Can Atheists be Moral?

We don't think it's brainwashing because we verified it for ourselves.
Haha,no you didn't. You don't help your case by saying stupid shit like this. Just admit it is faith and march under your true flag. Stop trying to put your faith on the same shelf as evidence based knowledge. It will never work. Ever.

How do Christians not see that book is designed to brainwash them through fear and at the same time promise of an afterlife?

They can’t realize it’s wishful thinking?

But then the ones who believe in hell tell us it’s us who are wishing he’ll isn’t true.

It really is brilliant. These lying churches have convinced many smart people too. That’s because smart people are only human too. They wish for heaven and they fear the unknown. And if you get them young you can even brainwash an intelligent human.

We don't think it's brainwashing because we verified it for ourselves. We took the leap of faith and believed in God and he revealed himself to us. It's not just the promise of an afterlife, but God's word; It's always true.

For me, what I could not believe were how long people lived to in the Bible. However, one realizes that things were different in ancient times. People lived longer. It was only after Noah's Flood that we only live to around 120 years. You believe in evolution that people are getting stronger, but they're getting weaker. People in the past were sturdier. I recently studied Wilt Chamberlain and he may have been the greatest athlete of our time. He was a Goliath of a man.

Anyway, what if you were the one brainwashed by universe from nothing (quantum particles), abiogenesis, humans from chimps/apes and so on? The majority of the people in the world would have been brainwashed by Satan, master of lies and trickery.

You're not going to believe me and instead go with the majority, so Blaise Pascal had his philosophy of Pascal's Wager. There's more to it than meets the eye, so I'll post a couple of links.

"Pascal's Wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's Wager was based on the idea of the Christian God, though similar arguments have occurred in other religious traditions. The original wager was set out in section 233 of Pascal's posthumously published Pensées ("Thoughts"). These previously unpublished notes were assembled to form an incomplete treatise on Christian apologetics.

Historically, Pascal's Wager was groundbreaking because it charted new territory in probability theory,[3] marked the first formal use of decision theory, and anticipated future philosophies such as existentialism, pragmatism and voluntarism.[4]"

Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia

Pascal's Wager (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
No I’m not brainwashed. In fact I remain open to all possibilities but the scientific method says question everything and do not trust authority if what they are saying doesn’t pass the scientific test. What you’re saying doesn’t pass.

And what I get from your wager is that you have nothing to lose, better safe than sorry and wishful thinking. I have no fear in what happens after I die. It will be exactly what it was like before I was born. I didn’t suffer.

You literally believe you are a god in waiting? Your soul is immortal? Eternal? Won’t ever get sick or be sad or angry?

That’s some powerful wishful thinking there bro.

God revealed himself to you? The Bible disagrees that you saw any angels or demons or ghosts.

Real quick do you believe in ghosts? Because many people say they’ve revealed themselves but I had two neighbors die in their condos and I sit in the hall begging for one of their ghosts to show themselves. The one guy blew his head off. If anyone would be a ghost it’s him

No I’m not brainwashed.
Of course you aren't.

That is a favored tactic of the charlatan, be he religious or selling snake oil:

Accuse people who reject his nonsense of being "closed minded". When, in reality, it's these religious dogmatists who are completely closed-minded, and the evidence-based thinker who is open-minded.

How do Christians not see that book is designed to brainwash them through fear and at the same time promise of an afterlife?

But then the ones who believe in hell tell us it’s us who are wishing he’ll isn’t true.

It really is brilliant. These lying churches have convinced many smart people too. That’s because smart people are only human too. They wish for heaven and they fear the unknown. And if you get them young you can even brainwash an intelligent human.

We don't think it's brainwashing because we verified it for ourselves. We took the leap of faith and believed in God and he revealed himself to us. It's not just the promise of an afterlife, but God's word; It's always true.

For me, what I could not believe were how long people lived to in the Bible. However, one realizes that things were different in ancient times. People lived longer. It was only after Noah's Flood that we only live to around 120 years. You believe in evolution that people are getting stronger, but they're getting weaker. People in the past were sturdier. I recently studied Wilt Chamberlain and he may have been the greatest athlete of our time. He was a Goliath of a man.

Anyway, what if you were the one brainwashed by universe from nothing (quantum particles), abiogenesis, humans from chimps/apes and so on? The majority of the people in the world would have been brainwashed by Satan, master of lies and trickery.

You're not going to believe me and instead go with the majority, so Blaise Pascal had his philosophy of Pascal's Wager. There's more to it than meets the eye, so I'll post a couple of links.

"Pascal's Wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's Wager was based on the idea of the Christian God, though similar arguments have occurred in other religious traditions. The original wager was set out in section 233 of Pascal's posthumously published Pensées ("Thoughts"). These previously unpublished notes were assembled to form an incomplete treatise on Christian apologetics.

