Boston Marathon Bombing

When I heard about what happened in Boston yesterday, I had just come from the funeral of my last living grandparent who passed away last Wednesday at the age of 91. If any of y'all here are connected in any way to anyone who was at that marathon, I just want y'all to know that I pray for your family and friends and everyone else who was there.

God bless you and everyone in the Boston area always!!!

Holly

We still know nothing about who may have done this, what we do know is that it is no doubt an act of cowardice and terrorism....
Oh? You mean like the same sorts of acts the U.S. military and government have perpetrated thousands and thousands of times for many decades all over the world?

Two bombs, the second detonated as first responders arrived on the scene.
A tactic used in the past by the IRA and their al Quaida allies.
I doubt it was Al Qaeda. The huge cloud of white smoke strongly suggests the explosive was (sulfurous) gunpowder. Al Qaeda bombers are far too advanced to use something that primitive. They know how to make ANFO, which is basically what Timothy McVeigh used in Oklahoma City. That would have caused ten times the damage of yesterday's bombs.

I don't know who or what is worse, the guy or group who murdered two and attempted to murder over 100, or those using this to point fingers, place blame and further whatever political agenda.
Oh, I don't think anyone who is not crazed would have any difficulty deciding that question.

Two bombs, the second detonated as first responders arrived on the scene.
A tactic used in the past by the IRA and their al Quaida allies.
I doubt it was Al Qaeda. The huge cloud of white smoke strongly suggests the explosive was (sulfurous) gunpowder. Al Qaeda bombers are far too advanced to use something that primitive. They know how to make ANFO, which is basically what Timothy McVeigh used in Oklahoma City. That would have caused ten times the damage of yesterday's bombs.

pressure cooker bombs such as this have been used in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, etc. And the Ft. Hood bomber did as well.

Last edited:
If this attack did nothing else it absolutely shined a very bright light on the extent of division in the country and answer the question of whether or not it will survive intact.

You are correct.

When we were attacked on 9/11, nearly the entire country was behind Bush. When we are attacked now, many righties attack Obama instead of supporting him. Most of the righties are showing their true colors.

Your display of ignorance is blinding. Anyone who thinks the entire country was behind Bush didn't pay attention.

Security in that area would not be possible unless they completely change the nature of the venue.

If you've ever been to the Boston Marathon there you'd understand how nearly impossible it would be to truly secure the area.

I mean you could secure it, but then there'd be nobody at the finish line.

There are spectators along the whole 26 miles of that race and the last few blocks down from MASS AVE on Boyleston Street is a teaming mass of humanity.

New York can secure Times Square on New Year's Eve. Los Angeles can secure the entire Rose Parade route on New Year's day.

BOSTON can't secure the marathon route? Really? Are they that bad up there.

You are correct.

When we were attacked on 9/11, nearly the entire country was behind Bush. When we are attacked now, many righties attack Obama instead of supporting him. Most of the righties are showing their true colors.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Have you heard the latest about how they're going to be checking everyone's bags and backpacks in Boston? We've completely lost our freedom. The terrorists won after 9/11, we are the ones who lost our freedom with the TSA and the patriot act, this is just going to put us that much more over the line into a fascist state.

Bag checks...how terrible.

Another step toward tyranny and all you think it is wonderful because it makes you feel safe.

They can check my bag anytime they want to. I have nothing to hide. If it helps keep everyone in the USA safer...then by all means, be my guest to check.

But that's me.

I have nothing to hide either, but that does not mean they can check my bags.

In our slumber of arrogance and false sense of security, we will always need something to open our eyes.

Open our eyes and do what? Asking for more TSA organizations to further curb our freedoms? That's what happened after 9/11. Everybody wanted to be safe, so they cried for an iron wall. Problem is, they started having issues themselves getting through it as well over time.

No. Those who are willing to give up a essential liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (Benjamin Franklin?) But then again, when was the last time we had a group of terrorists run a plane into a building after that? Hey here's an idea, restrict the TSA to the powers it had right after 9/11! It's seems to have worked up until now.

