🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Boys missing at sea :(

My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.
At fourteen you weren't allowed to cross the street? That's kind of sad.

Let's put it this way, an adult will stop and assess the situation in most cases and will say, "well, it's looking rather choppy out there, perhaps we should turn back now." Whereas, 14-year-old boys will say something to the effect of "Aww, this is nothing, we're expert boaters" or "aww, we'll just hang out for a little while longer and then turn back." Adults have critical-thinking skills. Most children do not.
Don't fool yourself. A lot of the "adults" out there are swilling beer while boating.

Thus why the parents had made rules to stay within the intracoastal confines and to contact then every couple of hours.

I remember rules I and my friends were given when we got our drivers license. I followed most of mine, and so did others, but a few pushed the limits, such as drag racing down streets.

The "experienced boater" remark is bothering me. There is a difference between boating on inter coastal water ways and boating on high seas.

My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.
My son got his first boat at 6.

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

Pretty low class to attack parents over this.

I disagree. When I grew up my parents would have never let us kids take off in a boat on the ocean.

Not low class at all. Just smart.
Their parents told them not to go into the ocean, only the bay.

Had a friend as a senior in high school, the quarterback, hit by a drunk adult boater that ran over his leg while along the shoreline on an intertube. They saved his leg, but it took multiple surgeries and years of rehab. Never played again, and he had received a full scholarship.
Let's put it this way, an adult will stop and assess the situation in most cases and will say, "well, it's looking rather choppy out there, perhaps we should turn back now." Whereas, 14-year-old boys will say something to the effect of "Aww, this is nothing, we're expert boaters" or "aww, we'll just hang out for a little while longer and then turn back." Adults have critical-thinking skills. Most children do not.
Don't fool yourself. A lot of the "adults" out there are swilling beer while boating.

These boys have grown up around the water and boats. I grew up around water and boats. If you haven't grown up that way you wouldn't understand. It is a part of life. As Joe Namath said, he knew the boys and they were good boys. They made a stupid and possibly tragic decision.

It is no different from a boy growing up climbing trees and one day deciding to venture further out on a small limb and it giving out and their landing on their head. They have been told what could happen, but curiosity gets the best of them. We can't protect our children from every possible bad decision they could make. We can guide them, and hope they make wise decisions, but that will not always be the case. And I truly believe that we are to guide our kids, help grow their critical thinking and reasoning skills, so they hopefully make the right decisions. By protecting them from life they don't learn how to deal with life and its curve balls that inevitably come.

The parents had a rule not to enter the ocean, only fish in the intracoastal. The boys decided on their own to venture out.

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

I disagree. When I grew up my parents would have never let us kids take off in a boat on the ocean.

Exactly. This is why I wouldn't let my 14-year-old boy do this type of thing without some kind of adult supervision, boys this age are known to be risk takers and to break rules. This is what I'm trying to say here.

If there had been adult supervision, this probably would not have happened. While it is legal for a 14-year-old to take a boat out, I would not allow that as a parent. That is an unnecessary risk, when you could just go along. The ocean is very dangerous and unpredictable.

They were not allowed out on the ocean. You don't seem to understand that.
It is tragic, but we cannot protect our kids from all bad decisions they could make. If they routinely make bad decisions, then you can withold privileges, but these kids were known to be good kids.
Your determination to place blame on parents that obviously raised good kids, and those kids made a tragic mistake, is beyond reprehensible. They had sensible rules that would have been enough if followed like they had previously done on a number of occasions.
Do you not think they question themselves enough already for the mistake their kids own?

These boys have grown up around the water and boats. I grew up around water and boats. If you haven't grown up that way you wouldn't understand. It is a part of life. As Joe Namath said, he knew the boys and they were good boys. They made a stupid and possibly tragic decision.

It is no different from a boy growing up climbing trees and one day deciding to venture further out on a small limb and it giving out and their landing on their head. They have been told what could happen, but curiosity gets the best of them. We can't protect our children from every possible bad decision they could make. We can guide them, and hope they make wise decisions, but that will not always be the case. And I truly believe that we are to guide our kids, help grow their critical thinking and reasoning skills, so they hopefully make the right decisions. By protecting them from life they don't learn how to deal with life and its curve balls that inevitably come.

The parents had a rule not to enter the ocean, only fish in the intracoastal. The boys decided on their own to venture out.

