California regulators say Uber, Lyft drivers are employees.

This is where I learn to avoid things I don't want to address.

yet here you are ..................

I see you've learned it also.
Telling people the government is good to make sure people can’t be Uber drivers or free lance journalists makes a lot of new fresh Republicans. Thanks.

It's telling people everyone will be treated equally. You can argue if you wish to an end to the regulations but I'm not sure how you can argue that some businesses should be treated differently than others.
Ah! So my body my choice is bullshit.

I'm not sure how that relates to what I've said at all.

Can you explain?
Of course you’re clueless at how the government ordering people they can’t earn an honest living is a bad thing. Fascists love that stuff.

Argue that. Just don't argue that the government should treat one business better than the next one.
Just don't argue that the government should treat one business better than the next one.
What? Uber business model is apples and oranges and free lance journalists and Uber drivers enjoyed what they were doing to support their families, fascist.

Telling people the government is good to make sure people can’t be Uber drivers or free lance journalists makes a lot of new fresh Republicans. Thanks.

It's telling people everyone will be treated equally. You can argue if you wish to an end to the regulations but I'm not sure how you can argue that some businesses should be treated differently than others.

Can you explain?
Of course you’re clueless at how the government ordering people they can’t earn an honest living is a bad thing. Fascists love that stuff.

Argue that. Just don't argue that the government should treat one business better than the next one.
Just don't argue that the government should treat one business better than the next one.
What? Uber business model is apples and oranges and free lance journalists and Uber drivers enjoyed what they were doing to support their families, fascist.

Uber is no different than A-1 cab service.

You most certainly can start up your own driving business any time you want . This does not stop that.

What a pathetic dodge.

People liked working for Uber as a contractor, they set their hours, Uber handled all the tech stuff.

So a single driver can create a app that replicates uber? Is that what you are saying?

Not to mention all the freelance journalists that lost their gigs because of this law.

I addressed the idea that you can no longer work for yourself. You can. It's what happens when you interject hyperbole into what might otherwise be a good argument.

You can, but not the same way as you did as an Uber driver. you also have to do mountains of paperwork to become a company, and pay all the required fees, and track all the required accounting info. Plus you don't have the uber app to get you hails.

So your pathetic attempt to say the same thing is still availible is just that, pathetic.

I said that despite the claim otherwise you can still go to work for yourself. This ruling doesn't even change anything for those working, it only does for those who they work for.

In the end you agreed with me but still feel a pressing need to argue.

Work for yourself doing what? Still not getting called for gigs as a writer? Sitting in your car with a phone number and a card hoping for hails?

You aren't comparing the same thing. People LIKED the gig economy, they liked the flexibility, now you either have to work for the company, or not be able to work the way you want to.

Laws no matter how intrusive are meant to be followed right?

Just abide by the law here and all is good.
God. Fuck you. If the law was for you to chop off your own fucking DICK, you should just shut up, and abide?

Just obey the law here and all is good, right?

Isn't that your EXACT argument against black people. That there wouldn't be a problem with the police killing blacks if they would just shut the fuck up and do as they're told? And not protest.

But now you're saying that people shouldn't obey the law. They should resist tyranny. That's the exact opposite of what you're saying in the threads about black people.

Can you explain?

I love how you conservatives all enthusiastically embrace any money making scheme for large corporations, even as it does incalculable harm to working men and women. All internet based "gig economy" jobs make big money for the corporations behind them, and pennies for the gig workers they employ.

Uber does active damage to the money that cab drivers make in big cities. As a former big city dweller who took a lot of cabs, I can tell you I never met a rich cab driver. I never met a cab driver who wasn't working 12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week to keep of roof over their heads, and food on the family table. They pay massive amounts of money for cab insurance and to get licensed to drive in the city.

Uber cuts into the income for hard working cab drivers, and it's not like the uber drivers are making big money. They're getting peanuts compared to what the corporation receives. Similarly, restaurants are now running ads asking customer NOT to use Skip the Dishes, or similar restaurant delivery services.

