Can Atheists be Moral?

Part 2:

Here's where I may lose you, but I love you enough to be honest with you even when God's ways are hard for me to understand and accept.

The next logical question (I'll ask it myself to speed this up) is, if we can't be righteous on our own, did God just set us up to fail.

God sent HIMSELF as Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life and then died in the cross for your and my sin (unrighteous acts). By doing so, God (through Jesus Christ) paid the price necessary to redeem us (or save us from our own unrighteousness) and by doing so makes (present tense purposeful) righteous (right with God).

Now here's where it gets crazy.

The gift of salvation (redemption from sin) is a free gift. All one need to do to accept it is to be humble enough to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (essentially choose to believe in him and his ability to save and agree to be directed by him).

Now here's where it gets really crazy.

This gift is an example of God's grace (receiving what we didn't earn and don't deserve), so God offers it to all regardless of what they've done in their past.
So be as wretched as you want but accept Jesus

I'd rather strive to live as well as I possibly can with no illusion that I will be granted eternal life or some such nonsense
I have no illusion either.

But your premise that it’s lip service is flawed. Some people do pay lip service but I’m not sure it is intentional as you seem to imply.

Human nature

Promise everlasting life in paradise if they do as they are told and people will comply
Promise eternal suffering pain and torture if they don't do as they are told and they will do as they are told

Here's where I may lose you, Now here's where it gets crazy. Now here's where it gets really crazy.

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

:wine:

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International
Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can theists be moral?

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu To Be Indicted | HuffPost

The first case accuses Netanyahu of improperly accepting about $270,000 in luxury gifts, such as cigars and jewelry, from billionaires James Packer and Arnon Milchan. Netanyahu allegedly helped Milchan with tax exemptions and other favors. In another case, police believe Netanyahu tried to make a deal to get favorable press coverage in one of Israel’s biggest newspapers in exchange for damaging a rival publication. The third case also concerns Netanyahu allegedly trying to engineer positive press ― this time pushing through regulatory decisions to benefit the country’s biggest telecommunications company, Bezeq, which owns a popular Israeli website.

Can theists be moral?

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu To Be Indicted | HuffPost

The first case accuses Netanyahu of improperly accepting about $270,000 in luxury gifts, such as cigars and jewelry, from billionaires James Packer and Arnon Milchan. Netanyahu allegedly helped Milchan with tax exemptions and other favors. In another case, police believe Netanyahu tried to make a deal to get favorable press coverage in one of Israel’s biggest newspapers in exchange for damaging a rival publication. The third case also concerns Netanyahu allegedly trying to engineer positive press ― this time pushing through regulatory decisions to benefit the country’s biggest telecommunications company, Bezeq, which owns a popular Israeli website.

I can't deal with highly subjective posts.

Part 2:

Here's where I may lose you, but I love you enough to be honest with you even when God's ways are hard for me to understand and accept.

The next logical question (I'll ask it myself to speed this up) is, if we can't be righteous on our own, did God just set us up to fail.

God sent HIMSELF as Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life and then died in the cross for your and my sin (unrighteous acts). By doing so, God (through Jesus Christ) paid the price necessary to redeem us (or save us from our own unrighteousness) and by doing so makes (present tense purposeful) righteous (right with God).

The gift of salvation (redemption from sin) is a free gift. All one need to do to accept it is to be humble enough to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (essentially choose to believe in him and his ability to save and agree to be directed by him).

This gift is an example of God's grace (receiving what we didn't earn and don't deserve), so God offers it to all regardless of what they've done in their past.

I'd rather strive to live as well as I possibly can with no illusion that I will be granted eternal life or some such nonsense

But your premise that it’s lip service is flawed. Some people do pay lip service but I’m not sure it is intentional as you seem to imply.

Human nature

Promise everlasting life in paradise if they do as they are told and people will comply
Promise eternal suffering pain and torture if they don't do as they are told and they will do as they are told
So, what is your excuse? Why did Adam and Eve not listen to GOD ---- clearly it isn't human nature.

do you suppose they would have any religion at all without their self absorbing 10,000 page christian bible
Probably. about 85% of the world is religious, but Christians only account for about 20% of the population.
the desert religions are hopelessly corrupt, a statement for the people that comprise their congregations the majorities that have always ruled ... the ones that abandoned the character jesus are who's descendants eventually wrote the 4th century christian bible in their likeness and debauchery.

as though they are unable to live without sin is an unattainable goal.

any nice girls want to help me try to overcome my "false pride" in modern times?

Do you have any sex toys? Love jelly? :boobies:
no. i have a manual work ethic from the Age of Iron.

i prefer coconut oil, for the health benefits.
Wow. Sounds very manly. Will dinner and drinks be involved or do you want to just get right on down to it Romeo?
it depends on the female intuition involved. some women have good female intuition and some women have lousy female intuition.

besides, you are missing the point. i just want twat, not really really serious.

is equality and equal rights, too much to ask?

Part 2:

Human nature

That hasn’t been my observation.

any nice girls want to help me try to overcome my "false pride" in modern times?

Wow. Sounds very manly. Will dinner and drinks be involved or do you want to just get right on down to it Romeo?
it depends on the female intuition involved. some women have good female intuition and some women have lousy female intuition.

besides, you are missing the point. i just want twat, not really really serious.

Some people... some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say
There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of god's great
Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!…

I'm very late in this dance, but I am atheist. But I am very moral. I need no reason to be moral, I just am.

Evolutionist theory would say that every species should be moral, unless they lay millions of eggs. Morality is being nice to your own species so you can survive.

A species that kills their own, unless they lay thousands of eggs, will not survive for the long run.

Being "good" is an evolutionary trait, not a religious one.

There are many examples of animals that aren't "moral", but those are one-off and rare, like humans. Most animals respect this "moral code". Because that is the basis of surviving.

Humans had to turn that whole idea into "religion", and force people to fight for them based on their religion.

Those weren't morals... Or faith...

Dogs protecting their puppies are morals. Humans protecting their children are morals.

Killing each other over morals, is religions.

I'm very late in this dance, but I am atheist. But I am very moral. I need no reason to be moral, I just am.

Evolutionist theory would say that every species should be moral, unless they lay millions of eggs. Morality is being nice to your own species so you can survive.

A species that kills their own, unless they lay thousands of eggs, will not survive for the long run.

Being "good" is an evolutionary trait, not a religious one.

There are many examples of animals that aren't "moral", but those are one-off and rare, like humans. Most animals respect this "moral code". Because that is the basis of surviving.
So in effect you are saying that nature has selected the behaviors which lead to success which it has.

In other words morals or the behaviors which lead to success can’t be anything we want them to be because the standards of successful behaviors are independent of man. They exist in and of themselves which they do.

Part 2:

Human nature

That hasn’t been my observation.

You do know there is more to anything than just what you have observed don't you?

Some people... some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say
There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of god's great
Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!…

"equal pay for equal work".

i want sex as easily and as conveniently as Any woman can get it.

We know women know how to talk and make appointments.

why do they want "equal pay".

Forum List

Back