But, we only want gay marriage....once we get that, then we will come after your churches....

hey should buy them themselves...

"The Pill usually costs between $0–$50 a month, depending on the type. Many health and family planning clinics (such as Planned Parenthood) sell birth control pills for less."

"On average, condoms cost about a dollar each, but it may be less or more depending on the brand, store, and package — most of the time larger packs end up being a better value. Boxes of 3 go for about $2 to $6. In packages of 12 or more, condoms usually cost less than $1 each."
https://www.plannedparenthood.org › learn › birth-control › condom › how...

Sounds pretty affordable to me, which means there was a different agenda in forcing religious institutions to provide them.

If you want to make Birth Control Pills over the counter without a prescription, I'd have no problem with that... but the medical community INSISTS that they be a prescription medication.

And I wasn't aware of any health care program that demanded insurance pay for condoms. Probably a good idea, though, given their help in controlling STD's and such.
Lol
As long as they are not taxpayer funded, I don’t do give two shits what people do with such things

Ohhh noooo.... Obama and the left were actively trying to force religious institution's into covering contraception and abortion procedures in their insurance plans excetera, excetera, excetera and so on and so forth.

Okay. So what? Benefits shouldn't be faith-based. You provide a benefit as a condition of employment, not a condition of faith.
Lol
You obviously have no idea what faith is you silly little fucker...

I don't think you can make the pill OTC...Each woman is different as far as how their body reacts to different formulations of the pill...

However, it's not a huge expense, so if religious institutions don't want to pay for any part of BC then they shouldn't have to....

Either it's part of comprehensive health coverage or it isn't.

The problem is, of course, it's not just the cost of the pill, it's the cost of the doctor's visit and testing that's the issue. Why make religious assholes who live in mortal terror someone might be enjoying themselves pay for that, either.
Again, As long as it’s not taxpayer-funded knock yourself out do whatever the fuck you wanna do. LOL

Beto........he will go after the tax exempt status of any church that refuses to do gay weddings....

The democrats hate the Constitution and freedom...the 1st and 2nd Amendments will not exist if the democrat get total power....

Beto Vows to Strip Tax-Exempt Status From Churches That Oppose Gay Marriage

Barack Obama's IRS may have targeted conservative groups for extra scrutiny, but Obama never pledged to strip tax-exempt status from organizations that disagreed with his position on an issue.

Yet on Thursday, former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) said he would strip tax-exempt status from any religious organization that supports traditional marriage, defined as one man and one woman. In fact, his position essentially amounts to a government preference for pro-gay marriage religious bodies that likely violates the Establishment Clause.

CNN's Don Lemon quoted O'Rourke's policy on LGBT issues, which states: "Freedom of religion is a fundamental right but it should not be used to discriminate."

"Do you think religious institutions — like colleges, churches, charities — should they lose their tax-exempt status if they oppose same-sex marriage?" Lemon asked.

"Yes," O'Rourke replied — to loud applause from the audience.

Beto would likely lose in court on due process violations.

Though tax exempt status for churches isn't constitutionally protected. Its merely a long standing IRS policy.

Though tax exempt status for churches isn't constitutionally protected. Its merely a long standing IRS policy.

Though not explicit in the Constitution, it is well understood that the power to tax churches would be the power to interfere with them, to exercise dominion over their doctrines, teachings, and practices, in a manner that would very clearly violate the First Amendment. Churches are tax-exempt, because that is the only way to protect them from government interference.

Beto would likely be solidly struck down in the courts, because his stated policy explicitly seeks to use taxation to interfere with churches in exactly the way that this whole principle is intended to prevent. He wants government to dictate to churches what their policies may or may not be; and there is simply no way to reconcile his desires with the First Amendment.

Though not explicit in the Constitution, it is well understood that the power to tax churches would be the power to interfere with them, to exercise dominion over their doctrines, teachings, and practices, in a manner that would very clearly violate the First Amendment. Churches are tax-exempt, because that is the only way to protect them from government interference.

The courts haven't found this. Its a tradition that isn't constitutionally articulated nor judicially recognized as being constitutionally based.

