🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Brittany Maynard ended her own life before her tumor could rob her of it

No philosopher, Newby, is! :lol:

Ah Jake, you just can't help yourself can you?

So your wife died of cancer? My sincere condolences, I assume that was recent too since you've spoken so fondly of her in the coffee shop on many occasions?

Share with us your philosophy on being a Christian. Should a Christian be compelled to turn others away from what has been identified as a sin by God? Is it a Christian's duty to do so according to what Christ and the scriptures taught? If not, what is your reasoning behind your philosophy of 'minding your own business', or not 'pushing your beliefs' on others and how that fits in with your 'Christianity'?

Pardon me, folks. I thought this thread was about assisted suicide laws. I quit going to Sunday school at age 13, so I am obviously on the wrong thread.

Newby, my wife died years ago.

I am a Christian, and I certainly question your sincerity as one. So mind your business.

For what it's worth, I don't think someone should be kept from doing what this girl wanted to do based on religious beliefs. As a Christian, it wouldn't be something that I would choose to do, and if asked, I would have counseled her in that regard if she were a Christian. But I find it interesting that those that profess no belief in a higher being find a moral distinction between the different reasons for taking your own life. Where does that moral distinction originate from, and why is it more valid than a moral distinction based on a religious belief? No one has really answered that question.

But that remains separate from the slippery slope that has been pointed out here numerous times in allowing the government so much control in our lives. Once you open the door a crack, the game is over, the government always wins. Concerns that this type of thing will be taken advantage of should not be ridiculed or taken lightly.

Newby, my wife died years ago.

I am a Christian, and I certainly question your sincerity as one.

Yet I've seen you speak of her in other threads in the present tense, i.e. going to dinner, etc..?

And I'm sure you do question my sincerity, since I don't suffer fools. But once again, you fail to answer the question put to you.

Did Christ 'push' His beliefs on others? Did He mind His own business? What type of a Christian church would teach the warped beliefs that you seem to hold as a 'Christian'?

Last edited:
She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble
reading the article, you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

She never expressed second thoughts about ending her own life before the final stages. She expressed second thoughts about when she would do it.

What is a shame is when society insists people go thru horrible pain, loss of dignity, and terrible symptoms, just so we can feel that we are preventing a death. We aren't. We are making their life worse.
Mincing words doesn't help you.

She expressed she was not ready. Period.

Obviously she was. She took the meds that ended it.

There is no evidence whatsoever that she was pressured. She simply waited until she was ready.

A few days ago she was not. You wanting her death, and the advocacy group her husband worked with was a great deal of pressure.

We will never know if she did this willingly at this time or under pressure because she expressed a desire to live longer.
had you read the article you would know she did do this willingly.

I linked other information

Fact is she had doubts just days before. Everyone here so knee jerk to dismiss my concern due to your glee at her death is morbid. I never once gave an opinion as to the option. Closed minds simple can't or won't grasp what I posted....oddly enough you were all liberals too.

Fact is she had doubts just days before. Everyone here so knee jerk to dismiss my concern due to your glee at her death is morbid. I never once gave an opinion as to the option. Closed minds simple can't or won't grasp what I posted....oddly enough you were all liberals too.

Brittany Maynard said in early October she expected to kill herself Nov. 1, less than three weeks before her 30th birthday. She emphasized that she wasn't suicidal, but wanted to die on her own terms and reserved the right to move the date forward or push it back.

While she hasn't completely ruled Saturday out, Maynard says in a new video she feels she has some more of her life to live.

"I still feel good enough, and I still have enough joy — and I still laugh and smile with my friends and my family enough — that it doesn't seem like the right time right now," she says in the video.

"But it will come because I feel myself getting sicker. It's happening each week."

Doesn't sound like doubts about anything other than the timing to me.

oh you are one of these morons who need to assume how others feel in order to be relevant in a topic.
Everyone has doubts, thats called being human. That doesnt mean she was pressured into ending her life.
Regardless it is not for you to say what she can and can not do with her life. She knew what she wanted and what her cancer was about. nobody should be able to take that away from her or anyone

Brittany Maynard said in early October she expected to kill herself Nov. 1, less than three weeks before her 30th birthday. She emphasized that she wasn't suicidal, but wanted to die on her own terms and reserved the right to move the date forward or push it back.

While she hasn't completely ruled Saturday out, Maynard says in a new video she feels she has some more of her life to live.

