Broad U.S. terror alert mystifies experts; ‘It’s crazy pants,’ one says

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Broad U.S. terror alert mystifies experts; ‘It’s crazy pants,’ one says

WASHINGTON — U.S. officials insisted Tuesday that extraordinary security measures for nearly two dozen diplomatic post were to thwart an “immediate, specific threat,” a claim questioned by counterterrorism experts, who note that the alert covers an incongruous set of nations from the Middle East to an island off the southern coast of Africa.

Analysts don’t dispute the Obama administration’s narrative that it’s gleaned intelligence on a plot involving al Qaida’s most active affiliate, the Yemen-based Arabian Peninsula branch. That would explain why most U.S. posts in the Persian Gulf are on lockdown, including the U.S. embassy in Yemen, which on Tuesday airlifted most of its personnel to Germany in an “ordered departure,” the government’s euphemism for an evacuation.

But how, then, does it make sense for the State Department to close embassies as far afield as Mauritius or Madagascar, where there’s been no visible jihadist activity? And why is it that countries that weathered numerous terrorist attacks – Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq, for example – were excluded or allowed to reopen quickly?

At Tuesday’s State Department briefing, spokeswoman Jen Psaki said there were plans to keep 19 posts closed to the public through Saturday. But she had no answers when a reporter asked: “How did the countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian Ocean get into this?”

“We make decisions post by post,” Psaki said. “That’s something that is constantly evaluated at a high level through the interagency process.”

If ordinary Americans are confused, they’re in good company. Analysts who’ve devoted their careers to studying al Qaida and U.S. counterterrorism strategy can’t really make sense of it, either. There’s general agreement that the diffuse list of potential targets has to do with either specific connections authorities are tracking, or places that might lack the defenses to ward off an attack. Beyond that, however, even the experts are stumped.

Take this sampling of reactions from prominent al Qaida observers:

“It’s crazy pants – you can quote me,” said Will McCants, a former State Department adviser on government extremism who this month joins the Brookings Saban Center as the director of its project on U.S. relations with the Islamic world.

*snip*

Click and read the rest.

Last edited:
I figure it is an overreaction in the wake of Benghazi.

I'm not sure I agree with tipping our hand so blatantly...seems pretty amateur hour.

More like this is another campaign production.

Using hard fought intelligence gathering as cover to convince Americans..."See, I care about our embassies and Ambassadors!"

JMO, that's how it looks to me.

It's a ploy to divert attention from the communist shit stain president by focusing your attention on a falsified threat that can't not be corroborated under the guise of "national security". We've been down this road over, and over. It's also helps legitimize the NSA and their enablers who should all be put a against a wall and shot for their crimes.

I figure it is an overreaction in the wake of Benghazi.

I'm not sure I agree with tipping our hand so blatantly...seems pretty amateur hour.

More like this is another campaign production.

Using hard fought intelligence gathering as cover to convince Americans..."See, I care about our embassies and Ambassadors!"

JMO, that's how it looks to me.
QOTD: Michael Hayden
by digby

If anyone wants to know why so many of us find the fatuous hand-wringing over Edward Snowden's revelations a bit much, look no further than this from Emptywheel about the various leaks and sources on this embassy threat story:

Remember, Saudis and Yemeni sources have a well-established history of leaking sensitive intelligence about our thwarted plots. But in this case, the original source (to the NYT) seems to be American, with a Yemeni first providing the really remarkable level of detail.​
And thus far, no one from the government has called for the NYT, McClatchy, and WaPo sources to be jailed. How … telling.
[...]
...And here’s Michael Hayden, who for weeks has been arguing that Edward Snowden should be made an example of, suggesting this alert is good because it lets the bad guys know we’re onto them:​
“The announcement itself may also be designed to interrupt Al Qaeda planning, to put them off stride,” Michael V. Hayden, a former C.I.A. director, said on “Fox News Sunday.” “To put them on the back foot, to let them know that we’re alert and that we’re on at least to a portion of this plotline.”
And here I thought that letting them know that we can figure out their plots was tantamount to treason. It's so hard to keep up.

There's much more at Emptywheel about the various anomalies and strange contradictions in this whole event. I'm not sure it adds up to anything more than a reasonable desire to avoid anything that could look like another Benghazi. That's just run of the mill politics. But it's also not unreasonable to suspect the government might be inclined to raise the threat level for a variety of other reasons as well. It's not as if it hasn't done so before.

digby 8/06/2013 10:30:00 AM

Forum List

Back