CA Governor Brown pushes for 5 million zero-emission cars

I've been employed for most of the past year installing solar power systems on rooftops of stores and warehouses and such. They don't provide enough power to completely meet the needs of the buildings on which they are installed. They are grid-tie systems, wherein the building still gets power from the utility as well as from their own solar power systems, with the net result being that they buy a lot less power from the utilities. In theory, if they generated more power than they needed, they could sell the excess to the utility, but it is my understanding that that is not expected to happen.

So how's it that you expect that a warehouse or other business is going to have a solar power system installed on its roof, just to give that power to something else, while it continues to pay full price to the utility for all the power to meet its own needs?

HMMM - part of it depends on where you are. The northern states I could see that, but here's some interesting reading.

Ten Companies Using 100% Renewable Power
Elon Musk: 100 Tesla Gigafactories Could Power the Entire World
Tesla will power its Gigafactory with a 70-megawatt solar farm
Sun and sustainability: our factories run on 100% renewable electricity
Pie in the sky

This is sure to anger Trumpflakes :)

Gov. Jerry Brown outlined a $2.5 billion plan Friday to help Californians buy electric vehicles and expand a network of charging stations as part of a goal of getting 5 million zero-emission cars on the road by 2030.

The ambitious proposal to transform California's car culture comes as Brown begins his final year in office and works to set the stage for his environmental legacy to continue under his successor. The Democratic governor has positioned California as a global leader in fighting climate change amid President Donald Trump's decision to pull the U.S. out of the Paris climate accord.​

California governor pushes for 5 million zero-emission cars
So all that electricity is produced with zero emissions? Go Moonbeam Go!

Are you an expert ecologist? Or are you another biddable fool who opposes green and renewable energy sources because you've been told to echo the "ain't it awful" crowd of fools.

Still it is not American, especially when it subsidized by the federal government

So what will likely be the MOST American car is not an American car?

Okee
There is no such thing as an American car anymore, that’s just the facts. I get it you love teslas, that is fine ~ they just look like dog shit to me.
We don’t have emissions tests up here in the northern plains, They are not needed.

It also good to pay attention to the title of your thread. “Zero emission cars”!

Right - so you understand that these charging stations will go in with solar panels yes?

Do you understand how many solar panels it would take, and how much area they would have to cover, to produce enough power to charge an electric car at a rate that would come anywhere close to being comparable to the rate at which gasoline can be pumped into a conventional car?
Except when you are traveling, why would this be an issue? You charge it up at night when you are doing other things. As far as that goes, bet this won't be an issue in five years.
Let renewables mature into a viable energy source, there is no hurry.
Already a very viable energy source, and getting bigger every year.

The future of renewable energy is in Texas

Renewable energy isn't at a crossroads in the U.S. so much as on a two-lane highway: While the federal government hits the gas on fossil fuels, states are speeding ahead to develop renewable energy -- and reaching new milestones.

For example, enough solar energy is being collected every year to power all the single-family homes in Florida. Three states generate more than one-third of their energy from wind and solar. Some 160,000 electric cars were sold last year -- enough to supply the entire population of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. And earlier this year, wind and solar produced one-tenth of the nation's energy for an entire month.

A recent report highlights the states that are most quickly embracing renewable energy. And the leaders are not what many people might expect. Yes, California has some of the most pro-environment laws on the books. But the state that produces the most renewable energy in terms of sheer quantity? It's Texas. The states that generate the largest portion of their power from renewables: Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas and the Dakotas.

wind-maps.png

Looks to me as if renewables are coming on like gangbusters.

This is sure to anger Trumpflakes :)

Gov. Jerry Brown outlined a $2.5 billion plan Friday to help Californians buy electric vehicles and expand a network of charging stations as part of a goal of getting 5 million zero-emission cars on the road by 2030.

The ambitious proposal to transform California's car culture comes as Brown begins his final year in office and works to set the stage for his environmental legacy to continue under his successor. The Democratic governor has positioned California as a global leader in fighting climate change amid President Donald Trump's decision to pull the U.S. out of the Paris climate accord.​

California governor pushes for 5 million zero-emission cars
So all that electricity is produced with zero emissions? Go Moonbeam Go!

