Can ANY man stand up to the new #MeToo standard?

Never.

I work in Engineering, but I went to school when women were finally penetrating the profession (Chemical and Environmental mostly, Civil, Electrical and Mechanical were still mostly men), and have had women bosses and subordinates. I always mentally separate work from everything else with regards to most topics.

I also try to help the older guys adjust to the new reality as much as I can.

My only fault is that, being an older brother to a sister, I can sometimes become overprotective of my female co-workers if the Contractors (mostly men) treat them poorly.

I almost throttled a contractor PM who berated my permit expediter over the phone over some bullshit.
So...you are mature and have no problems. Is it too much to ask that other adults be the same way?

By some of the rules out there I should have gone after the woman who licked my ear for harassment. Of course I am not an easily offended asshole, so it didn't bother me.

I thought the rules were supposed to be set by the most easily offended person in a given situation, am I not correct on this?
Did you tell her to stop? That it made you uncomfortable? I would have. And if she continued....YES report her.

Lots of things make me uncomfortable, it doesn't make them reportable.

Again, if we decide that the most prudish people get to decide public behavior, we might as well stop interacting with other people totally.

Just look at that kerfluffle over the "ladies lingerie" elevator joke.

You must know that you don't touch other people intimately without permission. This is just basic.
The only people who are prudish are the complete assholes from the "religious" right, who yap and whine at any thought of sex, and particularly at the thought that (gasp!) women are interested in it and do it.
People will pair off. This always happens regardless of sexual orientation. But only some people, the real jerks, go ballistic at somebody demonstrating how to put on a condom.

Your hatred of religious people is noted and derided.

And the person getting vapors at the old "5th floor, sportswear, ladies lingerie" joke I doubt is a member of the religious right.

Never.

I work in Engineering, but I went to school when women were finally penetrating the profession (Chemical and Environmental mostly, Civil, Electrical and Mechanical were still mostly men), and have had women bosses and subordinates. I always mentally separate work from everything else with regards to most topics.

I also try to help the older guys adjust to the new reality as much as I can.

My only fault is that, being an older brother to a sister, I can sometimes become overprotective of my female co-workers if the Contractors (mostly men) treat them poorly.

I almost throttled a contractor PM who berated my permit expediter over the phone over some bullshit.
So...you are mature and have no problems. Is it too much to ask that other adults be the same way?

By some of the rules out there I should have gone after the woman who licked my ear for harassment. Of course I am not an easily offended asshole, so it didn't bother me.

I thought the rules were supposed to be set by the most easily offended person in a given situation, am I not correct on this?
Did you tell her to stop? That it made you uncomfortable? I would have. And if she continued....YES report her.

Again, if we decide that the most prudish people get to decide public behavior, we might as well stop interacting with other people totally.

Someone licking your ear....and you tell them to stop...and they continue....IS reportable harassment.

It was only once and everyone was drunk. Plus it was after work at a non work event.

How can it be reportable under working rules?

Someone licking your ear....and you tell them to stop...and they continue....IS reportable harassment.

It was only once and everyone was drunk. Plus it was after work at a non work event.

As I said....only if you asked her to stop and she didn't. That's totally inappropriate.

As I said....only if you asked her to stop and she didn't. That's totally inappropriate.

But what if somebody watching was offended by it?

Did they let that person know?

I think that there isn't a man alive who could stand up to the new #MeToo standard, which is that you NEVER EVER made a mistake in your life when it comes to a woman.

THERE I said it.

We need to end this witch hunt now.

And by witch hunt- of course you mean go back to the old days when men could sexually harass or abuse women without any fear of consequences.

Tell me why you think that a Harvey Weinstein should be given a pass?

Did they let that person know?

Why does that matter?

THAT is the problem with this whole harassment thing. Again the person who gets the vapors the quickest defines the floor for everyone.

I think that there isn't a man alive who could stand up to the new #MeToo standard, which is that you NEVER EVER made a mistake in your life when it comes to a woman.

THERE I said it.

We need to end this witch hunt now.

The reason it’s so difficult now is because due process was ignored in the beginning.

Allegations have become guilt.

Forum List

Back