Breaking: OMG they destroyed and looted the Tut exibit!

apparently there are 9 of 27 mummies on display that they could have gotten too. hopefully Queen Hatshepsut was not one of them they just IDed her for god sakes after having misidentified her for decades.......

this is so heartbreaking. we saw the tut exhibit at the Franklin Institute a couple of years ago and again in the city. they kept the rest of the exhibit in cairo because they didn't want it damaged.

i so don't understand how this makes a statement against the government.

It doesn't. And it sounds like at least some of the crowd knows it, which is why they tried to protect it. Egypt's history is a source of both pride and tourism income for their people.

There's a thriving black market for art and antiquities. Criminal elements always thrive in chaos, and take full advantage. :evil:

I saw the original exhibit that came here back in the 70's and the new one here in Phili. and SF. It was beautiful. So rich in culture. One of the first things i thought was it was a good thing that a part of the Tut collection was safe.

It is sad, but yes there is a huge antiquities black market. This is nothing but mobs partaking in modern day grave robbing. I am very sad.

apparently there are 9 of 27 mummies on display that they could have gotten too. hopefully Queen Hatshepsut was not one of them they just IDed her for god sakes after having misidentified her for decades.......

this is so heartbreaking. we saw the tut exhibit at the Franklin Institute a couple of years ago and again in the city. they kept the rest of the exhibit in cairo because they didn't want it damaged.

Hopefully it's not.

Best case, it's stupid kids (anarchy/mob mentality) or greedy treasure seekers who got stopped and to quote President Obama, get their asses kicked.

If it is anti-government then there is the possibility that it's Islamic radicals destroying elements of pre-Muslim culture. (in the vein of destroying churches and blowing up Buddha statues etc) I think we all hope and can agree that that is not the direction that we want Egypt to be heading. (that's a worst case scenario)

Truthfully i would feel better about the robberies if it was just ass holes trying to make a buck in the black market. Its a poor country and at the frthest stretch, i could understand the reasoning on their part.

If this was radicals trying to wipe out non muslim culture i hope there is something to the curses of the old Pharaohs and they drop dead after suffering horribly!

You remember all of the priceless artifacts stolen or destroyed in Iraq. A lot of it ended up in Syria and all over the world.

How could they do this? Terrible.

It doesn't. And it sounds like at least some of the crowd knows it, which is why they tried to protect it. Egypt's history is a source of both pride and tourism income for their people.

There's a thriving black market for art and antiquities. Criminal elements always thrive in chaos, and take full advantage. :evil:

I saw the original exhibit that came here back in the 70's and the new one here in Phili. and SF. It was beautiful. So rich in culture. One of the first things i thought was it was a good thing that a part of the Tut collection was safe.

It is sad, but yes there is a huge antiquities black market. This is nothing but mobs partaking in modern day grave robbing. I am very sad.

The same thing happened in Iraq, whose antiquities perhaps weren't as famous but just as ancient and irreplaceable. The same thing happened in the former Soviet Union when it disintegrated, with artwork and antiquities stolen and sold on the black market. It's happened in many places and at many times of chaos. And it's so sad, not only are those objects often damaged or destroyed but it robs an entire people of their history and heritage.

But as long as there are people willing to buy it, this kind of senselessness will keep happening. :evil:

I saw Steve Martin do his King Tut skit in 1979 (I think). Might have been the first "rap" song I heard. (??)

Hopefully it's not.

Best case, it's stupid kids (anarchy/mob mentality) or greedy treasure seekers who got stopped and to quote President Obama, get their asses kicked.

If it is anti-government then there is the possibility that it's Islamic radicals destroying elements of pre-Muslim culture. (in the vein of destroying churches and blowing up Buddha statues etc) I think we all hope and can agree that that is not the direction that we want Egypt to be heading. (that's a worst case scenario)

Truthfully i would feel better about the robberies if it was just ass holes trying to make a buck in the black market. Its a poor country and at the frthest stretch, i could understand the reasoning on their part.

If this was radicals trying to wipe out non muslim culture i hope there is something to the curses of the old Pharaohs and they drop dead after suffering horribly!

Heh. (it went pretty bad for the bad guys in that Brenden Frazier movie)

I believe looters is the highest probability.

The same thing happened in Iraq, whose antiquities perhaps weren't as famous but just as ancient and irreplaceable. The same thing happened in the former Soviet Union when it disintegrated, with artwork and antiquities stolen and sold on the black market. It's happened in many places and at many times of chaos. And it's so sad, not only are those objects often damaged or destroyed but it robs an entire people of their history and heritage.

But as long as there are people willing to buy it, this kind of senselessness will keep happening. :evil:

Yes, i know this kind of thing has happened before. It is not just Egyptian art and antiquities that have value on the black market. When protesters turn into a mob. When that mob turns destructive, and becomes a gang of criminals, they loose all sympathy from me.

I agree. The saddest part of loosing one piece of art or antiquity, is that it robs the future of its past.

It made my heart feel good that civilians were willing to stand and protect their museum.

King Tut exhibit was in Chicago in the fall of 1983. Hopefully much of their treasures are lent out at the moment and thus safe from a few crimninals.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TCunfSdrNE&feature=related[/ame]

King Tut exhibit was in Chicago in the fall of 1983. Hopefully much of their treasures are lent out at the moment and thus safe from a few crimninals.

The '83 exhibit was part of the BIG one. It had the death mask and about twice as many pieces on view then one that is in currently on exhibit. The sad part of all of this is that Egypt decided to do a smaller traveling exhibit because they wanted to keep collection safer. Who knew that having it out of the country was the way to keep the collection safe.

King Tutankhamun 1323 BC​

king-tut_Mask.jpg

sar.jpg

Its more likely criminals taking advantage of the chaos

I am sure that it is. The pics were terrible. This is such an important part of Egyptian history i cant believe they would desecrate it so.

They said that many civilians tried to protect the treasures along with the military but to no avail.

Now that is shameful destruction.

I have been to that museum. Wow, irreplacable objects. I have never seen anything so beautiful as The Funeral Mask of King Tut.

I'm hoping that King Tut exhibit was unharmed, I'm not finding anything saying that it was. Early this morning, al Jazeera was reporting the looting and vandalism and the military's and many citizens efforts to keep it from spreading.

Film I saw, didn't lead to conclusion of King Tut, rather valuable antiquities of metal works and statues. So I'm crossing my fingers. Two mummies though are reported destroyed, more would be possible.

This whole discussion is making me want to unpack Will and Ariel Durant's, Age of Civilization series.

I'm hoping that King Tut exhibit was unharmed, I'm not finding anything saying that it was. Early this morning, al Jazeera was reporting the looting and vandalism and the military's and many citizens efforts to keep it from spreading.

Film I saw, didn't lead to conclusion of King Tut, rather valuable antiquities of metal works and statues. So I'm crossing my fingers. Two mummies though are reported destroyed, more would be possible.

This whole discussion is making me want to unpack Will and Ariel Durant's, Age of Civilization series.

You mean you don't have one opened and on your night stand ?

Forum List

Back