Are you an expert ecologist? Or are you another biddable fool who opposes green and renewable energy sources because you've been told to echo the "ain't it awful" crowd of fools.
I have no problem with renewables at all, give them time and I’m sure they will be fine they are decades away from being viable. There is no hurry… patience big guy. Lol

There is no such thing as an American car anymore, that’s just the facts. I get it you love teslas, that is fine ~ they just look like dog shit to me.
We don’t have emissions tests up here in the northern plains, They are not needed.

So if a car is 95% American - that's not good enough to call it an American car - and they allow you to roll coal in the Northern Plains??

Dude, you've blown a gasket

So, it has (in the real world) about a 90-mile radius of use. Yeahno.
At present. By 2023, I am willing to bet that the range of the EV's will be twice or three times what it is today. And they will be a lot cheaper. The range of the Tesla Semi and Roadster is showing the way. The battery technology is developing like the solar panel technology did. Once there was a large market, the price started dropping precipitously. And as the Tesla battery demonstrated in Australia, there are more the one reason to put in grid scale storage.
The "Tesla semi" is vaporware.

It also good to pay attention to the title of your thread. “Zero emission cars”!

Right - so you understand that these charging stations will go in with solar panels yes?

Do you understand how many solar panels it would take, and how much area they would have to cover, to produce enough power to charge an electric car at a rate that would come anywhere close to being comparable to the rate at which gasoline can be pumped into a conventional car?
Except when you are traveling, why would this be an issue? You charge it up at night when you are doing other things. As far as that goes, bet this won't be an issue in five years.
Let renewables mature into a viable energy source, there is no hurry.
Already a very viable energy source, and getting bigger every year.

The future of renewable energy is in Texas

Renewable energy isn't at a crossroads in the U.S. so much as on a two-lane highway: While the federal government hits the gas on fossil fuels, states are speeding ahead to develop renewable energy -- and reaching new milestones.

For example, enough solar energy is being collected every year to power all the single-family homes in Florida. Three states generate more than one-third of their energy from wind and solar. Some 160,000 electric cars were sold last year -- enough to supply the entire population of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. And earlier this year, wind and solar produced one-tenth of the nation's energy for an entire month.

A recent report highlights the states that are most quickly embracing renewable energy. And the leaders are not what many people might expect. Yes, California has some of the most pro-environment laws on the books. But the state that produces the most renewable energy in terms of sheer quantity? It's Texas. The states that generate the largest portion of their power from renewables: Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas and the Dakotas.

wind-maps.png

Looks to me as if renewables are coming on like gangbusters.
Like I said I have no problem with renewables, They just are not mature enough to be a viable energy source yet. When their time is here great there’s no hurry.
Up here in the northern plains they are not A viable energy source whatsoever.

So if a car is 95% American - that's not good enough to call it an American car - and they allow you to roll coal in the Northern Plains??

There is no law against diesel motors up here, you’re too much of a control freak for your own good

Still it is not American, especially when it subsidized by the federal government

Okee

My son bought a Bolt in December. The Bolt's sold out the day the car carrier delivered them. In my the community in which we live, the Tesla is common place, as are hybrids.

I'd guess if we were to drive the bolt in a Red State, many people would yell at us to, "Get a Horse".

There is no law against diesel motors up here, you’re too much of a control freak for your own good
Dumb fuck, the laws are federal air pollution laws, and the states cannot abrogate them.

Governor Moonbeam is a problem Californians will see resolved for them by the reality of what actuarial tables portend.

Patience.

They'll find something more detrimental to replace him.

Count on it.

Dumb fuck, the laws are federal air pollution laws, and the states cannot abrogate them.
There’s no such thing as emissions tests up here on peoples cars. Thank God we don’t need a bunch of fucking cowardly control freaks like that here

Okee

It's nice that you take pride in your ignorance, and seem to believe posting invidious comments is a good way to communicate your lack of knowledge with so many people.

Forum List

Back