Bowling.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I have not been back to the gym yet. I ride an expensive bicycle 50 miles a day though I am careful to ride circuits now and do not cross state lines. I avoid the city. I signed up for league bowling this year two nights a week, but rules are very different-every other lane and shifts if too many teams overwhelm the reduced number of lanes. No children allowed and masked spectators must keep their distance. We can take off our masks to throw the ball but must wear one at all other times. Bowling is important because it is a night out in the dark days of winter.

Oddly, there are no rules about hand touching. I should have brought this up at the meeting, but I did not. I use elbows and at least that should be rule.

I have not been back to the gym yet. I ride an expensive bicycle 50 miles a day though I am careful to ride circuits now and do not cross state lines. I avoid the city. I signed up for league bowling this year two nights a week, but rules are very different-every other lane and shifts if too many teams overwhelm the reduced number of lanes. No children allowed and masked spectators must keep their distance. We can take off our masks to throw the ball but must wear one at all other times. Bowling is important because it is a night out in the dark days of winter.

Oddly, there are no rules about hand touching. I should have brought this up at the meeting, but I did not. I use elbows and at least that should be rule.
It sounds like you're getting out and about, Ray. That's a very good thing. I like bowling, I don't think I've bowled in 7 or 8 years. I need to do this again soon. Thanks for your post.

50 miles a day is pretty intense. By comparison, I'm a weakling. I do 30 minutes a day on a stationary bike or stepper and lift some light weights. I also have a sauna I use occasionally to sweat out some of the alcohol I drink. Our league starts in Sept and I too am ready for it. I'm not really sure about our rules but I do know the enrollment is down for this session. I'll just show up with my hand sanitizer, mask, ball and shoes and go with the flow. It'll be good to see all the people again. Good luck to you

• Banned

50 miles a day is pretty intense. By comparison, I'm a weakling. I do 30 minutes a day on a stationary bike or stepper and lift some light weights. I also have a sauna I use occasionally to sweat out some of the alcohol I drink. Our league starts in Sept and I too am ready for it. I'm not really sure about our rules but I do know the enrollment is down for this session. I'll just show up with my hand sanitizer, mask, ball and shoes and go with the flow. It'll be good to see all the people again. Good luck to you
I used to race. Cycling is a European sport like baseall is here so it is exotic to most Americans. I have had seven concussions from crashing over the years. Lucky for me I always wore a helmet which is whay I am still alive.

Last edited:
I bowl at two establishments in Western Pennsylvania and the rules are pretty much the same. You must wear a mask when you enter and leave, and if you are moving about while bowling (going to the restroom or visiting someone on another lane). You can take it off to bowl. They are separating groups, but that's only because there are a lot fewer bowlers and it's not a space issue.

Many bowlers are choosing not to bowl this year, for obvious reasons.

50 miles a day? You must be a flat-lander. Nobody but an elite athlete could do 50-a-day in my area.

• Banned
I bowl at two establishments in Western Pennsylvania and the rules are pretty much the same. You must wear a mask when you enter and leave, and if you are moving about while bowling (going to the restroom or visiting someone on another lane). You can take it off to bowl. They are separating groups, but that's only because there are a lot fewer bowlers and it's not a space issue.

Many bowlers are choosing not to bowl this year, for obvious reasons.

50 miles a day? You must be a flat-lander. Nobody but an elite athlete could do 50-a-day in my area.
I'm 73. The last bicycle race I was in (2008) I finished in the first pack of 50-year-olds because they had no category for my age group. Flat? don't I wish. I live in New Hampshire, lots of mountains. I took some time off this week to get balls drilled and throw some.

Got your balls drilled? Must have been painful. At your age, that shouldn't be necessary for contraceptive purposes. Or is that a euphemism for some sexual adventure?

I will turn 71 in a couple weeks, God willing. I tried something I've never done before today on the bike. I went to a bike course that is basically a flat oval with banked turns. I wanted to see how fast I could go on level ground. Over the first half hour I averaged a smidge over 15mph, although my bike is not exactly designed for speed. My usual pace over hilly terrain is an average of 10-11mph.

Forum List

Back