So how do we keep our country safe? There can be no such thing as "absolute liberty" or "absolute safety". But we have to strike a balance between the two. I am not advocating that anyone be stripped of their rights. But if you take a flight somewhere, you'll sure as heck be happy that such security measures got you home also.

The TSA has done nothing to keep even one terrorist off any plane in the country. In fact, the only real terrorist they ever saw walked right past them and got on a plane, even though they had his name.

They can check my bag anytime they want to. I have nothing to hide. If it helps keep everyone in the USA safer...then by all means, be my guest to check.

But that's me.

how far will you go

how much freedom will you give up

to help keep us safe

will you allow the cops to search your home

would you allow the government to control

what books you can read

how about listening in on your phone calls

or searching your bank accounts

No
No
No
No

But, if I chose to use a service, i.e. airline, then I have to go by their rules. Otherwise....drive. Flying in a plane is not a right. You want to use their service? Go by their rules. If I go to a ballpark and they want to check my bags? Fine. If I go in a mall and have packages with me from another mall or even a huge purse and they want to check it? Fine. I am entering their mall. I go by their rules. Or...I don't go to their mall at all. My choice.

Except they are searching bags on streets, and the TSA has even set up checkpoints on roads to search cars. They need to be shut down now.

Open our eyes and do what? Asking for more TSA organizations to further curb our freedoms? That's what happened after 9/11. Everybody wanted to be safe, so they cried for an iron wall. Problem is, they started having issues themselves getting through it as well over time.

No. Those who are willing to give up a essential liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (Benjamin Franklin?) But then again, when was the last time we had a group of terrorists run a plane into a building after that? Hey here's an idea, restrict the TSA to the powers it had right after 9/11! It's seems to have worked up until now.

So how do we keep our country safe? There can be no such thing as "absolute liberty" or "absolute safety". But we have to strike a balance between the two. I am not advocating that anyone be stripped of their rights. But if you take a flight somewhere, you'll sure as heck be happy that such security measures got you home also.

The TSA has done nothing to keep even one terrorist off any plane in the country. In fact, the only real terrorist they ever saw walked right past them and got on a plane, even though they had his name.
shit happens! weren't you just raving about tyranny,and how they will not check your bags?

Homeland Security and the TSA might search you, but the can't search Saudi nationals. They are in the trusted traveler program.

Lawmakers question 'trusted' status for Saudi travelers - Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

Republican Homeland Security leaders are knocking the Homeland Security Department’s decision to extend a trusted traveler program to Saudi Arabia before countries like the United Kingdom and France.
Secretary Janet Napolitano reached an agreement in January with a top Saudi official to begin work on granting Global Entry status to Saudi Arabian citizens, allowing “pre-approved, low-risk travelers” to pass through customs more quickly in the United States at major U.S. airports.

Experts say the two bombs used near the Boston Marathon finish line were built using pressure cookers, and contained black powder or gunpowder as the explosive and ball bearings as shrapnel. Experts say instructions on how to design such bombs are available on the Internet.

Officials said today no one is in custody and there is no clear motive in the Monday blasts that killed three people and injured more than 170, the worst terror attack on U.S. soil since 9/11

Boston Marathon bombings: Investigators hunt for clues in deadly attack - chicagotribune.com

If this attack did nothing else it absolutely shined a very bright light on the extent of division in the country and answer the question of whether or not it will survive intact.

You are correct.

Your display of ignorance is blinding. Anyone who thinks the entire country was behind Bush didn't pay attention.

Which is why I used the word nearly, obviously you struggle with reading and reading comprehension. 90% approval rating is nearly the entire country.

shit happens! weren't you just raving about tyranny,and how they will not check your bags?

Didn't I just say I want to get rid of the TSA? Should I repeat it in all my posts just so you don't get confused?

Forum List

Back