Black "pastor" arrested for crime of watering his neighbours garden

Not correct. If you get pulled over while driving, they can ask for ID, for example. And being pulled over is a temporary detention, not an arrest.

They can ask the driver for a license
They cannot demand ID from a passenger not suspected of a crime

If I were the cops and had made those observation under all those circumstances, I might ask for ID also. And if he refused, maybe I’d be fast enough on my feet to say, “ok. I understand your position. But help me out here. Can you tell me the name of the property owner neighbor of yours who asked you to do this while he is away?”

If he still wouldn’t cooperate, I’d say, “look. Maybe you’re just a good guy being a good neighbor. But I have a responsibility to do my job properly. That means I need some way to know that you’re not ‘casing the joint’ for a planned burglary. How would I explain THAT to the property owner?”

And if he still refused, yeah. I’d arrest him. Let the legal system sort it out.

Last edited:

A sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper may stop any person abroad in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed or is about to commit a felony or other public offense and may demand of him his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

The man provided his name and an explanation of what he was doing

when you get pulled over its because you comitted a traffic violation and are under arrest,,

Maybe. Or maybe that’s just a pretext. It’s been known to happen. But either way, it ain’t an arrest. And you’re still being asked to give the police your ID.
they cant just pull you over for no reason and demand ID,,
Yet, nevertheless, sometimes they do.

You have to respect this guy for his quick thinking. Pretending to be a pastor is a masterstroke. Alabama is a safer place due to the actions of these soon to be ex police officers.
Im assuming thats a black neighborhood. Its gonna be tough to pin "racial profiling" on a cop who was assigned a black neighborhood for his watch. :laugh:

Maybe. Or maybe that’s just a pretext. It’s been known to happen. But either way, it ain’t an arrest. And you’re still being asked to give the police your ID.

Yet, nevertheless, sometimes they do.
when you are pulled over it is because you broke a law and are under arrest, you cant be pulled over unless youve broke the law,,

I do have to correct myself, I checked and alabama is one of the few stop and ID states,, but that doesnt change they cant pull you over unless youve broke the law,,

Actually, if the police have detained you based on a reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminality, they can demand identification. But otherwise, we have no obligation to identify ourselves to police officers unless we are on their property.
Yes, depending on jurisdiction. In this case they were investigating the call of a potential crime. Reasonable suspicion is a minimum standard.

when you are pulled over it is because you broke a law and are under arrest, you cant be pulled over unless youve broke the law,,

I do have to correct myself, I checked and alabama is one of the few stop and ID states,, but that doesnt change they cant pull you over unless youve broke the law,,

you are not under arrest when you get a speeding ticket

Suspected is a low standard. If an officer asks for you identity, you need to give it to them.
I usually would. But, to be a bit more precise, I wouldn’t “need” to do so. Not legally. And “suspected” is not such a low standard that the police basically can ask anyone at any time for any random reason to provide their ID.

Hell, in fact, if I’m walking on a sidewalk and not driving a vehicle, there is no law requiring me to even possess identifying documents.

Forum List

Back