Brain Abnormalities Linked To Head Impacts After Just One Season Of High School Football

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
Wow. Pretty interesting. Wonder what the future of football is?

Based on a new study to be presented today at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), specialized MRI scans performed on high school football players--after just one season--revealed changes in brain tissue which correlated with exposure to head impacts.

"It's important to understand the potential changes occurring in the brain related to youth contact sports," said Elizabeth Moody Davenport, Ph.D., a postdoctoral researcher at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, who led this analysis. "We know that some professional football players suffer from a serious condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. We are attempting to find out when and how that process starts, so that we can keep sports a healthy activity for millions of children and adolescents."

The study evaluated 24 players from a North Carolina high school football team who wore a helmet equipped with the Head Impact Telemetry System(HITS) during all practices and games. The specially designed helmets were internally equipped with six specialized sensors known as accelerometers that measure the magnitude, location and direction of a hit.

A computer then analyzed uploaded data from the helmets.

"We saw changes in these young players' brains on both structural and functional imaging after a single season of football," said Davenport.
Brain Abnormalities Linked To Head Impacts After Just One Season Of High School Football

my boy wont play football because of all of the brain science coming out, for the same reason i wouldnt want him sitting at the dinner table banging his head with a hammer

• Banned
I have the answer.

Teams are spending all kinds of time and money developing helmets and gear that mitigate the effects of head trauma.

Have them play with NO helmets.

Do that, and you have to change the rules of the game. It becomes closer to rugby.

I have the answer. Teams are spending all kinds of time and money developing helmets and gear that mitigate the effects of head trauma. Have them play with NO helmets.
Do that, and you have to change the rules of the game. It becomes closer to rugby.
It sure would take away things like spearing collisions.

pick up games after school . School is for the ABC's plus get rid of sports and no reason to pay a coach .

pick up games after school . School is for the ABC's plus get rid of sports and no reason to pay a coach .

Regardless of what you think about football in particular and the risk of head injury, competitive sports have always proven to be a productive outlet for teenage angst, not to mention an excellent way of helping a developing youth learn to socialize, learn to deal with adversity, learn that losing a competition isn't the end of the world, and learn to operate in high stress environments. If you can't understand the educational value of organized sports, I daresay you ought to educate yourself.

I have been doing Muay Thai since I was a kid. I couldn't even begin to guesstimate how many times I have been punched or kicked in the head over the years. I'm perfectly fine. Millions of young men have played football in this country for over a century, subject to far more risk of injury than they are today, but suddenly now it's a problem

Regardless of what you think about football in particular and the risk of head injury, competitive sports have always proven to be a productive outlet for teenage angst, not to mention an excellent way of helping a developing youth learn to socialize, learn to deal with adversity, learn that losing a competition isn't the end of the world, and learn to operate in high stress environments. If you can't understand the educational value of organized sports, I daresay you ought to educate yourself.
------------------------------------------------ yeah , and look at what these young football players grow up to be when they get older and finally join up with their peers in the National FELONS League N2BE !!

I have been doing Muay Thai since I was a kid. I couldn't even begin to guesstimate how many times I have been punched or kicked in the head over the years. I'm perfectly fine. Millions of young men have played football in this country for over a century, subject to far more risk of injury than they are today, but suddenly now it's a problem
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i think the reason may be that football is American football . I played football as a kid , pickup games with at most an old guy on the side teaching us kids the rules .

------------------------------------------------ yeah , and look at what these young football players grow up to be when they get older and finally join up with their peers in the National FELONS League N2BE !!

Lol. Exactly the sort of opinion I assumed when I said you ought to educate yourself. Most years the per capita arrest rate of males in the general population averages about 2.5 times the arrest rate of NFL players. If the NFL is the National Felons League than the general population of the US is fuckin D block!

Granted, NFL players do significantly out stripe the general population in arrests specifically for violent crimes, but this boils down to a chicken or egg proposal. Does football take perfectly well balanced young men and turn them into violent psychopaths, or does a violent contact sport just have a tendency to attract people with violent predispositions?

Also, in the post to which you were responding, I was talking about organized sports in general, not just football.

Based on a new study to be presented today at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), specialized MRI scans performed on high school football players--after just one season--revealed changes in brain tissue which correlated with exposure to head impacts.

"It's important to understand the potential changes occurring in the brain related to youth contact sports," said Elizabeth Moody Davenport, Ph.D., a postdoctoral researcher at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, who led this analysis. "We know that some professional football players suffer from a serious condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. We are attempting to find out when and how that process starts, so that we can keep sports a healthy activity for millions of children and adolescents."

The study evaluated 24 players from a North Carolina high school football team who wore a helmet equipped with the Head Impact Telemetry System(HITS) during all practices and games. The specially designed helmets were internally equipped with six specialized sensors known as accelerometers that measure the magnitude, location and direction of a hit.

"We saw changes in these young players' brains on both structural and functional imaging after a single season of football," said Davenport.
So you played a few seasons, huh?

Lol. Exactly the sort of opinion I assumed when I said you ought to educate yourself. Most years the per capita arrest rate of males in the general population averages about 2.5 times the arrest rate of NFL players. If the NFL is the National Felons League than the general population of the US is fuckin D block!

Granted, NFL players do significantly out stripe the general population in arrests specifically for violent crimes, but this boils down to a chicken or egg proposal. Does football take perfectly well balanced young men and turn them into violent psychopaths, or does a violent contact sport just have a tendency to attract people with violent predispositions?

Also, in the post to which you were responding, I was talking about organized sports in general, not just football.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- no good for young kids and make couch potatoes of old men !! Still i'm not trying to outlaw it and my kids are grown so head injuries mean nothing to me . All you have to do is check out the criminals that young kids are idolizing NTB .

So you played a few seasons, huh?

Buh dum ching

Tilly made a funny!

suddenly now its studied*

Head injuries are a serious issue, and we will probably see helmets showing up in other sports that have traditionally lacked them, such as futbol, or soccer, as Americans call it.

The future is good as long as liberals don't have their way.

The future is that protection from head injuries will continue to improve, but it will remain a violent contact sport. Wussies like the OP will be afraid of it as they always have been, and tough kids will continue to learn a lot from it. A very tiny fraction of those kids will ever be good enough to compete at the NCAA Div. 1 level where the impacts are more severe, and a very, very tiny fraction of those kids will ever be good enough to think about playing at the pro level where things are remarkably violent.

Another of your OCD issues that you keep repeating endlessly despite the fact that your asinine fantasies will never come true. Sports are an important part of the school experience in the US and are NOT going away no matter how you whine.

Forum List

Back