The problem with Beto's proposal isn't the revocation of tax exempt status for religious organizations. That's something the government has always had the power to do. Its the *selective* revocation of tax exempt status based on doctrinal beliefs.

That's where the due process clause would stomp Beto's proposal into an unrecognizable pile.

Medicare for all is veterinary medicine for humans. The owner of a dog chooses whether to pay for a treatment or not. No one asks a cat if she wants to be put down. In medicare for all, the government is the owner.

I'm pretty sure no one is going to put you down without your permission.

A health care system run by the government doesn't care if you are happy or not. It's the government. You are out of options. If the government thinks some treatment is too expensive you will die.

How is that any different than what an insurance company does? Except an insurance company actually has a profit motive the government doesn't - to pay big dividends to shareholders and executives.

When employees are unhappy with the choice of health care plans the employer finds another insurance company. It's called competition and the government doesn't have it.

The keyword being the EMPLOYER would find another insurance company. You think your employer cares whether or not you live or die? THey just get another one.

What I remember about Employer-provided health care, other than my two-year fight to actually get them to pay for my surgeries, was every year the HR Cow would get us all in a meeting and let us know it was open enrollment time, and how this year, the insurance would cost a little more and cover a little less.

Beto would likely be solidly struck down in the courts, because his stated policy explicitly seeks to use taxation to interfere with churches in exactly the way that this whole principle is intended to prevent. He wants government to dictate to churches what their policies may or may not be; and there is simply no way to reconcile his desires with the First Amendment.

Actually, Mormon Bob, this issue has already been litigated.

No, I don't mean that the government was able to get your cult leaders to stop practicing polygamy with little girls.. although that was also a good...

Nope, Im talking about the 1983 Bob Jones ruling, where Bob Jones University lost it's tax exemption because it banned interracial dating.

Bob Jones University v. United States - Wikipedia

Bob Jones University v. United States, 461 U.S. 574 (1983), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court holding that the religion clauses of the First Amendment did not prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from revoking the tax exempt status of a religious university whose practices are contrary to a compelling government public policy, such as eradicating racial discrimination.

Bob Jones University v. United States was decided May 24, 1983 in an 8-1 decision with majority opinion written by Warren E. Burger, and joined by William J. Brennan, Byron R. White, Thurgood Marshall, Harry A. Blackmun, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O'Connor. The Court, speaking through Burger, read a "common law" public interest requirement into the statute governing tax-exempt charitable status, and cited Congress' refusal to intervene as proof that they approved of the IRS's construction of the statute. The Court applied a strict scrutiny analysis and found that the "Government has a fundamental, overriding interest in eradicating racial discrimination in education . . . which substantially outweighs whatever burden denial of tax benefits places on [the University's] exercise of their religious beliefs." The Court made clear, however, that its holding dealt "only with religious schools—not with churches or other purely religious institutions."[2]

Lewis F. Powell wrote a separate concurring opinion, emphasizing the importance of Congressional approval for administrative policy changes. William H. Rehnquist was the sole dissenter, arguing that the literal terms of the governing statute could not be read to exclude Bob Jones from charitable status.

A university is not a church.

There is a wall of separation between church and state ensuring that the state may not impose on or control the church.

My personal view is that churches should voluntarily give up tax exempt status and cut loose on pulpit hellfire against sinners.

A university is not a church.

There is a wall of separation between church and state ensuring that the state may not impose on or control the church.

There's no such wall. There's tradition and policy. Churches have no inherent exemption from taxes. They are protected by due processes clause issues that arise from granting tax exceptions from some non-profits but not others.

My personal view is that churches should voluntarily give up tax exempt status and cut loose on pulpit hellfire against sinners.

If your theory were true, the churches couldn't voluntarily cede tax except status anymore than you could 'cede' your right to due process or sell yourself into slavery.

Religions can voluntarily cede tax exempt status, however....as their only protection is tradition and the due process clause.

Beto........he will go after the tax exempt status of any church that refuses to do gay weddings....

The democrats hate the Constitution and freedom...the 1st and 2nd Amendments will not exist if the democrat get total power....

