Booker Speech

Well, look at it this way, good poster IamZ.......you are smart. Did you get into Harvard? Undergrad? Law school? Did you clerk for one of the Supremes? Did you have the association of American police chiefs recommend you for any job?

Well, from my narrow view......she seemed smart enough to sidestep a 'gotcha' question.

Any answer about 'what is a woman'.......would have been parsed ad infinitum, e.g. "do you mean hormonally? do you mean emotionally? do you mean biologically? is a woman a woman if she was born without a uterus? is she a woman after a hysterectomy? is she a woman if born with a penis?

See?

The question was an invitation to slap the tar-baby.....to see how stuck they could get the nominee.

She was smart.
Smart enough to sidestep.
If she did answer what a woman is the left would say she was unqualified. So she’s unqualified lol

Well, in the case of this nominee.....no one needs to worry about her qualifications. She's got 'em. Harvard Law. Clerked at the SCOTUS. Stellar record as a defense advocate and as a trial attorney and trial judge. Highest rating and recommendation by the American Bar Association. Highest recommendation by the organization of American police chiefs. Member of the Federalist Society.
I think all is good there.

Plus, speaking for my poor avatar......we admire here patience and courtesy when being jackassed at by Cruz & Graham. We admire grace under pressure. An she showed it. Bigly.

The good poster can repeat it all he wishes.....after all, this gossipboard doesn't charge for posting; however, the above sentiment will remain juvenile and non-sensical no matter how often it is repeated.
But, he is free to be as silly and nonsensical as he wishes. Goget'em, Tiger!
She refused to affirm that the 2nd Amendment is a fundamental right. She believes in a "living constitution". She doesn't sound anywhere near "qualified"

Well, in the case of this nominee.....no one needs to worry about her qualifications. She's got 'em. Harvard Law. Clerked at the SCOTUS. Stellar record as a defense advocate and as a trial attorney and trial judge. Highest rating and recommendation by the American Bar Association. Highest recommendation by the organization of American police chiefs. Member of the Federalist Society.
I think all is good there.

Plus, speaking for my poor avatar......we admire here patience and courtesy when being jackassed at by Cruz & Graham. We admire grace under pressure. An she showed it. Bigly.

The good poster can repeat it all he wishes.....after all, this gossipboard doesn't charge for posting; however, the above sentiment will remain juvenile and non-sensical no matter how often it is repeated.
But, he is free to be as silly and nonsensical as he wishes. Goget'em, Tiger!
no one needs to worry about her qualifications.

There was no need to worry about ACBs or Kavanaughs qualifications either.

But, they didn't go after their qualifications, did they?

With all this fluttering-of-pearls over defining a woman, I thought today's opinion piece in WaPo has traction.

Ketanji Brown was smart enough to dodge a 'gotcha' question......but, she knows what and who she is, and what a woman is. She knows in a way that some of us male chatterati do not know.

This occasional columnist for WaPo, Michele Norris....gets it. And tells us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(underlining by my avatar)

"She said the quiet part out loud."

In an opening statement before more cameras than she had probably ever faced, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson took a deep breath Monday and explained that she was “saving a special moment in this introduction for my daughters.” With her girls seated behind her, she said, “I know it has not been easy as I have tried to navigate the challenges of juggling my career and motherhood. And I fully admit that I did not always get the balance right. But I hope that you have seen that with hard work, determination, and love, it can be done."

I’m fairly certain womenfolk everywhere saw themselves in that statement and felt something deep inside their souls.

With a lifetime appointment to the highest court within her sights, Jackson put the spotlight on the constant fear that, as a mother, you’re not getting it right. She gave voice to that gnawing worry that lives inside so many of us, that if anyone looked too closely behind the veneer of an orderly life, they might see something a little more raggedy around the edges.

That it was part of her prepared statement makes this even more remarkable. She chose to bring the sometimes rickety confidence of a working woman’s psyche into a hearing room dominated by men who probably never figured out the schedules for snack week, music lessons or dental cleanings.

Women everywhere, whether they work outside the home or full time at home keeping it all intact, wrestle with the concern that the idealized standard of motherhood might be just beyond their reach. But here’s the thing: They rarely say that out loud.

That’s because the people who depend on (or marvel at) your ability to juggle ten thousand things need to know that that you can step into each day with a confidence so glistening that it’s contagious.

1648132119366.png

Dr. Patrick Jackson and daughter Leila Jackson, share a glance as Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson, left, testifies during her confirmation hearing on March 23.

