with the name Lakisha, but they see no problem with the name Angela.

About African names with capitol letters in the middle of it, we also have the known name LeBaron, and nobody is making complaints about it.

In my job we used to play with the way of talking of a guy from Africa, and we used to add *tock* *tick* and similar sounds when talking with him. Sometimes he laughed with us, sometimes he truly reminded us our mothers, grandmothers...

This is not just a "black" thing. Look at the Palins: trip, trig, twig, trap, truck, trump, bristol, willow, piper, sailor. And please people, no more fruits and cheeses. Brie? Apple? Cherry? Camembert Wiggins III and his twin brother Asiago? No more weird ones, Wanda, Brenda, Darlene, Sharlene, Reba, Chastity. What about Oral Roberts? Elvis? Maybe we can move on to vegetables?

That could be quite unfortunate if she ever develops mental problems.

Because...

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
You're root problems are because you're too stupid the stop hurting yourselves. How many times have I seen a video where a cop tells a black to STOP and SHOW ME YOUR HANDS? I don't think you savages know that that means. In prison we had the epitome of a f---ed up name put on a black kid. he couldn't have been more than 20. his name was "Yur majesty". Don't recall his last name. Poor bastard.

Forum List

Back