BOOM!!!! Rand Paul Wins

The Left is going after Rand Paul over the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Why, Rand Paul secretly wants to repeal it, they say, which means we’d have segregated restaurants all over again. Now any non-hysteric knows a segregated restaurant would be boycotted and picketed out of existence within ten seconds, but we’re supposed to fret about fictional outcomes from the repeal of a law that will never be repealed. And certainly we cannot question the 1964 Act, since our betters have decided the matter is closed.

The American Conservative Rand Paul and the Zombies

That about sums it up.

The matter of segregation is NOT closed? What, exactly, in the 1964 Civil Rights Act should we still be debating, and considering for repeal?

Perhaps read the rest of the article by clicking the link?

I can't believe that people are still using the same arguments that were used in 1964 to justify open discrimination. Even worse, I can't believe we have a candidate for the US Senate who uses those same arguments

The arguments that were used in 1964 were used by democrats.
Don't you ever tire of posting that crap? Those Democrats [Dixiecrats] all switched parties because of civil rights. They're now repubs, but of course you knew that.

Most of the "dixiecrats" did not join the republican party.
Orval Fabus
Benjamin Travis Laney
John Stennis
James Eastland
Allen Ellender
Russell Long
John Sparkman
John McClellan
Richard Russell
Herman Talmadge
George Wallace
Lester Maddox
John Rarick
Robert Byrd
Al Gore, Sr.
Bull Connor

Only three did , Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms and Mills Godwin.

80% stayed in the Democrat party one who still remained as a Senator Is Robert Byrd. In fact Robert Byrd led the Democrat filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I can't believe that people are still using the same arguments that were used in 1964 to justify open discrimination. Even worse, I can't believe we have a candidate for the US Senate who uses those same arguments

Ummm...what does that have to do with anything?

Is your point that now the Republicans are picking up the racist rhetoric that the Democrats abandoned 45 years ago?

You are truly stupid. The democrats have been a racist party from day one.

Following the Civil War, 23 blacks -- 13 of them ex-slaves -- were elected to Congress, all as Republicans.

The first black Democrat was not elected to Congress until 1935, from the state of Illinois. The first black congressional Democrat from a Southern state was not elected until 1973

Democrats, in 1854, passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act. This overturned the Missouri Compromise and allowed for the importation of slaves into the territories.

In 1850, Democrats passed the Fugitive Slave Law. If merely accused of being a slave, even if the person enjoyed freedom all of his or her life (as approximately 11 percent of blacks did just before the Civil War), the person lost the right to representation by an attorney, the right to trial by jury, and the right to habeas corpus.

Republican President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War. In 1865, the 13th Amendment emancipating the slaves was passed with 100 percent of Republicans (88 of 88 in the House, 30 of 30 in the Senate) voting for it. Only 23 percent of Democrats (16 of 66 in the House, 3 of 8 in the Senate) voted for it.

In 1868, the 14th Amendment was passed giving the newly emancipated blacks full civil rights and federal guarantee of those rights, superseding any state laws. Every single voting Republican (128 of 134 -- with 6 not voting -- in the House, and 30 of 32 -- with 2 not voting -- in the Senate) voted for the 14th Amendment. Not a single Democrat (zero of 36 in the House, zero of 6 in the Senate) voted for it.

When Southern states balked at implementing the 14th Amendment, Congress came back and passed the 15th Amendment in 1870, guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. Every single Republican voted for it, with every Democrat voting against it.

In 1872 congressional investigations, Democrats admitted beginning the Klan as an effort to stop the spread of the Republican Party and to re-establish Democratic control in Southern states. As PBS' "American Experience" notes, "In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power. The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1865." Blacks, who were all Republican at that time, became the primary targets of violence

Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil rights laws passed until 1957. In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil rights laws. That enabled the Southern Democrats to pass the Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, literacy tests, and so on, in their individual states.

Civil rights in the '60s? Only 64 percent of Democrats in Congress voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act (153 for, 91 against in the House; and 46 for, 21 against in the Senate). But 80 percent of Republicans (136 for, 35 against in the House; and 27 for, 6 against in the Senate) voted for the 1964 Act.

