Can Any Dem/lib Tell Us What Agency The Govt Has Run Efficiently?

Most of them.

brilliant reply, swallow. Got any examples?

providing clean water to drink [nope] Private corporations do it cheaper
keeping the peace [nope]
sending out Social Security checks [nope]
reducing workplace injuries [nope]
ensuring aircraft safety [nope]
feeding the hungry [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
protecting consumers [nope]
regulating business (until Republicans fucked that up) [nope]
vaccines [nope]
interstate highway system [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Telephone infrastructure [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
centers for disease control [nope]
human genome project [nope]
employee rights [nope]
ban on leaded gas (lead in children's blood fell 37% in just a couple of years after the ban) [nope]
FAA [nope]
National weather service [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

The problem with these right wingernut dipshits is they actually believe all that bullshit. They stand on the soapbox of ignorance and say "prove it". And it's so easy. Because stupid doesn't think. It doesn't need to. Because in it's own deluded mind, it's always right.
clay_maitland_blog_cartoon.jpg

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
ban on leaded gas (lead in children's blood fell 37% in just a couple of years after the ban) [nope]
FAA [nope]

The question is what does the government do efficiently. You obviously didn't get it.

Obviously you don't get it.

Efficiency at a private corporation means one thing.

Profit.

That's it.

They have no interest in the public good. None. Zero. Zip.

If it were possible to pay an employee nothing? That's what they would do.

If it were possible to package rat meat as beef? That's what they would do.

If it were possible to put swamp water into vials and call it "medicine"? That's what they would do.

It's historical fact.

We don't have millionaires and billionaires because of altruism. We have them because of greed.

And that's what motivates business. Not the public good.

horseshit. are the following corporations not interested in the public good?

St Judes
MD Anderson
Apple
Microsoft
Facebook
GE
GM
Ford
Budweiser

Sure they make profit, profit is not evil. profit makes the economy work, profit creates jobs, profit pays taxes

what you left wing fools don't get is that corporations fail when they do the things you listed.

thanks for making my point. From your cite

"
efficiency of government spending has become one of the key issues in public finance. In
the advanced economies and many transition countries, higher efficiency of spending seems to
be the only way to avoid that public services are squeezed out between the opposing forces of
age-related expenditure and rising tax competition (Heller and Hauner, 2006). In low-income
countries, increased expenditure efficiency will have to complement increased social expenditure
if the Millennium Development Goals are to be reached. Emerging markets, in turn, may seem
under less pressure of this kind, given their rapid growth, but it is well-known that the demand
for public services tends to rapidly increase as countries become richer (the so-called Wagner
effect), and higher efficiency will be the only way to avoid a large increase in the tax burden.
Moreover, good government is also of more general concern, as it has been shown, for example
by Easterly and Levine (1997), that it is a crucial determinant of economic growth."

In no way was I ever disagreeing with you, I was just asking you to provide a legitimate conceptual standard that is used within policy circles rather than talking out of your ass like a moron, which is what you've done every time I've asked for a standard definition. I wanted citations, not some weak, "any time X goes a dollar over it's inefficient."

I gave you the dictionary definition of efficient. Then I further clarified that completing the job at or under budget is efficient.

I cannot help it if you disagree with those simple words, or don't understand them.

I pointed out why the dictionary definition wasn't sufficient. Frankly, it took you 21 pages of your own thread to be coerced into conceptualizing what you were asking people to talk about.

Sorry, if you missed it. I was clear from the beginning. The question was, and is, why do liberals want to turn more of our economy over to the the government when we all know that the government has never operated efficiently, the specific question was, and is, related to healthcare.

Some of you on the left tried to highjack thread by challenging the definition of efficient. So I clarified that.

None of you has provided a cogent response to why you want the government to run more and more of your lives, and waste more and more of your money.

Is it because none of you pay income tax? Is it because you are all takers and parasites?

Government's main mission is fairness and adherence to the law. That's why there are many inefficiencies built into the way government performs.

For example, the recruitment system for civil service as presently run. In the interests of being "fair," the Office of Personnel Management rates every institution of higher learning as equal. Thus, a BA from a for-profit diploma mill equals a BA from Harvard (or Williams, or Michigan, etc.).

Awarding of contracts is kabuki theater. It's a long, drawn out process.

Most of them.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

The problem with these right wingernut dipshits is they actually believe all that bullshit. They stand on the soapbox of ignorance and say "prove it". And it's so easy. Because stupid doesn't think. It doesn't need to. Because in it's own deluded mind, it's always right.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

The question is what does the government do efficiently. You obviously didn't get it.

Profit.

That's it.