Exactly. This is why I wouldn't let my 14-year-old boy do this type of thing without some kind of adult supervision, boys this age are known to be risk takers and to break rules. This is what I'm trying to say here.

If there had been adult supervision, this probably would not have happened. While it is legal for a 14-year-old to take a boat out, I would not allow that as a parent. That is an unnecessary risk, when you could just go along. The ocean is very dangerous and unpredictable.

It is tragic, but we cannot protect our kids from all bad decisions they could make. If they routinely make bad decisions, then you can withold privileges, but these kids were known to be good kids.
Your determination to place blame on parents that obviously raised good kids, and those kids made a tragic mistake, is beyond reprehensible. They had sensible rules that would have been enough if followed like they had previously done on a number of occasions.
Do you not think they question themselves enough already for the mistake their kids own?

I'm sorry, but I think it is different. A LOT different. I think that 14 is too young to be off on a boat without adult supervision. K? That doesn't mean I wouldn't let my child do regular every day activities, like cross the road or go to a friend's house or ride his bike. It means I see this as an unnecessary risk.

What do you think of kids that ski down mountains, even in their parent's or instructor's presence? With the parent there they could still make a wrong move and run into a tree. Would you then call the parent irresponsible?
We will have to agree to disagree. I find life is inherently full of risks at every age, but find it also worth raising kids with a certain amount of freedom, after proper instruction, to learn to live life to its fullest, rather than cower from living.

I'm sorry, but I think it is different. A LOT different. I think that 14 is too young to be off on a boat without adult supervision. K? That doesn't mean I wouldn't let my child do regular every day activities, like cross the road or go to a friend's house or ride his bike. It means I see this as an unnecessary risk.

What do you think of kids that ski down mountains, even in their parent's or instructor's presence? With the parent there they could still make a wrong move and run into a tree. Would you then call the parent irresponsible?
We will have to agree to disagree. I find life is inherently full of risks at every age, but find it also worth raising kids with a certain amount of freedom, after proper instruction, rather than cower from living.

Sure, I just think 14 is too young to go out on a boat unattended by an adult. Agree, don't agree. I don't care. :)

Their parents told them not to go into the ocean, only the bay.

Exactly. The parents told them not to do it because the parents know it is dangerous. These are two boys who went against what their parents said because they were without adult supervision apparently. That is because they are too young. If they were as experienced as everyone seems to say they were, they would have known better to go out on the rough ocean in a relatively small boat.

Is there no thread on this. I looked, but I found nothing. Anyways, there are two 14-year-old boys who are missing at sea right now. Apparently, they are experienced boaters, so their parents trusted them to be out on their own on a small boat in a rough ocean. I don't agree because 14-year-olds, no matter how mature and/or experienced they might be, are still just kids. Kids tend to make bad decisions and get themselves in trouble. This is the reason why 14-year-olds are still minors. They still need parenting and guidance! Now, I don't want to be too hard on these families because they must be going through sheer hell right about now. I feel for them, I really do. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for them, and I am hoping beyond hope that they find at least one of these boys alive, but hopes are dimming with each passing day. Let's all send positive vibes their way and hope these boys are found.

Search for missing teens Floating object found near boat

Many 14 year old boys believe they can do anything. I had that disease. 14 year olds are driven primarily by their hormones. That is why they are not issued drivers licences. One of my cousins was 14 when he rode his motorcycle into the back of a flatbed truck at high speed severing his head. My dad's brother's son at 14 jumped off of a barn roof into what he thought was a patch of blackberries to discover a small dead tree hidden within that impaled him from his nether region right up past his heart. He DID survive after swaying on the treetop until it broke off and crawling 1/4 mile to the farm house.

I would suggest that these boys were very likely doing something stupid with the boat which caused it to capsize. It is highly likely that they were not innocent victims but took chances that physics and common sense would not support.

When I was even younger I was sent out to the wilderness alone to hunt, survive, and perform certain tasks as one of my rites of passage into manhood. Smothering children, which you and several other idiots on this thread seem to think is ok, seems to be a white man's quirk. The rest of the world throughout history has seen the wisdom of letting their boys become men. I could have eaten something poisonous or been torn apart by wild animals, but it was an experience I'll treasure forever and I had a right to take that risk.
So, telling two 14 year olds that they should not take their 19 foot boat out into the ocean without adult supervision is smothering them? No, that is called being a responsible parent.

