Calling Out TNHarley: Should the 1st Eleven Chapters be Read Literally or Allegorically

Medieval scholars believed the Old Testament to serve as an allegory of New Testament events, such as the story of Jonah and the whale, which represents Jesus' death and resurrection
Christians love taking over the Jewish faith
That's not an argument that the account of Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?

You didn't even know that there were different literary styles used in the Bible.
A lie of course.
If it were a lie we wouldn't be having this discussion because you would have already have known that legal and history literary styles were the only types to be literally.
There are metaphors and all kinds of figure of speech. Hek, a whole book is in poems. Everyone knows this. You guys call everything an allegory that doesnt make sense.
You lie like the good little Christian you are.
They must be interpreted allegorically to be understood.
But before, they made sense. When reality bit them in the ass, their tunes changed.
Hek, people STILL believe the Earth is flat and immobile :lol:
That's not an argument that the account of Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?

This debate has proven that the literal interpretation of Genesis was not changed to an allegorical interpretation because of science.
:lmao:

Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?
In the Bible. Peoples actions throughout the last 2k years. Peoples action today.
Of course, this has already been explained to you.

Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?
In the Bible. Peoples actions throughout the last 2k years. Peoples action today.
That's not proof that the account of Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?

I understand there are many figures of speech in the bible. Like Jesus at the Last supper. "this is my body, this is my blood" Or something like that. Obviously, thats not to be taken literal.
I am referring to other things. Like the flood. Creation. The earth being flat and immobile. Etc.
That was all believed until reality flushed that shit down the drain.
Galileo got oppressed for Copernicanism. Now that is an allegory. Its convenient, ey?
Yep, and I'll cover all of that when I make my case.
Its Monday :dunno:
Now its Monday afternoon. Still waiting on you to cover all this and "make your case" :lol:

The account of Genesis wasn't read allegorically because of science. The account of Genesis is read literally because that' how it was intended to be read.
Origen in his Treatise on First Principles, recommends for the Old and New Testaments to be interpreted allegorically at three levels, the "flesh," the "soul," and the "spirit." He states that many of the events recounted in the Scriptures, if they are interpreted in the literal, or fleshly, sense, are impossible or nonsensical. They must be interpreted allegorically to be understood. Some passages have parts that are literally true and parts that are literally impossible. Then, "the reader must endeavor to grasp the entire meaning, connecting by an intellectual process the account of what is literally impossible with the parts that are not impossible but historically true, these being interpreted allegorically in common with the part which, so far as the letter goes, did not happen at all."[7]

That's not proof that the account of Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Where is your proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, TN?
It is, actually.
You act as if we were still in the dark ages, you wouldnt be thinking the earth is immobile and flat. And we all know thats bullshit.

I understand there are many figures of speech in the bible. Like Jesus at the Last supper. "this is my body, this is my blood" Or something like that. Obviously, thats not to be taken literal.
I am referring to other things. Like the flood. Creation. The earth being flat and immobile. Etc.
Galileo got oppressed for Copernicanism. Now that is an allegory. Its convenient, ey?
Now its Monday afternoon. Still waiting on you to cover all this and "make your case" :lol:
It really is no wonder that you can't afford to pay for your kids lunches at school, TN.

The account of Genesis wasn't read allegorically because of science. The account of Genesis is read literally because that' how it was intended to be read.
Origen in his Treatise on First Principles, recommends for the Old and New Testaments to be interpreted allegorically at three levels, the "flesh," the "soul," and the "spirit." He states that many of the events recounted in the Scriptures, if they are interpreted in the literal, or fleshly, sense, are impossible or nonsensical. They must be interpreted allegorically to be understood. Some passages have parts that are literally true and parts that are literally impossible. Then, "the reader must endeavor to grasp the entire meaning, connecting by an intellectual process the account of what is literally impossible with the parts that are not impossible but historically true, these being interpreted allegorically in common with the part which, so far as the letter goes, did not happen at all."[7]

Nice, quoting the guy that got shunned by the church :lol:
The account of Genesis is read literally because that' how it was intended to be read.
So, god making plants before the sun makes sense to you?
Or god literally made Adam out of dirt?

It really is no wonder that you can't afford to pay for your kids lunches at school, TN.
Ding is getting mad again :lol:

It is, actually.
You act as if we were still in the dark ages, you wouldnt be thinking the earth is immobile and flat. And we all know thats bullshit.
Again... it has been proven that from the writings of the Church Fathers, that Genesis was intended to be read allegorically since the beginning of the Church.

You on the other hand have offered zero evidence or proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Show me the writing of the Fathers of the Church that support your claim.

Last edited:
Ding is getting mad again :lol:
You are projecting. I have proven my case. You haven't. All you have done is present your imagination.

Nice, quoting the guy that got shunned by the church :lol:
The account of Genesis is read literally because that' how it was intended to be read.
So, god making plants before the sun makes sense to you?
Or god literally made Adam out of dirt?

You on the other hand have offered zero evidence or proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally. Show me the writing of the Fathers of the Church that support your claim.
My whole point is yall just made that shit up.
I mean, the guy you quoted got SHUNNED because of his beliefs. Galileo got oppressed for saying the earth rotated around the sun.
Tis history :dunno:

My whole point is yall just made that shit up.
I mean, the guy you quoted got SHUNNED because of his beliefs. Galileo got oppressed for saying the earth rotated around the sun.
Tis history :dunno:

Show me a quote by one of the Fathers of the Church.

All you have done is present your imagination.
I cant believe you actually said that :lol:
Given that you have shown no proof that Genesis was always intended to be read literally and was only changed because of science, it is absolutely in your head. It's all in your imagination.

Show me a quote by one of the Fathers of the Church that supports your position.

Last edited:
TNHarley the account of Genesis wasn't read allegorically because of science. The account of Genesis is read allegorically because that's how it was intended to be read and that's what was always believed by the Church. Here is the proof.

Do you have any evidence - besides what your imagination made up - that disputes this? You do know what evidence is, right? Something like a statement by a Church Father that says, Genesis should be read literally?

Forum List

Back