If it were possible to put swamp water into vials and call it "medicine"? That's what they would do.

It's historical fact.

We don't have millionaires and billionaires because of altruism. We have them because of greed.

Success and greed are not the same thing. One can be successful without being greedy. A company can be successful without taking advantage of its employees and customers. In fact the truth is that greedy corporations and people are rarely successful. Greed leads to corruption and corruption leads to failure and jail time----------can you say Madoff and Rostenkowski and Blogo and Abramoff?

Seriously. You are out of your element.

This whole thread is peppered with your convoluted rants and railings against the government, yet you have no gold standard to compare anything with.

The laws and regulations that have been implemented by the United States government has been directly responsible for it's prosperity.

The things the government runs? Have been run both effectively and efficiently. Better than most other places in the world and better now than in all US history.

And pointing out the downfall of a few bad actors doesn't help your case on greed in the slightest. We have executives making 100s of times more than employees. That's not because they work more hours or do more stuff.

You don't have a leg to stand on here.

thanks for making my point. From your cite

"
efficiency of government spending has become one of the key issues in public finance. In
the advanced economies and many transition countries, higher efficiency of spending seems to
be the only way to avoid that public services are squeezed out between the opposing forces of
age-related expenditure and rising tax competition (Heller and Hauner, 2006). In low-income
countries, increased expenditure efficiency will have to complement increased social expenditure
if the Millennium Development Goals are to be reached. Emerging markets, in turn, may seem
under less pressure of this kind, given their rapid growth, but it is well-known that the demand
for public services tends to rapidly increase as countries become richer (the so-called Wagner
effect), and higher efficiency will be the only way to avoid a large increase in the tax burden.
Moreover, good government is also of more general concern, as it has been shown, for example
by Easterly and Levine (1997), that it is a crucial determinant of economic growth."

In no way was I ever disagreeing with you, I was just asking you to provide a legitimate conceptual standard that is used within policy circles rather than talking out of your ass like a moron, which is what you've done every time I've asked for a standard definition. I wanted citations, not some weak, "any time X goes a dollar over it's inefficient."

I gave you the dictionary definition of efficient. Then I further clarified that completing the job at or under budget is efficient.

I cannot help it if you disagree with those simple words, or don't understand them.

I pointed out why the dictionary definition wasn't sufficient. Frankly, it took you 21 pages of your own thread to be coerced into conceptualizing what you were asking people to talk about.

Sorry, if you missed it. I was clear from the beginning. The question was, and is, why do liberals want to turn more of our economy over to the the government when we all know that the government has never operated efficiently, the specific question was, and is, related to healthcare.

Some of you on the left tried to highjack thread by challenging the definition of efficient. So I clarified that.

None of you has provided a cogent response to why you want the government to run more and more of your lives, and waste more and more of your money.

Is it because none of you pay income tax? Is it because you are all takers and parasites?

Government's main mission is fairness and adherence to the law. That's why there are many inefficiencies built into the way government performs.

For example, the recruitment system for civil service as presently run. In the interests of being "fair," the Office of Personnel Management rates every institution of higher learning as equal. Thus, a BA from a for-profit diploma mill equals a BA from Harvard (or Williams, or Michigan, etc.).

Yes, long, drawn out, and inefficient. I spent most of my career negotiating contracts with the US Navy. I speak from personal experience.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Success and greed are not the same thing. One can be successful without being greedy. A company can be successful without taking advantage of its employees and customers. In fact the truth is that greedy corporations and people are rarely successful. Greed leads to corruption and corruption leads to failure and jail time----------can you say Madoff and Rostenkowski and Blogo and Abramoff?

This whole thread is peppered with your convoluted rants and railings against the government, yet you have no gold standard to compare anything with.

The laws and regulations that have been implemented by the United States government has been directly responsible for it's prosperity.

The things the government runs? Have been run both effectively and efficiently. Better than most other places in the world and better now than in all US history.

And pointing out the downfall of a few bad actors doesn't help your case on greed in the slightest. We have executives making 100s of times more than employees. That's not because they work more hours or do more stuff.

Um, the things government runs have not always or even mostly been run effectively and efficiently.

They have been run according to the laws passed by Congress and implemented according to the policy of President in office at the time.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they accomplish the mission but aren't efficient.

Most of them.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

St Judes
MD Anderson
Apple
Microsoft
Facebook
GE
GM
Ford
Budweiser

Sure they make profit, profit is not evil. profit makes the economy work, profit creates jobs, profit pays taxes

what you left wing fools don't get is that corporations fail when they do the things you listed.

No they are not.

They are interested in "looking" like they are interested because it helps the bottom line.

If no one gave a shit, they wouldn't either.