When I was even younger I was sent out to the wilderness alone to hunt, survive, and perform certain tasks as one of my rites of passage into manhood. Smothering children, which you and several other idiots on this thread seem to think is ok, seems to be a white man's quirk. The rest of the world throughout history has seen the wisdom of letting their boys become men. I could have eaten something poisonous or been torn apart by wild animals, but it was an experience I'll treasure forever and I had a right to take that risk.
So, telling two 14 year olds that they should not take their 19 foot boat out into the ocean without adult supervision is smothering them? No, that is called being a responsible parent.
I'm glad my parents weren't "responsible" or I might have ended up like all the passion bereft pussies I see on this thread. I followed the tradition of my father, his father, his father's father, and my ancestors for thousands of years, a proud tradition of a people not governed by womanly values as you clearly are.

Is there no thread on this. I looked, but I found nothing. Anyways, there are two 14-year-old boys who are missing at sea right now. Apparently, they are experienced boaters, so their parents trusted them to be out on their own on a small boat in a rough ocean. I don't agree because 14-year-olds, no matter how mature and/or experienced they might be, are still just kids. Kids tend to make bad decisions and get themselves in trouble. This is the reason why 14-year-olds are still minors. They still need parenting and guidance! Now, I don't want to be too hard on these families because they must be going through sheer hell right about now. I feel for them, I really do. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for them, and I am hoping beyond hope that they find at least one of these boys alive, but hopes are dimming with each passing day. Let's all send positive vibes their way and hope these boys are found.

Search for missing teens Floating object found near boat

Many 14 year old boys believe they can do anything. I had that disease. 14 year olds are driven primarily by their hormones. That is why they are not issued drivers licences. One of my cousins was 14 when he rode his motorcycle into the back of a flatbed truck at high speed severing his head. My dad's brother's son at 14 jumped off of a barn roof into what he thought was a patch of blackberries to discover a small dead tree hidden within that impaled him from his nether region right up past his heart. He DID survive after swaying on the treetop until it broke off and crawling 1/4 mile to the farm house.

I would suggest that these boys were very likely doing something stupid with the boat which caused it to capsize. It is highly likely that they were not innocent victims but took chances that physics and common sense would not support.

My gosh, that is terrible.

I'm glad my parents weren't "responsible" or I might have ended up like all the passion bereft pussies I see on this thread. I followed the tradition of my father, his father, his father's father, and my ancestors for thousands of years, a proud tradition of a people not governed by womanly values as you clearly are.

Oh get lost. Nobody cares. :blahblah: According to you, children should be exposed to your genitals, so who would take you seriously?

Passion bereft pussies? What the fuck is your tiny little brain trying to say? Your made up story about being tossed into the wilderness at the age of 10 or 11 to fend for yourself is amusing. See that in a movie, perhaps? Dream it in your big boy bed? I suppose you think all laws that prevent children from certain activities, driving, drinking, carrying a handgun are all signs of our weakness as a nation. Your parents would have been better off giving you some intellectual ability and the schooling to hone your critical thinking skills. All that time in the wilderness has suppressed whatever intellect you were born with.

I agree. They are not "little adults." They are in a growth phase and their bodies are going through changes. No, they are not always clear thinking and rational people. The reason why we consider them children still. And the "well adults do this and blah, blah, blah" crap is really getting old. So what? Some adults are more like children. Big deal. Does that mean we should now treat children like adults? No.

Cohen and Stephanos have the high temperatures in their favor. "With the water temperatures being a little warmer than typical, a person could survive for four or five days, possibly longer if they hang on to anything that floats," said Chris Caplan, who's been searching for the teens in a friend's plane. "These boys are everyday boaters. They know what to do to survive."

The Coast Guard has searched an area roughly the size of Kentucky – some 41,000 square miles. But as the days continue to pass, the discussion has turned to when to give up the search.

"That is a gut-wrenching decision," Fedor said Wednesday, according to CNN. "We are looking at all aspects of the case, but that is something we have to talk about as we move forward."

For now, though, he emphasized that the search remains "active and open."

The boys' families are not giving up either. "The kids are very strong-willed," Blu Stephanos, Austin's father, told Fox News.

"They have a Yeti cooler, a 65-gallon cooler, they have three life jackets, a throw cushion, and I know they've got the will, they've got the want, and they have the skills. So there's no doubt in my mind that they're still out there and they're still waiting to be found."

Florida Teens Lost at Sea Have Been Missing for Six Days People.com

Forum List

Back