Skip the Dishes purports to offer delivery services for restaurants who don't otherwise offer home delivery. Increase sales, increase profits, drivers make side gig money, everybody wins. Except that Skip the Dishes takes 20% of the sale, just for booking the delivery. The driver's fee is added to the price of the order, and the driver pays all of the costs of completing the delivery out of their fee, so the actual delivery costs the company nothing. The restaurants make 15% gross profit on the order, but they have to pay 20% to STD. They're losing money on every sale.

My daughter drove from online food delivery company or other, when her husband was first starting his business. Grub Hub or Skip the Dishes. I don't know which one. On a good night, she'd made $30 in four hours. Less gas, and insurance.

If you drive your car commercially, your insurance goes up. If you're driving cab (Uber), you're insurance goes WAY up. If you're in an accident while working, and you haven't told your insurance company that you're using your car for work, they are under no obligation to cover the accident.

This is yet another example of something that the right claims is really great to help industrious workers get ahead. In reality, it's yet another scam whereby public corporations siphon off the earnings of hard working people to divert to the shareholder class. The working people get the crumbs, but Uber and its owners earn millions.

Can you explain?

I love how you conservatives all enthusiastically embrace any money making scheme for large corporations, even as it does incalculable harm to working men and women. All internet based "gig economy" jobs make big money for the corporations behind them, and pennies for the gig workers they employ.

Uber does active damage to the money that cab drivers make in big cities. As a former big city dweller who took a lot of cabs, I can tell you I never met a rich cab driver. I never met a cab driver who wasn't working 12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week to keep of roof over their heads, and food on the family table. They pay massive amounts of money for cab insurance and to get licensed to drive in the city.

Uber cuts into the income for hard working cab drivers, and it's not like the uber drivers are making big money. They're getting peanuts compared to what the corporation receives. Similarly, restaurants are now running ads asking customer NOT to use Skip the Dishes, or similar restaurant delivery services.

Skip the Dishes purports to offer delivery services for restaurants who don't otherwise offer home delivery. Increase sales, increase profits, drivers make side gig money, everybody wins. Except that Skip the Dishes takes 20% of the sale, just for booking the delivery. The driver's fee is added to the price of the order, and the driver pays all of the costs of completing the delivery out of their fee, so the actual delivery costs the company nothing. The restaurants make 15% gross profit on the order, but they have to pay 20% to STD. They're losing money on every sale.

My daughter drove from online food delivery company or other, when her husband was first starting his business. Grub Hub or Skip the Dishes. I don't know which one. On a good night, she'd made $30 in four hours. Less gas, and insurance.

If you drive your car commercially, your insurance goes up. If you're driving cab (Uber), you're insurance goes WAY up. If you're in an accident while working, and you haven't told your insurance company that you're using your car for work, they are under no obligation to cover the accident.

This is yet another example of something that the right claims is really great to help industrious workers get ahead. In reality, it's yet another scam whereby public corporations siphon off the earnings of hard working people to divert to the shareholder class. The working people get the crumbs, but Uber and its owners earn millions.

NYC medallion cabs brought it on themselves by keeping fucked up cars, and denying rides to neighborhoods and boros they don't like. Also getting one outside of Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn is next to impossible.

Uber cars are clean, show up on time, and are usually driven by pro's. If they didn't pay enough they wouldn't have any drivers.

Next time comment on something you know about, you Canadian k_unt

Can you explain?

NYC medallion cabs brought it on themselves by keeping fucked up cars, and denying rides to neighborhoods and boros they don't like. Also getting one outside of Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn is next to impossible.

Uber cars are clean, show up on time, and are usually driven by pro's. If they didn't pay enough they wouldn't have any drivers.

Next time comment on something you know about, you Canadian k_unt

Competition is good. The government tilting the playing field is not.

You most certainly can start up your own driving business any time you want . This does not stop that.

What a pathetic dodge.

