Bullying does not lead to suicide

In the good old days, the one being bullied would learn how to fight and kick the bully's ass. Or, maybe an older brother would do it.

Or the bully would be bigger and stronger and and continue to bully without end.

That's when you get a bigger brother, cousin, or the son of your mother's best friend. It is seldom, if ever, that a college football player is in elementary school.

That's when you get a bigger brother, cousin, or the son of your mother's best friend. It is seldom, if ever, that a college football player is in elementary school.

I was thinking more of High School.

I was 6' and 175 in high school - fairly good size. But there were a few who were 6'5" and tipping 250. There was no big brother or cousin who could take these guys.

I was 6' and 175 in high school - fairly good size. But there were a few who were 6'5" and tipping 250. There was no big brother or cousin who could take these guys.

There is always, repeat always, someone stronger.

I have said this before, and will say it again, the problem is not that teens are bullies, the problem is that some of them need help they are not getting.

Help from being bullied.

Latino boy 16, David Ritcheson, tortured and sodomized by Gang of Whites - commits suicide - Houston, Texas

Even political figures bully:

Mitt Romney's prep school classmates recall troubling incidents - CBS News

The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another. Four of them -- Friedemann, now a dentist; Phillip Maxwell, a lawyer; Thomas Buford, a retired prosecutor; and David Seed, a retired principal -- spoke on the record. Another former student who witnessed the incident asked not to be named.

Help from being bullied.

Latino boy 16, David Ritcheson, tortured and sodomized by Gang of Whites - commits suicide - Houston, Texas

Even political figures bully:

Mitt Romney's prep school classmates recall troubling incidents - CBS News

The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another. Four of them -- Friedemann, now a dentist; Phillip Maxwell, a lawyer; Thomas Buford, a retired prosecutor; and David Seed, a retired principal -- spoke on the record. Another former student who witnessed the incident asked not to be named.

Ah dicksucker; you always have to bring your racism and hatred into everything.

Now trot along scumbag, I'm sure you have a cross to burn on someones lawn...

Oh I handled a couple of them. And it didn't take a big brother to do it.

In the old days, if you got bullied, no one would help you. Not the schools or the counselors ... you eventually stood up and kicked the bully's ass - and good!

You can't do that now or you go to jail.

Well, sort of ... a few years ago, guys at the shipyard started to act like complete aholes to me - trying to boss me around and such. One day, I blew a head gaskit ... went completely balistic and started telling people that they were going to get thrown into the bay! I guess I am pretty scary when I'm mad ... I've heard that ... a lot. No one ever said a word to me after that unless they did it in a very thoughtful and polite tone.

If you look at the suicide rates of foster children, the foster children in my state that haven't been placed with families is very high. Do I think that mental illness only happens in foster children? No. I think that something horrible happened to them so they can't deal with it and it follows some of them into adulthood and they kill themselves. I know one foster child who had a good job catching poachers, fining them and arresting them and he made a lot of money at it but he comitted suicide.

I think that you should look at the statistics from the 70's and 80's or whatever time periods that children were put into institutionalized foster care and examine why.

I think the same reasons exist in bullying. They can't handle it.

But it does lead to depression which can lead to suicide...

Sibling bullying increases depression risk
8 September 2014 ~ Being bullied regularly by a sibling could put children at risk of depression when they are older, a study led by the University of Oxford suggests.
Around 7,000 children aged 12 were asked if they had experienced a sibling saying hurtful things, hitting, ignoring or lying about them. The children were followed up at 18 and asked about their mental health. A charity said parents should deal with sibling rivalry before it escalates. Previous research has suggested that victims of peer bullying can be more susceptible to depression, anxiety and self-harm. This study claims to be the first to examine bullying by brothers or sisters during childhood for the same psychiatric problems in early adulthood.