Historically, Pascal's Wager was groundbreaking because it charted new territory in probability theory,[3] marked the first formal use of decision theory, and anticipated future philosophies such as existentialism, pragmatism and voluntarism.[4]"

I’ll address the first two then keep reading. Thanks for the reply.

1. Nothing revealed itself to you. Unverifiable. Plus I believed for 30 years and nothing ever revealed itself to me.

2. People 1000 years died younger than we do. So if you believe people lived longer back in biblical times then why did religious people 1000 years ago die so much younger than we do now? We’re living longer.

So you think people lived till 500 in biblical times, and talking snakes, then they only lived till 60 and since medicine and science were introduced now we live to 100? We’re living longer than we did 100 years ago because of science. Religious people don’t live longer than non religious people. How come you don’t live 200 years?

You can’t prove people lived 300 years ever in the history of man. If you point to your holy book that’s just more evidence it’s bs.

Hindu know it. Muslims know it. Buddhist know it. Mormons know it. And atheists know this is ridiculous.

Book of allegories.
At the heart of the debate is whether spirit created the material world or the material world created spirit. Arguing about the Bible won’t answer that question.
Spirit is just a feeling.

No I’m not brainwashed.
Of course you aren't.

That is a favored tactic of the charlatan, be he religious or selling snake oil:

Accuse people who reject his nonsense of being "closed minded". When, in reality, it's these religious dogmatists who are completely closed-minded, and the evidence-based thinker who is open-minded.
That’s because they’ve been convinced that their ancient holy book was inspired by a god who visited. Hell it wasn’t even written by the original 11 guys who spread the story. Hearsay

And then to tell us he knows god is real because he truly believed and only then did god show himself. What a load of horse shit.

Fact is no god would take credit for any holy book. Not the Koran or bibles or book of Mormons

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International

Of course they can. Religion is not a requirement for morality.

1. Nothing revealed itself to you. Unverifiable. Plus I believed for 30 years and nothing ever revealed itself to me.

2. People 1000 years died younger than we do. So if you believe people lived longer back in biblical times then why did religious people 1000 years ago die so much younger than we do now? We’re living longer.

So you think people lived till 500 in biblical times, and talking snakes, then they only lived till 60 and since medicine and science were introduced now we live to 100? We’re living longer than we did 100 years ago because of science. Religious people don’t live longer than non religious people. How come you don’t live 200 years?

You can’t prove people lived 300 years ever in the history of man. If you point to your holy book that’s just more evidence it’s bs.

Hindu know it. Muslims know it. Buddhist know it. Mormons know it. And atheists know this is ridiculous.

Book of allegories.
At the heart of the debate is whether spirit created the material world or the material world created spirit. Arguing about the Bible won’t answer that question.
No. Spirit is no thing. You being a thing you can’t possibly understand a no thing. It’s more like a mind without a body.

Book of allegories.
No. Spirit is no thing. You being a thing you can’t possibly understand a no thing. It’s more like a mind without a body.
As opposed to you, a body without a mind. :highfive:

Book of allegories.
As opposed to you, a body without a mind. :highfive:
I’ve been called worse. It’s not so bad.

:dance:

Pascal's Wager was based on the idea of the Christian God,

The gist of the Wager is that, according to Pascal, one cannot come to the knowledge of God’s existence through reason alone, so the wise thing to do is to live your life as if God does exist because such a life has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Reason alone can bring us to the knowledge of God’s existence - Furthermore, the knowledge of God is enough to render us all without excuse before God’s judgment.

^ typical christian theology ... it is christian bible theology knowledge of the Almighty is required for their judgement to be rendered - where as Pascals wager is dependent on the opposite, there being a lack of ability to know for sure a god exists.

* didn't the christian god speak to moses ...

so bond, how can pascals wager be in reference to the christian god rather than zeus

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

and the wager does not work with the above forgery anyway.

Nothing revealed itself to you. Unverifiable. Plus I believed for 30 years and nothing ever revealed itself to me.

How can you speak for me when I just told you it happened and that I verified it for myself? That ticks me off. Why don't I tell you what to think? Evolution and evolutionary thinking doesn't happen. It's unverifiable.

People 1000 years died younger than we do. So if you believe people lived longer back in biblical times then why did religious people 1000 years ago die so much younger than we do now? We’re living longer.

Which people are you referring to? Do you have a link? The longevity is provided as history in the Bible.

People lived to be over 900 years old. There are no talking snakes. Satan was using the snake to talk.

You're talking in generalizations. I don't think it's science and medicine that makes us live longer. They help us to be healthy, so that certainly helps. What makes us live longer than someone else is our genes.

We don't live 200 years because after Noah's Flood, there were gamma rays sent by God that shortened our lives.

I think Christianity helps us live longer. Besides creation science helping, we avoid mutations and try to eat organic when possible.

