Bowie - The greatest of all time

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Ive got a wide interest in music and I am one of those people who will listen to an album all day, if the wife has gone out.
We were talking about this the other day and there was agreement that David Bowie is the greatest artist ever produced since rock started.
He has produced more classics than anyone else and more importantly a wider range of work than anyone else.
The only artist to come close is probably Prince but he lost it a bit at the end.

I cant think of anyone else in the same league.

Ive got a wide interest in music and I am one of those people who will listen to an album all day, if the wife has gone out.
We were talking about this the other day and there was agreement that David Bowie is the greatest artist ever produced since rock started.
He has produced more classics than anyone else and more importantly a wider range of work than anyone else.
The only artist to come close is probably Prince but he lost it a bit at the end.

He was pretty good, but he really wasn't a trans sexual. That was just a show - sorry.

I would suggest Mozart's piano concerto 21- 2nd. movement.

Granted not the 'same league'!

And for a real treat, listen to Hauser's adaptation for Cello!

The fact that the guy couldn't have a #1 hit without enlisting performance assistance from Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger should tell you he's not the greatest. Surely someone labeled "the greatest" could do that on his own.

Sure, he was a remarkable talent, but the greatest? I'd go with Elton John long, who had nine #1 hits, before I would David Bowie...

The fact that the guy couldn't have a #1 hit without the help of Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger should tell you he's not the greatest. Surely someone labeled "the greatest" could do that on his own.

Sure, he was a remarkable talent, but the greatest? I'd go with Elton John long before I would David Bowie...
When we think about classics and wider range of work, the ones who come to my mind are Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones, and most of them are not even finished yet.

Last edited:
The fact that the guy couldn't have a #1 hit without enlisting performance assistance from Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger should tell you he's not the greatest. Surely someone labeled "the greatest" could do that on his own.

Sure, he was a remarkable talent, but the greatest? I'd go with Elton John long, who had nine #1 hits, before I would David Bowie...
Having a number one is hardly the mark of genius. This was number one in the UK once.

Elton cites Bowie as an influence.Particularly in his early years.

Mozart never did anything to match Queen Bitch.
I was just hoping to introduce some others to something great. Sunni man thanked me but I would guess it's not new to him.

When we think about classics and wider range of work, the ones who come to my mind are Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones, and most of them are not even finished yet.

Maybe Dylan, who's recorded somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 albums. Elton John has recorded 31, where as Bowie recorded 26.

The problem with Dylan, compared to the others, is that he doesn't stretch his creativity all that much. His music is good, but it's relatively all the same. Elton John ran the gamut from tender singer-songwriter stuff to glitz. Even Bowie was a chameleon in that respect. The Beatles did it (certainly with Sgt. Pepper), but they only released 13 albums...

Having a number one is hardly the mark of genius. This was number one in the UK once.

Well, I think that speaks to the taste in music you Brits have more than anything else...

Elton cites Bowie as an influence.Particularly in his early years.

So?

That only means that Bowie came along first. Bowie cites Velvet Underground as an influence. Does that mean Lou Reed is a greater artist than Bowie?

Forum List

Back