Breaking News: There May Be Enough Invalidated Votes To Overturn Cochran Victory

He's calling on the state gop chair to instruct the circuit clerks (who are elected county officials) to turn over the votes to him? Good luck on that Chris.

there may be rain in California too ...

MAY being the keyword ...

Seems to work in many far left causes including the AGW scam, but hey it is not allowed unless it is a far left cause.

So they are saying that a number of people voted in both the Democrat primary in Mississippi on June 3, and in the Republican primary runoff on June 24.

Let me ask a dumb question, since I don't know the answer: Is it illegal for the same person to vote in both those elections?

I think the chances are slim the vote will be overturned. However, it is always best to wait for the FACTS to come in before making claims, conspiracies, or beliefs.

The vote was close enough that a recount is warranted. Let's see what shakes out.

I just hope the recount takes place in all precincts, not just ones chosen by one of the candidates.

BTW, the article also says:

"UPDATE: The Cochran campaign is reportedly asking county clerks not to certify the voting rolls until the last day possible so that the McDaniel people will not be able to look at the rolls and challenge them."

Does a candidate have any authority to ask (or force) the county clerks to change their counting and certification procedures, outside of formally asking for recounts?

I knew it.. I knew some of those people had already voted in their own primary.. law of statistics.. :) Good job McDaniel!

So they are saying that a number of people voted in both the Democrat primary in Mississippi on June 3, and in the Republican primary runoff on June 24.

Let me ask a dumb question, since I don't know the answer: Is it illegal for the same person to vote in both those elections?

You may not. If you voted in dem primary, you're done. All other voters may vote, regardless of party and regardless of whom they voted for on June 3. I posted some county vote totals yesterday, and each candidate had vote losses in some counties where the other had gains.

If you are far left it is perfectly legal, everyone else NO!

"UPDATE: The Cochran campaign is reportedly asking county clerks not to certify the voting rolls until the last day possible so that the McDaniel people will not be able to look at the rolls and challenge them."

The first half of that sentence may be fact. The second half (the part I bolded) is most certainly an unsubstantiated claim to a motive. I can think of another reason.

The first half of that sentence may be fact. The second half (the part I bolded) is most certainly an unsubstantiated claim to a motive. I can think of another reason.

JFC, the McDaniel folks are just not ready for prime time. The only way for them to challenge the election is:

Miss. Code Ann. § 23-15-923

MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972

*** Current through the 2013 Regular Session and 1st and 2nd Extraordinary Sessions ***

TITLE 23. ELECTIONS
CHAPTER 15. MISSISSIPPI ELECTION CODE
ARTICLE 29. ELECTION CONTESTS
B. CONTESTS OF PRIMARY ELECTIONS

Miss. Code Ann. § 23-15-923 (2013)

§ 23-15-923. Nominations with respect to state, congressional, and judicial districts, etc.; investigation, findings, and declaration of nominee

Except as otherwise provided in Section 23-15-961, a person desiring to contest the election of another returned as the nominee in state, congressional and judicial districts, and in legislative districts composed of more than one (1) county or parts of more than one (1) county, upon complaint filed with the Chairman of the State Executive Committee, by petition, reciting the grounds upon which the election is contested. If necessary and with the advice of four (4) members of said committee, the chairman shall issue his fiat to the chairman of the appropriate county executive committee, and in like manner as in the county office, the county committee shall investigate the complaint and return their findings to the chairman of the state committee. The State Executive Committee by majority vote of members present shall declare the true results of such primary.

HISTORY: SOURCES: Derived from 1942 Code § 3144 [Codes, Hemingway's 1917, § 6426; 1930, § 5897; Laws, 1908, ch. 136; repealed by Laws, ch. 495, § 346]; en, Laws, 1986, ch. 495, § 281; Laws, 1988, ch. 577, § 4, eff from and after December 9, 1988 (the date the United States Attorney General interposed no objection to the amendment).

McDaniel apparently thinks he has some right to peruse the election results personally. If Cochran asked that the results not be certified until the last day, than just gives McDaniel the maximum time to file a valid challenge.

Yes, is what they are saying and the reason being is that to vote in the primary you have to be in support of the person you voted for, we know that is not the case with the cross over democrats.

Now, in lies the problem. Who is to say who voted for whom? In other words so a person voted in the run off and should not have, how do you invalidate their vote? By asking them who they voted for? Anyone knowingly who cheated will simply say McDaniel. The only way the election gets turned around is if they are so many that did vote illegally then the courts could rule, after the Republican committee agrees, that the election was invalidated and they would do it once again.

Forum List

Back