The gist of the Wager is that, according to Pascal, one cannot come to the knowledge of God’s existence through reason alone, so the wise thing to do is to live your life as if God does exist because such a life has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Reason alone can bring us to the knowledge of God’s existence - Furthermore, the knowledge of God is enough to render us all without excuse before God’s judgment.

^ typical christian theology ... it is christian bible theology knowledge of the Almighty is required for their judgement to be rendered - where as Pascals wager is dependent on the opposite, there being a lack of ability to know for sure a god exists.

so bond, how can pascals wager be in reference to the christian god rather than zeus

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Every Christian proves they don’t really believe every time they masturbate. How could you knowing a god is watching and judging

Every Christian proves they don’t really believe every time they masturbate. How could you knowing a god is watching and judging
Exactly. If we really believed that God shares in our experiences then we would behave differently in all things.

But it is a process, not a light switch. Life is a journey filled with ups and downs, backwards and forwards, ebbs and flows.

There are three possible states. We can be moving towards God, we can be moving away from God or we can be static.

We can be moving towards God, we can be moving away from God or we can be static.

that is not true, liberating one's spirit is the objective with a consequence of what spirits likewise successfully accomplished the feat as only an inevitable event where there hopefully is an Almighty that does filter out the evil from functioning in the Everlasting - keeping the initial life template as pure as possible. for future generations and further refinement.

Exactly. If we really believed that God shares in our experiences then we would behave differently in all things.

But it is a process, not a light switch. Life is a journey filled with ups and downs, backwards and forwards, ebbs and flows.

There are three possible states. We can be moving towards God, we can be moving away from God or we can be static.

How are you more moral that me? I mean besides you don't approve of abortion. Any other ways you are more moral?

lol... then you should be doing better judging the morality of an imaginary being in stories written by people who used some very deep and mysterious metaphors and allegories..
I'm not having any issue, merely because your decoder ring fallacy says so.

Yeah, well, lol, your insistence that Yahweh was a meanie says otherwise.

killing thousands of people simply for being gay or having sex sounds pretty "mean" to me.

Did god throw a hissy fit?
a temper tantrum?

has he no self control?
If he is a mythological character in a fairy tale then he didn't do anything. People did,

If you believe that God did these things then you don't believe its a fairy tale and even if you do think its a fairy tale you really need to think a little more deeply about the lessons being taught like any hidden teaching in a fairy tale and the subjects of morality and life and death.

Samson, Son of Meanie, slaughtered thousands of philistines with the jawbone of an ass.

you can call him, the ass, anynameyouwish.

obfuscation, dodging and weaving....

won't help you.

I won't play your game of loony toon semantics.

The god of the bible, fiction or not, is a deranged bastard. Irrational, mean, overly punitive.

I wouldn't worship that turd even if he was real!

I have morals and ethics.

But I understand that chrisitans do NOT have morals or ethics.

Apparently they need a book to tell them who to hate and who to kill.

Without that book who knows what murders they would commit.

Of course you are right. lol.... All that I am trying to tell you that if you think a little more deeply about those fantastical stories than the average Christian you might find an unknown God not directly connected to the literal meanings of the words used that reflects the image of a loving and benevolent father who doesn't care about what you wear or what you eat for dinner, the Father Jesus spoke of, instead of the image of an almighty (yet edible) three in one capricious petty tyrant obsessed with the sex lives of human beings that never existed but for some mysterious reason scares the living bejesus out of Christians which makes them get down on their knees to blubber to for special favors, to worship, and then solemnly eat. :uhh:

Last edited:

Is that why you stopped "believing" after thirty years haha? j/k. Masturbation isn't a sin despite the jokes we all heard or seen, especially that one you scroll down for miles. Jesus will forgive your sins, but you don't have to ask him to forgive you for that.

The big sin would be not believing in God, i.e. having no faith and breaking the 1st commandment, but you are entitled to your new "faith" of non-belief, i.e. atheism.

I admit the Bible is confusing and troubling in the people parts. We've all struggled mightily to understand; I've struggled myself with it. Many people do not understand and turn away from it because others of the same faith interpret it for their own benefit and advocate their own views. The entrance to heaven isn't big pearly gates where groups of people walk in. It's a narrow entrance. Satan works on the believers, as well.

We don't think it's brainwashing because we verified it for ourselves.
Haha,no you didn't. You don't help your case by saying stupid shit like this. Just admit it is faith and march under your true flag. Stop trying to put your faith on the same shelf as evidence based knowledge. It will never work. Ever.

I said I verified it for myself as well as others who did it for themselves. I present the arguments here and in the science forum. Can I help it if you're blind because Satan has pulled the wool over your eyes and tricked your brain?

Atheists can be moral and good (doubtful due to too much temptation), but they still end up having the great sin of disbelief in God and violating the 1st commandment.

Forum List

Back