Yes, long, drawn out, and inefficient. I spent most of my career negotiating contracts with the US Navy. I speak from personal experience.

We have a Navy contracting officer on our condo board. You have to keep her away from the bidding process on capital improvements or we never get to closure.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

many of those over paid executives are civil servants. Have you looked at the SES pay scale recently? How about the pay scales for Admirals and Generals? How about the retirement plans for congress?

Over paid, non-performing executives are numerous in the government. And, yes many CEOs make ridiculous amounts of money. How would you propose to curtail over payment in govt and private industry?

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

many of those over paid executives are civil servants. Have you looked at the SES pay scale recently? How about the pay scales for Admirals and Generals? How about the retirement plans for congress?

Over paid, non-performing executives are numerous in the government. And, yes many CEOs make ridiculous amounts of money. How would you propose to curtail over payment in govt and private industry?

You really don't want me to get into a rant about how creation of the Senior Executive Service was the worst thing Jimmy Carter ever did, do you?

I offer up as example the entire VA scandal. Throw in a touch of the IRS one, too. Oh, and the EPA spy scandal.

We have a Navy contracting officer on our condo board. You have to keep her away from the bidding process on capital improvements or we never get to closure.

some of them were very good, others were terrible. the majority were below average at best.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Um, the things government runs have not always or even mostly been run effectively and efficiently.

They have been run according to the laws passed by Congress and implemented according to the policy of President in office at the time.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they accomplish the mission but aren't efficient.

You, like the OP, would buttress your case by providing something in the way of benchmarks and/or metrics..

Like say:

-Spacely Sprockets, in 2014, was able to produce 10,000 sprockets a week, at a cost of $1 dollar a sprocket.

-Government Sprockets, in 2014, was able to produce 8,000 sprockets a week, at a cost of $2 dollars a sprocket.

Given the sprockets were of the same quality, obviously Spacely was more efficient.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

You, like the OP, would buttress your case by providing something in the way of benchmarks and/or metrics..

Like say:

-Spacely Sprockets, in 2014, was able to produce 10,000 sprockets a week, at a cost of $1 dollar a sprocket.

-Government Sprockets, in 2014, was able to produce 8,000 sprockets a week, at a cost of $2 dollars a sprocket.

Given the sprockets were of the same quality, obviously Spacely was more efficient.

USPS vs Fedex and UPS on package delivery----------------------nuff said.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Like say:

a VA hospital vs Mayo clinic-----------------

amtrack vs Burlington northern.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Like say:

One of the problems (and this is a serious post) with measuring performance in the government is that there are few widgets to measure -- and those that we have measure output, not effectiveness or efficiency.

For example, take an enforcement program. Is the measure of effectiveness how many criminals are caught OR the deterrent effect? Obviously, both, but how do you measure the deterrent effect?

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Like say:

USPS vs Fedex and UPS on package delivery----------------------nuff said.

You know what metrics? Because I see NONE in this post.

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Like say:

No metrics here either.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]
and on
and on
and on..................

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

St Judes
MD Anderson
Apple
Microsoft
Facebook
GE
GM
Ford
Budweiser

No they are not.

They are interested in "looking" like they are interested because it helps the bottom line.

If no one gave a shit, they wouldn't either.

so in your small mind all of those corporations are frauds? Really, I bet you have stock in them in your 401K. more hypocrisy from the left. you are a moron, swallow shallow.

Like say:

No metrics here either.

the records are public, look them up.

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

Like say:

One of the problems (and this is a serious post) with measuring performance in the government is that there are few widgets to measure -- and those that we have measure output, not effectiveness or efficiency.

For example, take an enforcement program. Is the measure of effectiveness how many criminals are caught OR the deterrent effect? Obviously, both, but how do you measure the deterrent effect?

If you are going to engage in this type of thread, and be taken seriously? At least know the territory.

I work in the private sector and have to provide, on a bi-annual basis, the rational for my continuing employment.

I do this with metrics..that have real numbers and can be measured.

Or you can just rant about shit.

Like the OP.

keeping the peace [nope]
putting out fires [nope]
vaccines [nope]
GI Bill [nope]
Funding railroads [nope]
employee rights [nope]
FAA [nope]

Profit.

That's it.

It's historical fact.

You really don't want me to get into a rant about how creation of the Senior Executive Service was the worst thing Jimmy Carter ever did, do you?

I offer up as example the entire VA scandal. Throw in a touch of the IRS one, too. Oh, and the EPA spy scandal.

SES allowed the government to be more competitive in attracting executives. Capping at a GS-15 never made sense. Next thing they need to do is pay good SES's more than Congress

Forum List

Back