"I still feel good enough, and I still have enough joy — and I still laugh and smile with my friends and my family enough — that it doesn't seem like the right time right now," she says in the video.

"But it will come because I feel myself getting sicker. It's happening each week."

Timing is everything and that's exactly the doubts she expressed just days prior.

oh you are one of these morons who need to assume how others feel in order to be relevant in a topic.
Everyone has doubts, thats called being human. That doesnt mean she was pressured into ending her life.
Regardless it is not for you to say what she can and can not do with her life. She knew what she wanted and what her cancer was about. nobody should be able to take that away from her or anyone
No, idiot. She stated so herself. I never suggested taking away the option, I never criticized the option.

Timing is everything and that's exactly the doubts she expressed just days prior.
and then sahe said she was still going to because she was feeling herself getting sicker

Okay on that we can agree- she had doubts about the exact day that she would commit suicide.

She had doubts in the days before her suicide. She still received joy from life. Then she had a very serious seizure. Out of the blue. She knew that these seizures would get worse and come more frequently. If anything pressured into changing her mind it was that last seizure.

and then sahe said she was still going to because she was feeling herself getting sicker
Thanks captain obvious.

That's where I wonder if she was pressured in the end. A lot of hype and organization went into the death with dignity campaign fixed on a date, not on a person.

The founding fathers were careful to make sure that no religion ruled this nation.

That is why religious based laws are unconstitutional.

No, I am not a christian. Even when I was, I fought to make sure people had a choice of whether or not they wanted to live by christianity's rules. I was still a christian when I worked to oppose Roy Moore's placement of the 10 Commandment monument in the Alabama Supreme Court lobby.

A "former Christian" are ya? Couldn't hack it so you quit....sounds familiar. Of course you're also wrong about the Founders' intentions but that's also par for the course. Any set of laws is based on simple morality....not situation ethics like your crowd favors. Something wrong is always wrong even if the outcome is popular at the moment. All religions believe in basically the same principles of behavior despite efforts by their zealots to bastardize the rules. And you may think you're "enlightened" but remember this....you've given up on God but He likely hasn't given up on you....I'd suggest you think about your decisions while you still have time.

Couldn't hack it? lmao Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Yes, certain things are wrong. But there are also times when the situation does make a difference.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

So your moral belief, based on who knows what, is that a person committing suicide because they broke up with a girl or boyfriend is wrong, but one doing so because of terminal illness is okay? What is that moral belief based on, and why should that be the one that is generally accepted by society? Why should moral values based on religion be any different than moral values based on where ever yours come from? What is your logical reasoning that your moral values are valid while those based in other origins are not? Why does where a moral value comes from decide on whether it's valid or not?

Because someone committing suicide over a romantic breakup is ending their life because of a temporary situation. The person ending their life to avoid the horrible last stages of cancer is not.

The logical reasoning behind my comments concerning religious moral codes is that they not be the sole basis for laws. What anyone believes is up to them and I, as I have stated, have no problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with laws based solely on religious beliefs.

But you didn't answer why? Why do you have a problem with morals based solely on religious beliefs? What is the reasoning behind that? Why is there a distinction on where a moral value originates? Why is one source okay, but another not?

And do your morals originate from only one place, one source? If not, then why do you assume that someone else's would?

Why do you think I have a problem with morals based solely on religious beliefs? Ihave stated over and over that I am fine with whatever religious beliefs anyone wants to hold. I may disagree with what they say on some occasions, but I am fine with them having whatever moral codes they choose and from whatever source they choose.

Pardon me, folks. I thought this thread was about assisted suicide laws. I quit going to Sunday school at age 13, so I am obviously on the wrong thread.

No, you are in the right thread. Your comment on the gov't sending you off to kill and possibly die was spot on.

I am torn in this one.

I totally beleive in a dignified death.....

and on the other hand

I am against suicide... I beleive that to take ones life before your time is due, is against the Law of Love and Life, and there will be no Peace for those who commit suicide.

It's a horrible feeling to be divided between these two choices.

I can not and will not judge Brittany...it's such a complex thing.

Thanks captain obvious.

That's where I wonder if she was pressured in the end. A lot of hype and organization went into the death with dignity campaign fixed on a date, not on a person.
According to this she made her own decisions without pressure, "I plan to celebrate my husband's birthday on October 26 with him and our family. Unless my condition improves dramatically, I will look to pass soon thereafter."

Brittany Maynard My right to death with dignity at 29 - CNN.com

Forum List

Back