🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Boys missing at sea :(

yall are full of concern but apparently not one of you has read the story or paid attention....the kids were suppose to stay in the protected bay.....fish in the bay....the agreement with the parents....and like fucking 14 yr olds everywhere....they decided to head out to sea....no one knows why....perhaps they saw a school of fish ...no one will ever know....but the parents did not allow them to go to the ocean....

judge mental fucks

I note that in post #13, and as I noted the fact that they did not follow the rules set forth by their parents for their own safety is a consequence of their AGE and immaturity and natural risk-taking behavior. Yes, teens are certainly more than capable of taking on responsibilities, age APPROPRIATE responsibilities that is.

Hey, I certainly do not blame the parents here. I am quite sure that they loved their sons and only wanted what was best for them. I just wonder if there had been adult on board with them, would this had still happened? Or was it something due to poor judgement made by these children who are going to be risk takers because of their ages? Meh regardless though, ruminating about it is rather pointless now. It's a shame stuff like this happens, and it always pulls at my heart strings when it involves kids.

so who determines what is age appropriate for a teenager......my son has been climbing since he was 7 ish or so.....climbing is an inherently dangerous sport...my nephew had his pilots license at 15....he paid for all the lessons etc....the list goes on and on....who determines the age appropriate..what might be good for my kid is not necessarily good for your kid

of course it tugs at one's hearts.....how many of us have raised kids....and when we see these stories...think this could have been me...

and as much as it pains adults...this is what being 14 is all about....you are invincible....nothing will happen to you....you have adventure on the brain and little else....expanding your horizons....

With the storms we had, along with hitting the gulf stream, not hard to imagine in a 19 ft. boat. Something I am sure these kids never thought about. Still praying for a good outcome.
I am trying to find an explanation for the boat capsizing.

The parents had a rule not to enter the ocean, only fish in the intracoastal. The boys decided on their own to venture out.
My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.
My son got his first boat at 6.

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

Pretty low class to attack parents over this.

I disagree. When I grew up my parents would have never let us kids take off in a boat on the ocean.

Not low class at all. Just smart.

so who determines what is age appropriate for a teenager......my son has been climbing since he was 7 ish or so.....climbing is an inherently dangerous sport...my nephew had his pilots license at 15....he paid for all the lessons etc....the list goes on and on....who determines the age appropriate..what might be good for my kid is not necessarily good for your kid

Obviously, in this particular instance, it was NOT good for the kids. Hence why they are now lost. If there had been adult present, things might have turned out differently, but these are two young boys and even if they might be "experienced" at 14-year-old, you really cannot claim much "experience" in anything because you are still a child who has only existed for 14 years.

The parents had a rule not to enter the ocean, only fish in the intracoastal. The boys decided on their own to venture out.
My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

I disagree. When I grew up my parents would have never let us kids take off in a boat on the ocean.

Exactly. This is why I wouldn't let my 14-year-old boy do this type of thing without some kind of adult supervision, boys this age are known to be risk takers and to break rules. This is what I'm trying to say here.

with todays technology....arent kids gps ed now? if that were available 30 years ago i would have chipped my son....in a new york minute

On my local news channel, they talked about a GPS device that they make for $250 that you can have on the boat with you. If the device makes contact with the salt water, it automatically sends an SOS signal. Too bad they didn't have one.

Well, the ocean is very dangerous. More unpredictable than any rock. I could go into pirate mode here and say, "Arrrr, the ocean be a harsh mistress!" ;)

Let's put it this way, an adult will stop and assess the situation in most cases and will say, "well, it's looking rather choppy out there, perhaps we should turn back now." Whereas, 14-year-old boys will say something to the effect of "Aww, this is nothing, we're expert boaters" or "aww, we'll just hang out for a little while longer and then turn back." Adults have critical-thinking skills. Most children do not.

Exactly. This is why I wouldn't let my 14-year-old boy do this type of thing without some kind of adult supervision, boys this age are known to be risk takers and to break rules. This is what I'm trying to say here.
When I was even younger I was sent out to the wilderness alone to hunt, survive, and perform certain tasks as one of my rites of passage into manhood. Smothering children, which you and several other idiots on this thread seem to think is ok, seems to be a white man's quirk. The rest of the world throughout history has seen the wisdom of letting their boys become men. I could have eaten something poisonous or been torn apart by wild animals, but it was an experience I'll treasure forever and I had a right to take that risk.

I don't blame the parents though. I really don't. Everyone makes errors in judgments. It just so happens that sometimes you can't make up for that and it results in tragedy. :( I really feel terribly for them.

These boys have grown up around the water and boats. I grew up around water and boats. If you haven't grown up that way you wouldn't understand. It is a part of life. As Joe Namath said, he knew the boys and they were good boys. They made a stupid and possibly tragic decision.

It is no different from a boy growing up climbing trees and one day deciding to venture further out on a small limb and it giving out and their landing on their head. They have been told what could happen, but curiosity gets the best of them. We can't protect our children from every possible bad decision they could make. We can guide them, and hope they make wise decisions, but that will not always be the case. And I truly believe that we are to guide our kids, help grow their critical thinking and reasoning skills, so they hopefully make the right decisions. By protecting them from life they don't learn how to deal with life and its curve balls that inevitably come.

Many adults today don't have critical thinking skills because of helicopter parents.
Let's put it this way, an adult will stop and assess the situation in most cases and will say, "well, it's looking rather choppy out there, perhaps we should turn back now." Whereas, 14-year-old boys will say something to the effect of "Aww, this is nothing, we're expert boaters" or "aww, we'll just hang out for a little while longer and then turn back." Adults have critical-thinking skills. Most children do not.

The "experienced boater" remark is bothering me. There is a difference between boating on inter coastal water ways and boating on high seas.

Add Roadrunner to the list of USMB conservatives who are just awesome parents......and never miss a chance to tell you. The key to good parenting...give your kid a boat when he's 6 years old.
Just shut the fuck up asshole.

That hit home, didn't it? You awesome parent, you! Kudos on a job well done. You rock.

Forum List

Back