The True History of the Democratic Racist Party

The Left is going after Rand Paul over the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Why, Rand Paul secretly wants to repeal it, they say, which means we’d have segregated restaurants all over again. Now any non-hysteric knows a segregated restaurant would be boycotted and picketed out of existence within ten seconds, but we’re supposed to fret about fictional outcomes from the repeal of a law that will never be repealed. And certainly we cannot question the 1964 Act, since our betters have decided the matter is closed.
The American Conservative Rand Paul and the Zombies

That about sums it up.
I don't know that this is true. Don't libertarians believe a business has the right to serve whomever they wish?

Yes, and libertarians also believe that the market will handle these kinds of issues as well.

We know damn right well that a business only serving whites will soon be OUT of business.

Society has grown the hell up since 1964, Rav. Sure, there are still the idiots. But for the most part, we have progressed to a point where a law like that in reality is just unnecessary.

If you don't agree, then you apparently don't think we've advanced all that much on race.

Meanwhile though, a black man sits in the oval office. :eusa_whistle:

Is your point that now the Republicans are picking up the racist rhetoric that the Democrats abandoned 45 years ago?

Don't you clowns have a Senator by the name of Robert Bird that is a former KKK member? :razz:

Oh but I guess that's ok because it's you assholes? ~BH

Don't you clowns have a Senator by the name of Robert Bird that is a former KKK member? :razz:

Yeah, Byrd is former KKK. Rand Paul appears to be present and future KKK. I'd say that's a difference.

I don't know that this is true. Don't libertarians believe a business has the right to serve whomever they wish?

Yes, and libertarians also believe that the market will handle these kinds of issues as well.

We know damn right well that a business only serving whites will soon be OUT of business.

Society has grown the hell up since 1964, Rav. Sure, there are still the idiots. But for the most part, we have progressed to a point where a law like that in reality is just unnecessary.

If you don't agree, then you apparently don't think we've advanced all that much on race.

Meanwhile though, a black man sits in the oval office. :eusa_whistle:

When do you estimate segregation in the South would have ended had the government not intervened?

I'd say within the next few years (after '64) or so.

People evolve in the social sense, even without government intervention.

The south turned red right after the Civil Rights Act passed.

They blamed LBJ for it, and stopped voting Democrat because of it.

That is why the Republican "Southern Strategy" worked as it did.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to Nixon political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it, but merely popularized it. In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

While Phillips sought to polarize ethnic voting in general, and not just to win the white South, the South was by far the biggest prize yielded by his approach. Its success began at the presidential level, gradually trickling down to statewide offices, the Senate and House, as some legacy segregationist Democrats retired or switched to the GOP.

Now, by this, I'm not implying that racist Democratic representatives suddenly went Republican, though a few did. What I am saying is that racist voters in the south started voting for the GOP instead of the Democrats, thus ushering a new generation of GOP racists.

This new generation was not stupid, however. Unlike the Byrd generation, they kept their more extreme ideas under wraps. Nixon, for instance, was known to make many racist comments off-the-record.

And, this is very important: By this I am in no way implying that ALL Republicans are racist. I am simply stating that many racists moved from voting Dem to voting Republican, producing many racist Republican representatives.

Last edited:

Yeah, Byrd is former KKK. Rand Paul appears to be present and future KKK. I'd say that's a difference.

Yeah, Rand wants to burn crosses and kill black people? If you believe that then You're truly a fucking idiot bro. ~BH

As far as this particular person is concerned though, I would say he is not racist, just an idealogue.

If you understand the basic tenets of Libertarianism, you realize that they simply don't want any government intervention in general, and affirmative action just happens to fall under that heading.

That is not racism.

As far as this particular person is concerned though, I would say he is not racist, just an idealogue.

If you understand the basic tenets of Libertarianism, you realize that they simply don't want any government intervention in general, and affirmative action just happens to fall under that heading.

That is not racism.
I agree. They are simply misguided.

Yeah, Rand wants to burn crosses and kill black people? If you believe that then You're truly a fucking idiot bro. ~BH

Go read the KKK's political platform, then come back and tell me how much of it you agree with. :lol::lol:

That is not racism.

Now yuh see Vast, I do respect you because you're a reasonable person. I wish you convince some of your fellow comrades to abandon their mentally ill race baiting assumptions about this Man. It only makes them look like bottomfeeding Jackals. ~BH

Go read the KKK's political platform, then come back and tell me how much of it you agree with. :lol::lol:

carb, I spent so many years respecting you as a poster there and here. Of course we disagree Politically, and it wasn't always either. You seem to have lost any commonsense and turned into a racist yourself? That's a shame bro. I know you're a smart guy, and that's why it's a shame. ~BH

Forum List

Back