_77405224_unhappy_boy-spl.jpg

Most children who were bullied by a sibling said it started at about the age of eight

Researchers from the Universities of Oxford, Warwick and Bristol and University College London sent questionnaires to thousands of families with 12-year-old children in 2003-04 and went back to them six years later to assess their mental health. If they had siblings they were asked about bullying by brothers and sisters. The questionnaire said: "This means when a brother or sister tries to upset you by saying nasty and hurtful things, or completely ignores you from their group of friends, hits, kicks, pushes or shoves you around, tells lies or makes up false rumours about you."

'Twice as likely'

Most children said they had not experienced bullying. Of these, at 18, 6.4% had depression scores in the clinically significant range, 9.3% experienced anxiety and 7.6% had self-harmed in the previous year. The 786 children who said they had been bullied by a sibling several times a week were found to be twice as likely to have depression, self-harm and anxiety as the other children. In this group, depression was reported by 12.3%, self-harm by 14%, and 16% of them reported anxiety. Girls were slightly more likely to be victims of sibling bullying than boys, particularly in families where there were three or more children. Older brothers were often found to be responsible. On average, victims said that sibling bullying had started at the age of eight, the study said.

More than teasing

Lead author Dr Lucy Bowes, from the department of social policy and intervention at the University of Oxford, said although they couldn't say sibling bullying caused depression, the result were significant. "We need to change the conversation we have about this. If it occurred in a school setting there would be repercussions. "It may be causing long-term harm. We need to do more research, but we also need parents to listen to their children. She added: "We are not talking about the sort of teasing that often goes on within families, but incidents that occur several times a week, in which victims are ignored by their brothers or sisters, or are subjected to verbal or physical violence."

Emma Jane Cross, from the bullying prevention charity, BeatBullying, said: "Being bullied as a child can have a devastating effect which lasts a lifetime. Parents who are concerned about this issue should speak to their children as early as possible before the problem escalates. "It's important to tackle the underlying issues behind more frequent bullying behaviour rather than dismissing it as normal sibling rivalry."

BBC News - Sibling bullying increases depression risk

I have said this before, and will say it again, the problem is not that teens are bullies, the problem is that some of them need help they are not getting.

All suicides are tragic and complicated. And teen suicides are particularly devastating because as adults we recognize all that lost potential.
Yet, in perpetuating these stories, which are often little more than emotional linkbait, journalists are complicit in a gross oversimplification of a complicated phenomenon. In short, we’re getting the facts wrong.
The common narrative goes like this: Mean kids, usually the most popular and powerful, single out and relentlessly bully a socially weaker classmate in a systemic and calculated way, which then drives the victim into a darkness where he or she sees no alternative other than committing suicide.
And yet experts – those who study suicide, teen behavior and the dynamics of cyber interactions of teens – all say that the facts are rarely that simple. And by repeating this inaccurate story over and over, journalists are harming the public’s ability to understand the dynamics of both bullying and suicide.

Bullying is not on the rise and it does not lead to suicide Poynter.

That is so not true. How many times do we hear that the kid that committed suicide was bullied? Countless.

The pussification of America made bullying worse, not better. Back in the day you stood up to the bully and punched his lights out. And yes, big brothers got involved and sometimes dads. Saw one dad punch the fucker's dad in the face when he opened the door.

The pussification of America made bullying worse, not better. Back in the day you stood up to the bully and punched his lights out. And yes, big brothers got involved and sometimes dads. Saw one dad punch the fucker's dad in the face when he opened the door.

Holy shit.....you believe that fucking Mayberry was a real place.

Back in the day.......my ass.

That is so not true. How many times do we hear that the kid that committed suicide was bullied? Countless.

Have you ever met a kid that wasn't bullied? How does the human race survive all the bullying if bullying causes suicide? Is it remotely possible that suicide is a separate issue from bullying?

Have you ever met a kid that wasn't bullied? How does the human race survive all the bullying if bullying causes suicide? Is it remotely possible that suicide is a separate issue from bullying?

Just because not all bullied children commit suicide, doesn't mean it wasn't the cause for those who did. The OP title is logically unsound.

Forum List

Back