Cam Newton apology

I thought what he said was true

There are not many women who can talk the Xs and Os of football. You usually have to have played the game
It was really a compliment to her knowledge of football
Naw. its like saying youre smart for a ******.

Not really

To me it is acknowledging she is as good as a male reporter.
If there were dozens and dozens of female reporters who can break down plays and comment on how they worked,,,he would be condescending

I really see it as a complement on her skills as a reporter

No

There are not many women who can talk the Xs and Os of football. You usually have to have played the game
Truth in both statements.
No truth. Just plain ole ignorance.
No...Women do not normally play or coach football on any level. Therefore the average woman's knowledge of the intricacies of the game would logically be assumed to be rather limited.
African Americans have an average IQ of 85. A standard deviation from the national average. So...pretty smart for a black guy would ring true if someone were comparing to the average.
Are these polite things to say? No, of course not. However there is a modicum of truth to both.
You seem to be forgetting that she is a sports reporter. Her knowledge of the game is most likely better than some men. When you are talking to a person you dont talk to a stat called average.

IQ has nothing to do with intelligence. its not even a valid measurement of intelligence. A test created by whites cant measure the intellect. They arent qualified or smart enough to design such a test.

there is no modicum of truth. Only ignorance.

Last edited:
Women are all about getting into the rough and tumble journalistic sports arena and competing with the men.

But if they get offended by a players comment.

The first thing they do is pull out their women's victim card and go cry to the media like a little girl. ..... :cool:

Not really

To me it is acknowledging she is as good as a male reporter.
If there were dozens and dozens of female reporters who can break down plays and comment on how they worked,,,he would be condescending

I really see it as a complement on her skills as a reporter
Nope. its exactly like that. Its a presumption that there arent thousands of women let alone female reporters that can break down plays and comment on how they worked. Thats not a compliment at all even if you think it is when you say it.

Women are all about getting into the rough and tumble journalistic sports arena and competing with the men.

The first thing they do is pull out their women's victim card and go cry to the media like a little girl. ..... :cool:
The first thing she did was complete her job then go confront Cam and let him know how she felt. She seemed to be braver than most men would be.

I would have to re-read the story.... but did the reporter pull/playl the victim card, or did other people play the card for her?

No

No...Women do not normally play or coach football on any level. Therefore the average woman's knowledge of the intricacies of the game would logically be assumed to be rather limited.
African Americans have an average IQ of 85. A standard deviation from the national average. So...pretty smart for a black guy would ring true if someone were comparing to the average.
Are these polite things to say? No, of course not. However there is a modicum of truth to both.
You seem to be forgetting that she is a sports reporter. Her knowledge of the game is most likely better than some men. When you are talking to a person you dont talk to a stat called average.

IQ has nothing to do with intelligence. its not even a valid measurement of intelligence. A test created by whites cant measure the intellect. They arent qualified or smart enough to design such a test.
Yes...yes...IQ, doesn't matter.
So following your logic train; crime reporters have extensive criminology and forensics backgrounds? Weathermen are Meteorologists? Hardly.

No

So following your logic train; crime reporters have extensive criminology and forensics backgrounds? Weathermen are Meteorologists? Hardly.
Following my logic i'm going to say there are plenty of crime reporters that have extensive knowledge of criminology and forensics. Why would that surprise you? They are reporting on crime and to be better they would study those fields.

I wouldnt have apologized
When your lifelong career is suddenly in the crosshair you would.

I don't think what he did was a big deal as we all say stupid shit on occasion, but his apology looked to be very sincere to me.
I think the sincerity lies in understanding what he did was insulting to females. I'm going to guess his wife and girls had something to do with that. I have stuck my foot in my mouth making sexist comments and my wife and 3 girls were there to nag me into submission on numerous occasions. :laugh:

So now I am automatically cautious and think about what I have to say before i say it.

No

Following my logic i'm going to say there are plenty of crime reporters that have extensive knowledge of criminology and forensics. Why would that surprise you? They are reporting on crime and to be better they would study those fields.
By extensive knowledge and background I am referring to time in the field. Hands on experience and educational credentialing. Tacit knowledge acquired over time is expected, but hands on field knowledge is another.
Reporters are experts (or should be) in the field of communications. Their job is to REPORT facts and assist the layman as the Fifth Estate.
Likewise she is a reporter who communicates sports stories. Granted, sports are nowhere as complicated as crime scene investigation. However, as a sports reporter her job is not to diagram formations for the general public. She tells the score, gets a comment, provides a few more statistics and then concludes the article. Hardly coaching or even player level knowledge required.
Once again, rude but there is a modicum of truth if the entire female base is taken into account.

