"Bondpocalypse" Starting in Japan?

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Which is exactly where Max Keiser and Jim Rickards said it would all start. Don't know who those two are? Look em up.

Japanese Finance Ministry Warns Surge In JGB Volatility May Lead To A Sharp Bond Selloff | Zero Hedge
Well, judging by the absolutely ridiculous moves in the USDJPY as of this moment, with the pair soaring 70 pips in a matter of seconds, we are about to have precisely the kind of insanely volatile session that the Japanese Finance Ministry itself warned may lead to a wholesale selloff in JGBs, offsetting even the New Normal Mrs Watanabe kneejerk which is to merely frontrun the BOJ in buying JGBs. Why? Because with implied vol exploding, VaR-driven models will tell banks to just dump bonds as they have become too volatile to hold on their books. The problem is that with trillions and trillions of JGBs held by banks, insurance companies and pension firms, there just not may be anyone out there to buy them.

Which is exactly where Max Keiser and Jim Rickards said it would all start. Don't know who those two are? Look em up.

Japanese Finance Ministry Warns Surge In JGB Volatility May Lead To A Sharp Bond Selloff | Zero Hedge
Well, judging by the absolutely ridiculous moves in the USDJPY as of this moment, with the pair soaring 70 pips in a matter of seconds, we are about to have precisely the kind of insanely volatile session that the Japanese Finance Ministry itself warned may lead to a wholesale selloff in JGBs, offsetting even the New Normal Mrs Watanabe kneejerk which is to merely frontrun the BOJ in buying JGBs. Why? Because with implied vol exploding, VaR-driven models will tell banks to just dump bonds as they have become too volatile to hold on their books. The problem is that with trillions and trillions of JGBs held by banks, insurance companies and pension firms, there just not may be anyone out there to buy them.

sadly there is a new normal!! We know enough today that we can have huge huge government intervention but no depression, just no real growth!! Look at China and Japan. In fact today even with no GDP growth you still have tremendous increases in standards of living as innovative new products are still being invented.

Last edited:
32 to 65 basis points within minutes in the JGB market as the chart at the link shows is mindblowing. 106.25% moves in yield this soon after Cyprus means we are moving to an endgame of some sort. Sending the People's Army across the Yalu as a distraction for the Chinese public is a distant but real possibility as a response. With a probable 20 GDPs of bad debts in construction, State Owned Enterprises and infrastructure, the situation in China is really quite dangerous even without Japan going for a Buzz Lightyear on steroids monetary policy. As to EB's point Brian Arthur's works on Increasing Returns industries may not make the point explicitly but the number of industries with double digit deflationary productive gains is growing rapidly. Intel, Microsoft and Dell have become the new rustbelt according to their own earnings reports.

As an example I went to Barnes & Noble today and I did not see a single paperback for sale at a price that matches much less was lower than the same work used and in hardback from Amazon. Nor did I find a single nutrient or vitamin that I could not get cheaper online. Rethink Robotics is trying to eliminate all production and many service jobs with their open platform programming. This is going to get ever stranger and John Law's scheme no matter how it is gussied up as post-Keynesian economics won't work any better in the 21st century than it did in the 18th.

the situation in China is really quite dangerous even without Japan going for a Buzz Lightyear on steroids monetary policy.

time will tell how stupid you are!! China is 35 years into a 35 year period of 7-10% economic growth per year and you're prediciting a a problem!!!That's pure stupid and purely liberal ignorance!!

See why we are 100% positive a liberal will be slow, so very very slow!!

32 to 65 basis points within minutes in the JGB market as the chart at the link shows is mindblowing. 106.25% moves in yield this soon after Cyprus means we are moving to an endgame of some sort. Sending the People's Army across the Yalu as a distraction for the Chinese public is a distant but real possibility as a response. With a probable 20 GDPs of bad debts in construction, State Owned Enterprises and infrastructure, the situation in China is really quite dangerous even without Japan going for a Buzz Lightyear on steroids monetary policy. As to EB's point Brian Arthur's works on Increasing Returns industries may not make the point explicitly but the number of industries with double digit deflationary productive gains is growing rapidly. Intel, Microsoft and Dell have become the new rustbelt according to their own earnings reports.

