Can Atheists be Moral?

All animals besides humans, seem to have incredible morals that humans do not follow.

They make sure they are safe, to keep their species alive. They only kill to eat. They don't kill each other.

Any species that kills it's own, is doomed to not last very long.

Only humans want to kill other humans. Why?

I'll tell you why... religion...

Animals do not have religion. But we do, and it's the reason we do crazy shit....

Plenty of people who have no religion kill and do crazy shit too.

How do you explain that?

That's just random crazy shit. But the huge amount of people who kill for crazy shit, are religious. And killing because they think their religion tells them too.

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International
I'm very late in this dance, but I am atheist. But I am very moral. I need no reason to be moral, I just am.

Evolutionist theory would say that every species should be moral, unless they lay millions of eggs. Morality is being nice to your own species so you can survive.

A species that kills their own, unless they lay thousands of eggs, will not survive for the long run.

Being "good" is an evolutionary trait, not a religious one.

There are many examples of animals that aren't "moral", but those are one-off and rare, like humans. Most animals respect this "moral code". Because that is the basis of surviving.
So in effect you are saying that nature has selected the behaviors which lead to success which it has.

In other words morals or the behaviors which lead to success can’t be anything we want them to be because the standards of successful behaviors are independent of man. They exist in and of themselves which they do.
No, you did that. Morals and behaviors are evolutionary traits.
So you are saying nature selected virtue as a successful behavior because it offers a functional advantage? I agree.
I agree too. Species that kill each other for no reason, will not survive very long. It is vital to have a sense of virtue, which all mammals do. Except religious fanatics.

If you're a fish, you can lay a million eggs, and you don't care about 'em because many are bound to survive. You can eat your young.

But mammals, have very few offspring, and they have to protect them. Especially because it takes longer for them to be self-sufficient. They have to care for each other, by evolutionary rules.

But religious rules, says we can kill women and children for fun and giggles! Just because they refuse to believe.

And you cannot deny that that shit happened, in every major religion that we are referring to.

They killed EVERYBODY that opposed them. Men, women, children... and enslaved everybody else! They crucified/burned women and children, and gays, at the stake! Religious folk would stand around and watch and applaud the burnings every week!

They were horrible people!

That's who your ancestors are.... if you still believe in those horrible religions...

They're the same religions today. Nothing changed.

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International
I'm very late in this dance, but I am atheist. But I am very moral. I need no reason to be moral, I just am.

Evolutionist theory would say that every species should be moral, unless they lay millions of eggs. Morality is being nice to your own species so you can survive.

A species that kills their own, unless they lay thousands of eggs, will not survive for the long run.

There are many examples of animals that aren't "moral", but those are one-off and rare, like humans. Most animals respect this "moral code". Because that is the basis of surviving.
So in effect you are saying that nature has selected the behaviors which lead to success which it has.

In other words morals or the behaviors which lead to success can’t be anything we want them to be because the standards of successful behaviors are independent of man. They exist in and of themselves which they do.
So you are saying nature selected virtue as a successful behavior because it offers a functional advantage? I agree.
I agree too. Species that kill each other for no reason, will not survive very long. It is vital to have a sense of virtue, which all mammals do. Except religious fanatics.

What about those black widow spiders, and praying mantis? What about what they do? Who designed all that devilish stuff?

OTOH, they're not mammals.

What about those black widow spiders, and praying mantis? What about what they do? Who designed all that devilish stuff?

lol, and they're women... :)

c'mon think about it.

Nowadays, we look back at the Crusades, the Inquisitions and many other religious wars, and we're horrified by what they did.

But no religious book has been rewritten to say that that shit is not allowable. They're all still the same.

Which means it can happen again, given enough religious people pissed off.

lol, and they're women... :)

I was about to say.........:19: :boobies:

All animals besides humans, seem to have incredible morals that humans do not follow.

They make sure they are safe, to keep their species alive. They only kill to eat. They don't kill each other.
What a load that and following posts are. Just one example, male lions kill any offspring not their own.

Anyway...

tctxt.jpg

What a load that and following posts are. Just one example, male lions kill any offspring not their own.

Yes, because evolution dictates that they should, to help ensure the big lion's offspring survive. It's the odd's on way to go.

Religions say that they should kill children because god says so. And there is no god.

It's a human ruler telling them that "god says so".

I repeat....

Nowadays, we look back at the Crusades, the Inquisitions and many other religious wars, and we're horrified by what they did.

But no religious book has been rewritten to say that that shit is not allowable. They're all still the same.

Which means it can happen again, given enough religious people pissed off.

The proof that there is no god, is the amount of sexual abuse by clergy towards children, that has been ignored and unpunished. By either the higher-ups or by God himself.

The fact that those incredible sinners serving in the name of god have not been smited, is testament to the realization that God does not exist. Or he endorses it... Either way, no bueno....

God, is actually the Devil, you know...

It was reversed from ancient texts. EN.KI was our lord per Sumerian texts (his symbol was two intertwined snakes). But he was miscast as the serpent in the OT. If we had just followed the original shit, we wouldn't have the problems we have today. Because of religions, EN.KI, our creator and savior, became the symbol of evil.

And EN.LIL, the guy who really hated us and smited us, became the "good god".

And ancient groups understand this, and keep it secret. You have to get really high level-wise to understand. See the Brotherhood of the Snake, which became Freemasons.

It's not allowable now to understand the truth, because it will turn over society. Just like aliens landing and setting things straight. It has to be slowly released, like a PSI valve.

All your three trilogy religions are based on EN.LIL being your god. The one who wants us dead.

It's no wonder religions kill each other for fun.

Research EN.KI instead, and learn about what he did for us. And you'll start your journey into reality. He not only created us, he saved us multiple times from the wrath of EN.LIL. But we consider his legacy as the snake, serpent, and devil, because EN.LIL was the ruler.

Last edited:
And fyi, in Babylonian times EN.KI, became EA. EArth is named after EN.KI. Just saying... He's our true god.

But religious people regard his legacy as "evil"! :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back