No

By extensive knowledge and background I am referring to time in the field. Hands on experience and educational credentialing. Tacit knowledge acquired over time is expected, but hands on field knowledge is another.
Reporters are experts (or should be) in the field of communications. Their job is to REPORT facts and assist the layman as the Fifth Estate.
Likewise she is a reporter who communicates sports stories. Granted, sports are nowhere as complicated as crime scene investigation. However, as a sports reporter her job is not to diagram formations for the general public. She tells the score, gets a comment, provides a few more statistics and then concludes the article. Hardly coaching or even player level knowledge required.
Once again, rude but there is a modicum of truth if the entire female base is taken into account.
Well there is your mistake right there. You assume knowledge is only gained by hands on work or credentials. I have to inform you its not. I can do research at home on any given subject and be more knowledgeable about that subject than someone that works in the field in a relatively short time. I'll give you a good example. i was working on a issue where data backups were failing on a server. I was an expert in the application on the server. The people I turned the issue over to were developers of the code. They guy mentioned something about encryption and it took me all of 2 hours to resolve the problem. I came back with my findings/comparisons and the guy agreed I was correct and admitted I had taught him something. They had to include a fix in the next version of code.

The other part of your mistake was in assuming that everyone comes into reporting because thats all they know. I would offer they get assigned based on their experience or interest in a given subject matter. While majoring in communications one could have a minor in criminology. See? No modicum of truth not even a modicum of a modicum.

Well there is your mistake right there. You assume knowledge is only gained by hands on work or credentials. I have to inform you its not. I can do research at home on any given subject and be more knowledgeable about that subject than someone that works in the field in a relatively short time.

Valid and I have known quite a few people like that. Unfortunately they will gain no official industry respect. Nor be accepted into any industry as a full fledged member until they either put in the 'hands on' labor, and practical work experience or achieve accreditation commensurate for at least entry level. Reporters communicate aspects they do not perform the task.
How many times have you heard of coaches calling up reporters for game tips?

I'll give you a good example. i was working on a issue where data backups were failing on a server. I was an expert in the application on the server. The people I turned the issue over to were developers of the code. They guy mentioned something about encryption and it took me all of 2 hours to resolve the problem. I came back with my findings/comparisons and the guy agreed I was correct and admitted I had taught him something. They had to include a fix in the next version of code.

You have provided me an example where you were the application SME. You actually work intimately in the field gaining hands on knowledge and experience. This is not the same as me reporting on your database. Your knowledge base and credentialing are in the computers and database applications (or something directly related) correct?
Reporters are experts in communication. Not to say that all reporters everywhere are do not possess some sheepskin on the wall in the field they are reporting on, but most simply dont. The aforementioned 'Weatherman' is a prime example of such.
I am done on this topic...Good Exchange! Thank you sir!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 17
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 23
Well there is your mistake right there. You assume knowledge is only gained by hands on work or credentials. I have to inform you its not. I can do research at home on any given subject and be more knowledgeable about that subject than someone that works in the field in a relatively short time.

Valid and I have known quite a few people like that. Unfortunately they will gain no official industry respect. Nor be accepted into any industry as a full fledged member until they either put in the 'hands on' labor, and practical work experience or achieve accreditation commensurate for at least entry level. Reporters communicate aspects they do not perform the task.
How many times have you heard of coaches calling up reporters for game tips?

I'll give you a good example. i was working on a issue where data backups were failing on a server. I was an expert in the application on the server. The people I turned the issue over to were developers of the code. They guy mentioned something about encryption and it took me all of 2 hours to resolve the problem. I came back with my findings/comparisons and the guy agreed I was correct and admitted I had taught him something. They had to include a fix in the next version of code.

You have provided me an example where you were the application SME. You actually work intimately in the field gaining hands on knowledge and experience. This is not the same as me reporting on your database. Your knowledge base and credentialing are in the computers and database applications (or something directly related) correct?
Reporters are experts in communication. Not to say that all reporters everywhere are do not possess some sheepskin on the wall in the field they are reporting on, but most simply dont. The aforementioned 'Weatherman' is a prime example of such.
I am done on this topic...Good Exchange! Thank you sir!
Knowledge doesnt require acceptance or respect of those in the that field. It exists regardless of how they may feel about it. A coach wouldnt call up a reporter normally. They have scouts that do that. However, I'm going to bet at least one coach has asked a knowledgeable reporter about a tip.

My knowledge is in the implementation and administration of the application in question. I know a little code but not much. The person I escalated to is a developer that writes code. Its the exact same scenario

Mansplaining?

I have been watching football for 50 years and women have come a long way
They are no longer just eye candy

But there are not many female reporters who get into the dynamics of why a certain play worked or didn't work. It is not an issue of their sex, but their background. There are not many female reporters who have spent hour upon hour breaking down film.

I think Cam Newton was surprised at the question because he is not used to these questions coming from a woman.

I think it was a complement to the reporter
Not one female announcer I can think of who could hold an audience. It's still mostly eyecandy. Still waiting for the strong woman type who wont get bent over everything

Last edited:

Forum List

Back