People liked working for Uber as a contractor, they set their hours, Uber handled all the tech stuff.

So a single driver can create a app that replicates uber? Is that what you are saying?

Not to mention all the freelance journalists that lost their gigs because of this law.

I addressed the idea that you can no longer work for yourself. You can. It's what happens when you interject hyperbole into what might otherwise be a good argument.

You can, but not the same way as you did as an Uber driver. you also have to do mountains of paperwork to become a company, and pay all the required fees, and track all the required accounting info. Plus you don't have the uber app to get you hails.

So your pathetic attempt to say the same thing is still availible is just that, pathetic.

I said that despite the claim otherwise you can still go to work for yourself. This ruling doesn't even change anything for those working, it only does for those who they work for.

Shows what you know. If uber drivers are now employees rather than contractors, Uber is now free to set their hours and other conditions. Now in CA if you are an Uber driver and Uber tells you that your hours are 8-5 M-F if you want to drive for them, you either do, or you don't. Whereas as a contractor YOU set your own hours.

Of course whether Uber will do that or not is another matter entirely, but they now can if they wish, and remember this doesn't just apply to Uber.

The reality is this is gonna hurt people more than it hurts companies, take journalism , for example. Websites are going to be hard pressed to engage freelance reporters in CA now because of this ruling, so they probably will just hire freelancers from other states instead. Harming CA freelance journalists.

Do leftists EVER stop to think of the consequences of their ill advised policy choices?

What a pathetic dodge.

Musicians, actors, trades people, yada, yada, yada.

What a pathetic dodge.

Shows what you know. If uber drivers are now employees rather than contractors, Uber is now free to set their hours and other conditions. Now in CA if you are an Uber driver and Uber tells you that your hours are 8-5 M-F if you want to drive for them, you either do, or you don't. Whereas as a contractor YOU set your own hours.

Of course whether Uber will do that or not is another matter entirely, but they now can if they wish, and remember this doesn't just apply to Uber.

The reality is this is gonna hurt people more than it hurts companies, take journalism , for example. Websites are going to be hard pressed to engage freelance reporters in CA now because of this ruling, so they probably will just hire freelancers from other states instead. Harming CA freelance journalists.

Do leftists EVER stop to think of the consequences of their ill advised policy choices?

A lot of employees can set their own hours.

What a pathetic dodge.

If their employers allow them too, you bet. But, they don't have to is the point.

Why does every discussion with a leftist have to go like this? You damn well know what we were discussing, yet you have to try to deflect, why not just say "yes , that is a good point, not very well thought out on that front" or something similar? Might lend some credibility to your posts, just saying.

What a pathetic dodge.

If their employers allow them too, you bet. But, they don't have to is the point.

Why does every discussion with a leftist have to go like this? You damn well know what we were discussing, yet you have to try to deflect, why not just say "yes , that is a good point, not very well thought out on that front" or something similar? Might lend some credibility to your posts, just saying.

Can Uber fire you?

It's about TAX revenue and government CONTROL. Hell the Chicago mayor just said she may gut punch the city with property tax INCREASES, shocker.

California has totally destroyed the gig economy in their state. You can’t be a self contractor for anything now. I’m so old I remember when people trying to feed their families was a good thing.

They are now enforcing it when rideshare business is down 83%.

So 2 things happen:
(1) Workers are paid $13 an hour, set schedules to ensure at most part time work. Real bosses. No selections in rider selection. Move closer to a taxi business model, which people use ride share because they hate. Not gig work anymore. No more side hustle. No more flexibility. Huge increase in prices. Competition with taxis, that pushed them to be better goes away, and I once again cross CA off the vacation list!

(2) Uber and Lyft pull out of CA and it goes back to taxi. More people lose their livelihood. More people lose easy and flexible side money. Taxis go back to no competition = increase in cost and lower service. Getting a ride is nearly impossible in the city.
The People’s Republic of CA has destroyed another thing people love.

Forum List

Back