BREAKING NEWS: Trump proposes 20% tax on imports from Mexico to pay for wall

images

Walmart is unchanged in after hours. Target is up .43....you were saying?

go big or go home

markets are higher than they've ever been and we are getting snark about stock prices?

This melt, which in now over 2 months, is the gift that keeps giving...

Watch Mexico do the same to us...

Trade war is coming.

Wouldn't this just cause American companies to start making products in America?

No. Instead of buying Mexican product, you buy one made in El Salvador and import the product into the US. What Mexico will do is sell the product to El Salvador who will turn around and sell it to us at a premium….

Won't American companies just move the companies to El salvador and cut out the middle man?
Who cares what Mexican companies do?

So will Mexico pay the extra 20% or will the cost be added to what the American consumer pays?

Yes it would do just that. But it also makes it more of an incentive to buy from goods not sold in Mexico. It would be devastating to them, which is why they will realize it's much cheaper to just help pay for the wall.

yes imagine getting products from central America instead of mexico

places in Africa would like our business as well

They make a lot of flat screen TV's in Africa do they?

well actually they do

hisense co produces flatcreen tvs in Africa

but if you had been smart enough to google

you could have figured that out on your own

you libs are always so lazy

They will move their factories or lose market share in the US, so of course they will close their factories in Mexico.
Closing factories will cost billions, it will never happen. The only losers will be the American consumer
It will cost millions, not billions, and it will cost more to lose market share in the US.
The loser will be the american consumer
American consumers will lose nothing because the federal government will lower taxes and remove unnecessary regulations to lower the cost of production and the states will offer other benefits as they compete for the new factories. Japanese cars manufactured in the US are price competitive with US cars manufactured in Mexico now, and the cost of production here will be even lower once the tax and regulator reforms are in place.
So we are going to lower taxes, just how much larger will our national debt be??
Whether the national debt increases or decreases because of the tax cuts will depend on how much the economy grows because of this stimulus.

So, the Mexicans are not paying for the wall because the revenue collected on imports which belongs to the American people will be used for that purpose. The American consumers, then, will be paying for the Trump Wall.
Until those manufacturers come back to US soil.
I believe the import duty of 20% will be added to all
Which will result in higher cost goods from Mexico. That fee will be passed on to the consumer for the most part. Fine by me. Build the damn wall.
You are correct; the American consumers will be paying for the Trump Wall.
So be it. I have no problem paying for my own security, do you?

Trade war is coming.

Wouldn't this just cause American companies to start making products in America?

No. Instead of buying Mexican product, you buy one made in El Salvador and import the product into the US. What Mexico will do is sell the product to El Salvador who will turn around and sell it to us at a premium….

Won't American companies just move the companies to El salvador and cut out the middle man?
Who cares what Mexican companies do?
You should, Einstein. They are part of North American trade, you idiot

It will cost millions, not billions, and it will cost more to lose market share in the US.
You mean they will be the winner...
How will they be a winner paying 20% extra for merchandise
It has been explained many times in this thread that why there will not be 20% increase to consumers. Are you unable to understand what has been said?
No, try again
Apparently you haven't been able to understand why cost to consumers will not go up.

So, the Mexicans are not paying for the wall because the revenue collected on imports which belongs to the American people will be used for that purpose. The American consumers, then, will be paying for the Trump Wall.
Which will result in higher cost goods from Mexico. That fee will be passed on to the consumer for the most part. Fine by me. Build the damn wall.
Creating a trade war with your nearest neighbor which has been a friendly democracy until now is not my idea of ensuring security.

Closing factories will cost billions, it will never happen. The only losers will be the American consumer
American consumers will lose nothing because the federal government will lower taxes and remove unnecessary regulations to lower the cost of production and the states will offer other benefits as they compete for the new factories. Japanese cars manufactured in the US are price competitive with US cars manufactured in Mexico now, and the cost of production here will be even lower once the tax and regulator reforms are in place.
So we are going to lower taxes, just how much larger will our national debt be??
Whether the national debt increases or decreases because of the tax cuts will depend on how much the economy grows because of this stimulus.
What stimulus?
You mean they will be the winner...
How will they be a winner paying 20% extra for merchandise
It has been explained many times in this thread that why there will not be 20% increase to consumers. Are you unable to understand what has been said?
No, try again
Apparently you haven't been able to understand why cost to consumers will not go up.
Please explain why they won't go up

Gramps, I don't have a problem with it. Mexico and the president will face trouble from their manufacturers. Like you said, "Bring it on!"

President Trump: I like your 20% tax on Mexican imports to pay for the wall.

I like Corona & Tequila, just like Dont Taz Me Bro accused me.

I'm paying for the wall.

Creating a trade war with your nearest neighbor which has been a friendly democracy until now is not my idea of ensuring security.
The president of Mexico is the one who did not want to negotiate. The wall is ensuring security, fool!

Trade war is coming.

The American companies will likely absorb the hit, work with their PACs to get a loophole or two put in. Mexican exporters/American importers will simply selll to/move buying to a non-targeted nation.

They’re not going to start paying $12 an hour + benefits to Americans when they pay $3 an hour and no benefits to the current work staff.

yes imagine getting products from central America instead of mexico

places in Africa would like our business as well

They make a lot of flat screen TV's in Africa do they?

See for yourself. Even Ivanka is manufacturing in Africa now.

When It Comes to Low-cost Labor, Is Ethiopia the New China ...
knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/.../when-it-comes-to-low-cost-labor-is-ethiopia-the-ne...
Apr 22, 2016 - Ethiopia continues to post healthy economic growth, attracting global investments particularly for large-scale, lightmanufacturing, says ...
With Chinese help, Ethiopia seeks to be Africa's top car manufacturer
europe.autonews.com/.../with-chinese-help-ethiopia-seeks-to-be-africas-top-car-manu...
Jun 4, 2016 - An executive at one Ethiopian manufacturer said Chinesecar kits were cheaper than those ... Ethiopia desperately needs a new fleet of cars.
Industrialization in Africa: Ethiopia Wants to Become the New 'Made in ...
https://www.chinafile.com/china.../industrialization-africa-ethiopia-wants-become-new...
Jun 7, 2016 - As China transitions its economy from manufacturing to services, and a lot of industrial production looks for a new home, 85 million jobs will be ...
Ivanka Trump Chinese shoe factory is now moving to Africa | Daily ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article.../Trump-factory-jobs-sent-China-never-come-back.ht...
Oct 6, 2016 - Workers on a production line at the Huajian factory in Dongguan, .... A Chinese worker directs Ethiopian workers at Huajian's giant new factory ...
Why 'Made in Ethiopia' Could Be The 'Next Made in China' - Corporate ...
blogs.wsj.com/corporate.../why-made-in-ethiopia-could-be-the-next-made-in-china/
May 15, 2014 - China's Huajian Group plans to invest up to $2 billion inEthiopia in the next decade, turning the country into a shoemanufacturing base for ...
Ethiopia: Africa's New China?Money Matters Africa
moneymattersafrica.com/business-and-finance/ethiopia-africas-new-china/
May 8, 2015 - With a similar demographic profile and policy framework toChina, Ethiopia's manufacturing sector has been able to clock strong growth in the ...

Shoes and Flat screen TV's are two very different animals.
St. Louis used to be the shoe capital of America....it's a wasteland now....

That makes sense. Although I'd pay more for a product made in America. Not a ton more though.

it is hard to find American made these days

Forum List

Back