She doesn't sound anywhere near "qualified"

So sayeth, poster Wild Bill.
Who, to date, has eschewed giving the forum his bona fides on opinionizing.....from an informed perspective.....on what makes a good SCOTUS Associate Justice.

In contradistinction, we have today, the American Bar Association in the hearings:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

American Bar Association says Jackson is ‘A-plus’ as final day of hearings begins

"Representatives of the American Bar Association lauded the qualifications of Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson on Thursday, saying everyone they interviewed used terms such as “brilliant,” “beyond reproach,” “impeccable” and “A-plus” to describe her.

The testimony from the ABA — which has rated Jackson “well qualified” to serve on the high court — came at the outset of the fourth and final day of hearings on her nomination. Other outside witnesses called by Democrats and Republicans are also testifying Thursday on President Biden’s nominee.
Their appearances follow two days of questioning by committee members. Democrats repeatedly said Jackson would be a welcome addition to the court, while Republicans aggressively questioned whether she had been soft on crime as a federal trial court judge and public defender. ABA representatives said Thursday that their review did not support such criticism."

Many Supreme court justices were clerks of that court before being appointed. Damn near anybody can be a judge. Even crazy Louie Gohmert was one. Being a Supreme Court clerk is more prestigious than any run of the mill judge
And to think Ted Cruz wants to be on the SCOTUS.

With all this fluttering-of-pearls over defining a woman, I thought today's opinion piece in WaPo has traction.

Ketanji Brown was smart enough to dodge a 'gotcha' question......but, she knows what and who she is, and what a woman is. She knows in a way that some of us male chatterati do not know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an opening statement before more cameras than she had probably ever faced, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson took a deep breath Monday and explained that she was “saving a special moment in this introduction for my daughters.” With her girls seated behind her, she said, “I know it has not been easy as I have tried to navigate the challenges of juggling my career and motherhood. And I fully admit that I did not always get the balance right. But I hope that you have seen that with hard work, determination, and love, it can be done."

I’m fairly certain womenfolk everywhere saw themselves in that statement and felt something deep inside their souls.

With a lifetime appointment to the highest court within her sights, Jackson put the spotlight on the constant fear that, as a mother, you’re not getting it right. She gave voice to that gnawing worry that lives inside so many of us, that if anyone looked too closely behind the veneer of an orderly life, they might see something a little more raggedy around the edges.

That it was part of her prepared statement makes this even more remarkable. She chose to bring the sometimes rickety confidence of a working woman’s psyche into a hearing room dominated by men who probably never figured out the schedules for snack week, music lessons or dental cleanings.

Women everywhere, whether they work outside the home or full time at home keeping it all intact, wrestle with the concern that the idealized standard of motherhood might be just beyond their reach. But here’s the thing: They rarely say that out loud.

That’s because the people who depend on (or marvel at) your ability to juggle ten thousand things need to know that that you can step into each day with a confidence so glistening that it’s contagious.

View attachment 620440

Dr. Patrick Jackson and daughter Leila Jackson, share a glance as Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson, left, testifies during her confirmation hearing on March 23.

All the sudden she's a biologist who can tell the difference between a son and a daughter?

View attachment 620440

In all of this you are saying she should be appointed. But in all the hullabaloo, why? I see things getting worse in our nation. Teh truth.

Oprah Winfrey? You understand a Supreme Court Justice needs to be trained in the law, don't you dumb ass?
Not so fast Grasshopper - a Supreme Court Justice does not need to be a lawyer. In fact, the Constitution does not have any qualifications or restrictions for the position. The only constitutional requirement to be a Supreme Court Justice is you need to be nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate

Not so fast Grasshopper - a Supreme Court Justice does not need to be a lawyer. In fact, the Constitution does not have any qualifications or restrictions for the position. The only constitutional requirement to be a Supreme Court Justice is you need to be nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate
So you think that is all that is needed to be an effective and fair justice on the supreme court?

“You have earned this spot. You are worthy. You are a great American,” said Sen. Cory Booker to Judge Jackson, who stands to become the first Black woman Supreme Court justice."

I'm curious.

Would he have made the same speech had Trump nominated a Black woman to SCOTUS, such as Janice Rogers Brown?

The justice Biden told GHW Bush he would filibuster if nominated?

Would have had had the same praise for ANY black woman Joe nominated, as long as they had a D behind their name?

Oprah Winfrey?
Whoopi Goldberg?
Stacy Abrams?

Would his peers on the panel have the same softball 'questions' for them?

Booker is a vacuous toad.

So you think that is all that is needed to be an effective and fair justice on the supreme court?
Just telling you the requirements specifed by the US Constitution for a US Supreme Court Justice

Forum List

Back