Barack Obama's IRS may have targeted conservative groups for extra scrutiny, but Obama never pledged to strip tax-exempt status from organizations that disagreed with his position on an issue.

Yet on Thursday, former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) said he would strip tax-exempt status from any religious organization that supports traditional marriage, defined as one man and one woman. In fact, his position essentially amounts to a government preference for pro-gay marriage religious bodies that likely violates the Establishment Clause.

CNN's Don Lemon quoted O'Rourke's policy on LGBT issues, which states: "Freedom of religion is a fundamental right but it should not be used to discriminate."

"Do you think religious institutions — like colleges, churches, charities — should they lose their tax-exempt status if they oppose same-sex marriage?" Lemon asked.

There's already legal precedence for this.

Churches that preach racism do not get a tax exemption. For instance, Richard Hale's "World Church of the Creator" does not get a tax exemption for their views that God opposes race mixing.

So once you've established that sexual orientation is indeed a protected status under the law, churches that discriminate should lose their tax exemption.

Me. Personally, I think all churches should lose their tax exemption and be subject to taxes, just like the rest of us. Would be nice to see all these pastors driving around in luxury cars and living in mansions with air conditioned dog houses get the kind of scrutiny regular folks get.

This kind of falls into the "God didn't change his mind, so we did" category. In 50 years, all the churches will be denying they had anything to do with the homophobia, and they'll say, "Well, that was the OLD Testament" when asked about homophobia, just like they do now when anyone asks them about slavery and witch-burning.

I would love to know if Beto would go after Imams in mosques too, since they oppose gay marriage as well?

Or does this only apply to white evangelical Christians.

Sounds fair to me. Islamophobic Twat always finding a way to hate on Muslims. She thinks there are Muslims hiding in her closet, waiting to get her... big, swarthy Islamic men with scimitars.... but enough about her fantasies.
I don’t know if it’s even wise to respond to such illogic. But for the benefit of other readers, I will.
Skin color is not a behavior.

Churches that preach racism do not get a tax exemption. For instance, Richard Hale's "World Church of the Creator" does not get a tax exemption for their views that God opposes race mixing.

So once you've established that sexual orientation is indeed a protected status under the law, churches that discriminate should lose their tax exemption.

Me. Personally, I think all churches should lose their tax exemption and be subject to taxes, just like the rest of us. Would be nice to see all these pastors driving around in luxury cars and living in mansions with air conditioned dog houses get the kind of scrutiny regular folks get.

This kind of falls into the "God didn't change his mind, so we did" category. In 50 years, all the churches will be denying they had anything to do with the homophobia, and they'll say, "Well, that was the OLD Testament" when asked about homophobia, just like they do now when anyone asks them about slavery and witch-burning.

I would love to know if Beto would go after Imams in mosques too, since they oppose gay marriage as well?

Sounds fair to me. Islamophobic Twat always finding a way to hate on Muslims. She thinks there are Muslims hiding in her closet, waiting to get her... big, swarthy Islamic men with scimitars.... but enough about her fantasies.

But Islam is anti SSM also chucklehead...the rest of your BS is meaningless...as usual

But Islam is anti SSM also chucklehead...the rest of your BS is meaningless...as usual

Beto didn't specify that he would only revoke tax exempt status for Christian churches, Sassy.

I do not know who it is going to be, but at some point many people are going to die. No culture can stay this divided. Especially one moving to authoritarian government.

Beto didn't specify that he would only revoke tax exempt status for Christian churches, Sassy.

I wasn't responding to you, idiot. I addressed a point in a post. If I wanted your input I'd ask for it. Understand?

I wasn't responding to you, idiot. I addressed a point in a post. If I wanted your input I'd ask for it. Understand?

Just because you didn't actually listen to what Beto said and comically blundered is no reason to get pissy, Sassy.

Well, pissier.

There is no constitutional basis for tax exempt status for churches save the due process clause. Beto's challenge to tax exempt status for churches for denying same sex marriage would fail on that ground.

And you never have a say in when or where I post. Understand?

Why not let people live their lives the way they wish to live it? Also why not marry them. It should be a personal choice and two guys getting it on in their room isn't hurting anyone.

Forum List

Back