As an example I went to Barnes & Noble today and I did not see a single paperback for sale at a price that matches much less was lower than the same work used and in hardback from Amazon. Nor did I find a single nutrient or vitamin that I could not get cheaper online. Rethink Robotics is trying to eliminate all production and many service jobs with their open platform programming. This is going to get ever stranger and John Law's scheme no matter how it is gussied up as post-Keynesian economics won't work any better in the 21st century than it did in the 18th.

Well, W the W, those were an interesting couple of paragraphs. I have no doubt that there is a lot of truth in the first one--but I don't think that accurately assesses any outcomes relating to Japan's approach to stimulus. In fact, there are some signs that it is already helping Japan's economy. We shall see, and this will play out over months--not hours.

I absolutely agree with your second paragraph, if I follow your thoughts correctly. How will the economy operate in a world where many--if not most--people are no longer needed in the workforce because of technological advances? If people do not receive pay--what will they spend? And how will businesses stay in business without a market?

Interesting days are coming, indeed.

It may be that the unthinkable may actually happen; all citizens may be "given" a living wage as an allowance, with work as an optional enhancement. There is actually no reason why that can't be done when technology replaces human labor. In fact, it is probably an absolute necessity if we are to maintain a currency-based economy.

How will the economy operate in a world where many--if not most--people are no longer needed in the workforce because of technological advances? .

pure liberal typical ignorance!! Supply = demand you super dummy liberal fool!! Its Econ 101!!!!!! class one day one!!!If technology caused unemployment it would be 90% now!! There has been nothing but new technology since the stone age!!

Well, W the W, those were an interesting couple of paragraphs. I have no doubt that there is a lot of truth in the first one--but I don't think that accurately assesses any outcomes relating to Japan's approach to stimulus. In fact, there are some signs that it is already helping Japan's economy. We shall see, and this will play out over months--not hours.

I absolutely agree with your second paragraph, if I follow your thoughts correctly. How will the economy operate in a world where many--if not most--people are no longer needed in the workforce because of technological advances? If people do not receive pay--what will they spend? And how will businesses stay in business without a market?

Interesting days are coming, indeed.

It may be that the unthinkable may actually happen; all citizens may be "given" a living wage as an allowance, with work as an optional enhancement. There is actually no reason why that can't be done when technology replaces human labor. In fact, it is probably an absolute necessity if we are to maintain a currency-based economy.
As to the first paragraph China went into double digits on ghost cities a while back. "60 Minutes" did a special report on that recently but just Google "Chinese Ghost Cities". Excluding roads to nowhere and the building of empty buildings China has been growing at most 4-6% in terms of economically useful products for a minimum of 20 years. Japan has been stagnant for 30 years and Jim Jubak at MSN every so often goes into why that assessment is wildly optimistic. Command economies do not work only certain cretins miss that. When 60% of GDP is make work projects actual GDP is at best 40% of the published number.

Last edited:
. "60 Minutes" did a special report on that recently

it was silly story; 60 minutes made no attempt to say if whole country was involved or just tiny% for obvious reasons. Most economists agree 7-10% growth a year for 30 years is economic miracle the world has never seen

4-6% in terms of economically useful products for a minimum of 20 years.

not true but still a huge huge miracle

Japan has been stagnant for 30 years
gdp has been but new products got us from stone age to here and Japan has had many many in last 30 years

Command economies do not work only certain cretins miss that.

of course China does not command anything when it competes in the world wide free market as it does. A command economy commands everything. Now the market commands China

When 60% of GDP is make work projects actual GDP is at best 40% of the published number.

most economists agree 7-10% is accurate. Make work does not produce growth over 30 years, it produces decline. A good number to follow is auto sales. Now they buy 15 million a year, and that is up from nothing 30 years ago. A clever economist can but many numbers like that together that are not in dispute and confirm the 7-10%.

Sorry!!

Forum List

Back