Zone1 Broad-brush reparations to all blacks is unconstituional

FYI to the numbnuts, Jim Crow laws were NOT nationwide.

Throughout much of U.S. history, racial discrimination and racist laws were pervasive across the country, and it is challenging to identify any state that was entirely free from such practices. While some states were more explicit and notorious in implementing discriminatory laws, practices, and systems (particularly in the Southern states with Jim Crow laws), racial discrimination was present in various forms throughout the nation.
Even in states that did not have laws explicitly promoting racial segregation, discriminatory practices and attitudes were often ingrained in societal norms, institutions, and informal policies. Practices such as redlining, discriminatory lending, and unequal educational opportunities were widespread across the United States, affecting Black communities in various regions.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
No it isn’t. It is a very specific group of people that lived under those laws, so quit saying “all Black people”.
Read what I wrote again. And read what you have written. You have argued that a wealthy black business owner who would have been subjected to Jim Crow laws if he traveled to a southern state should receive reparations because that situation existed. I can find absolutely no logic or reasonable argument to support that.

But at least you are more reasonable than those who insist ALL Japanese were interred in WWII or ALL black people were subjected to Jim Crow laws. That just simply did not happen.

Wtf are you talking about? What reparations did whats get. I am still waiting on my check. Also, still waiting on my thank you from the black community.
And what do we thank you for? Freeing us to face Jim Crow?

Blacks fought in that war..

Blacks fought in the white mans Revolutionary War that freed those like you from Britain but did not free us. Start by thanking us for that.

Yes, because they were interred!! Imprisoned!!
So where black people in Debt Peonage.

That is a far cry from blacks living in northern states, who went to movies with whites, and public school with whites, and sat at the same drugstore counters as whites, who got FREE college educations from generous taxpayers, and MIGHT have been subject to Jim Crowe laws for a week if the went down South.

Again, how many black people got these free college educations you are on about?

And what if they didn‘t? What if their parents and grandparents were all from New York, and they had no reason to go down there? You want blacks who received government-funded college educations, and went on to live successful lives as a result, to get money from whites* for something that hypothetically COULD have happened 70 years ago, but not necessarily?

If Mr. Sulu can get money for a couple of years as a child in a relocation camp, then black people should get reparations, even if they were lucky enough to be one of the few who got a scholarship (after very hard work, I'd imagine.)

Starting in the forties, ALL "Northern Blacks" received a free government education just like ALL Whites did. I'm not sure when universal public education started.
No, they didn't. Schools were legally segregated in the North until 1955 and DE FACTO segregated to this very day. Separate but Equal was not.

And what do we thank you for? Freeing us to face Jim Crow?

Blacks fought in that war..

Blacks fought in the white mans Revolutionary War that freed those like you from Britain but did not free us. Start by thanking us for that.

You got a problem, buddy, take it out on who oppressed you 200 years ago.

Read what I wrote again. And read what you have written. You have argued that a wealthy black business owner who would have been subjected to Jim Crow laws if he traveled to a southern state should receive reparations because that situation existed. I can find absolutely no logic or reasonable argument to support that.

But at least you are more reasonable than those who insist ALL Japanese were interred in WWII or ALL black people were subjected to Jim Crow laws. That just simply did not happen.
All black people were subject to Jim Crow. See, this iis where this debate can become uncivil. I was born during Jim Crow, not in the south, in Kansas, a state that fought Missouri too be a free state and we had Jim Crow and Sundown towns. So can you stop lying to yourself about this?

1) Japanese-Americans thrown in prison
2) Jews who suffered through the anguish of the Holocaust.
3) Southern black relegated to inferior schools and had his future severely limited
4) Northern black given free college education and who avoided traveling South 70 years ago, and who had a successful life thanks to the taxpayers who paid for his Bachelor of Science degree.

The only thing #3 and #4 have in common is skin color. You can’t award the same reparations to individuals regardless of damages and decided solely by skin color.
You’ve iterated this multiple times, emphasizing tax payer funded college. Did it occur to you he may have had successful life due to his own hard work?

• Thanks
Government policies today are harming whites

Affirmative Action is one example
White women have benefitted more from affirmative action than any other group. So your first and only example is false.

So please explain how the government policies of today are harming whites.

These Democrats are arguing that ALL blacks alive in the Jim Crowe era, even if they weren’t subject to its restrictions, deserve reparations simply by virtue of them being born and being black.

I bet you if you asked an 80-year-old black man from New York, who went to school with whites, played with them, went to movies with them, etc., and then enjoyed a free college education courtesy of taxpayers, and as a result lived a comfortable life of a professional whether he wanted “reparations” from this country, he’d turn it down.
Why don’t you actually talk to one and ask him?

• Winner
You got a problem, buddy, take it out on who oppressed you 200 years ago.
It's you who has the problem. Whites get no reparations for correcting a mistake they made. Your argument is stupid because reparations are for human rights violations and whites werre the violattors on both sides in the civil war. Don't repeat the same garbage racists do then talk about something 200 years ago while you appear to have the same attitude

It's you who has the problem. Whites get no reparations for correcting a mistake they made. Your argument is stupid because reparations are for human rights violations and whites werre the violattors on both sides in the civil war. Don't repeat the same garbage racists do then talk about something 200 years ago while you appear to have the same attitude

Sorry, this is racist crap.
It was only Southern whites not me.
Further, it was mostly blacks that sold blacks into slavery. See? This was never about just color.

Racists see this so ignorantly.

BTW, my ancestors were feed the year before blacks. Who should I get reparations from?

You’ve iterated this multiple times, emphasizing tax payer funded college. Did it occur to you he may have had successful life due to his own hard work?
….AND THAT HE BECAME A COLLEGE-EDUCATED PROFESSIONAL, PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT.

And of course he was a hard worker. Did it occur to you that he got the free college education, same as whites, due to hard work?

We are one nation. A multitude of states but one nation. Freedom of travel throughout the country is a right. To say not all Black people were subject to Jim Crowe would be to restrict their freedom and rights to only a portion of the US. White people could travel anywhere, with no restrictive laws based on skin color. So yes, all Black people in that era were subject to Jim Crowe.

• Thanks
….AND THAT HE BECAME A COLLEGE-EDUCATED PROFESSIONAL, PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT.

And of course he was a hard worker. Did it occur to you that he got the free college education, same as whites, due to hard work?
That is what I just said.

• Thanks
There’s no such thing as prohibited thoughts and attitudes. You now are claiming that blacks should all get reparations because of thoughts and attitudes?!
Laws don't change hearts & minds and they certainly do not in and of themselves, cause people to change their beliefs (yes thoughts and attitudes).

If those thoughts & attitudes lead to racist acts of harm and the perpetrator has demonstrated their thoughts & attitudes, such as on a message board like this, then yeah those thoughts & attitudes can be taken into consideration as "motive" for the crime(s) committed if they did so due to the victim's actual or perceived race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, etc.

That's what a hate crime enhancement is. So while technically our laws don't make what you think and believe, or any hatred for Black people you may harbor in your heart illegal, if there is documentation of any of that and you take action on those thoughts & feelings then yes, you can be charged and convicted for those thoughts, feelings and attitudes that led you to act on them against a Black crime victim.

• Fact

Forum List

Back