Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

The majority of the people are FED UP with the government and the media.

It that's the case, why do the incumbents in congress keep getting re-elected? Something like 94%.

You know, with everybody being pissed off at them.
Because the 'incumbents in Congress/Senate only have to be elected by a very small loyal constituency in their own states.
Congressional/Senates state races are controlled by whichever 'old boys club' has the most money to put up TV ads. Most potential voters are literally so fucking stupid and out of touch with what's happening three blocks from where they live the incumbent just has to go on TV and tell the viewers what a great job he/she is doing and the vast majority will think "If that's the case I don't need to vote".
Then the extremely intense phone calls to those who did vote last time start: "You HAVE TO VOTE! If our boy looses you're brother-in-law's Government gravel hauling contract is in jeopardy!

So from what I'm seeing here, it appears that Trump's supporters are confident he can (a) get things done because of his deal-making skills and the strength of his personality, and (b) get things done that will reflect a consistently conservative agenda.

Is that a fair overview?

Get things done that will be in the best interest of America.

It's not about conservative, it's about what is best for Americans.

Remember Ideology is a means to an end, ie the best interest of Americans.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.

Simple answers are sometimes called for.

And we are not scapegoating others. NOr are we operating from a "dark place".

It is when your leading candidate calls Mexican immigrants rapists and proposes banning all Muslims.

That's really bad.

There are much, much better ways to articulate opposition to immigration and terrorism than that.

Because of this and this alone, I will never support Trump.

There is a problem with crime and Third World Immigration. Being honest about that is not demagoguery or scapegoating others.

There is a problem with Muslims becoming radicalized and we don't know how to filter for that. A "temporary" ban is a reasonable response to that. That is not demagoguery or scapegoating others.

If there are "better ways" to articulate opposition to immigrant criminals and terrorism, no one has picked up that ball and ran with it.

Trump has. He is the best option for those issues available at this time.

What scorn? We both know that was a lie. And I am paying you a compliment. I think you very acutely recognize the most dangerous candidate to your agenda, then mobilize adroitly to attempt to neutralize that threat.

That's exactly what I would do. :thup:

Not sure what you're talking about. People post threads and I comment on them. Someone puts a thread up about Rubio and it gets legs, I'll be there.

Trump poses no threat to Clinton. The GOP has to flip 64 EC votes. He's basically opened up states that were out of bounds in the West (MT and AZ) to the Dems. He will get creamed in Florida, VA, possibly NC.

You are too short sided here. The issue isn't that Trump poses a threat to Hillary, it's the FBI recommending an indictment that will threaten Hillary.

IF there was something, it would have been found by now. There isn't.

Hanging your hopes of victory on whether or not your opponent gets indicted is pretty "terrific" for your opponent.
Haven't you read all of the news articles? Did they not say, after Clinton "wiped clean" (you mean with a rag???lol) her server, the FBI have been able to find all of the emails> And some were even higher than TOP Secret? Look up Uranium One and how Hillary gave away 20% of OUR uranium from a mine to the Russans. That was, of course, after all of the investors donated to the Clinton Fund and Hillary failed to disclose those donations. "MY bad," she said. Nah, nothing found. Nothing on the internet or television.

IF there was something to find, they would have found it by now. We were getting sued at work over and EEOC matter. A very high level executive was being accused. We went through their e-mails and found the material requested in a matter of weeks. As a member of IA, I was on the team doing it.

I'm hoping the FBI and GAO are better at investigating than we were.
Me too! :)

It is when your leading candidate calls Mexican immigrants rapists and proposes banning all Muslims.

You are a lying sack. Trump clearly said a temporary ban on any more Muslims, and far as Mexico, many many criminals come in from Mexico and are committing horrible crimes daily. And, libtard, they are not immigrants they are illegal aliens.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.

That's really bad.

There are much, much better ways to articulate opposition to immigration and terrorism than that.

Was it banning all Muslims or banning until they get thoroughly vetted? He is against illegals, not immigrants. He has the back of US citizens.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

That's really bad.

Was it banning all Muslims or banning until they get thoroughly vetted? He is against illegals, not immigrants. He has the back of US citizens.

Banning until we "can figure out" how to deal with the issue.

Which could be a while.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

Populism, at least in the USA, is not all bad and has provided some good.

Think of Teddy Roosevelt and his trust busting. He was a populist president and did some good.

Think of the many anti-war movements during our history. If only they had prevented FDR from embroiling the nation in WWII, thousands of lives would have been saved. Populism could have prevented our involvement in WWII. The Vietnam War protest movement helped to stop that stupid war. What of the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party? Both offered the nation some good.

So, populism like most political movements is not all bad.
You stupid ignoramus! If FDR hadn't added the USA to the other countries fighting Hitler YOU would be speaking German now.
But not if your family were Jews. Not if your family were negroes. Not if your family came from Russia.
You stupid asshole! MILLIONS of lives were saved when the US helped defeat Hitler. NOT "thousands".
As it was millions of lives were lost fighting Nazi Germany.
You need to grow up and READ A FUCKING WORLD HISTORY BOOK!

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

Think of Teddy Roosevelt and his trust busting. He was a populist president and did some good.

Think of the many anti-war movements during our history. If only they had prevented FDR from embroiling the nation in WWII, thousands of lives would have been saved. Populism could have prevented our involvement in WWII. The Vietnam War protest movement helped to stop that stupid war. What of the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party? Both offered the nation some good.

WWI maybe but not WWII, we were attacked. Hard to avoid going to war over that.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

WWI maybe but not WWII, we were attacked. Hard to avoid going to war over that.

Well, to be fair, FDR was waging economic warfare against the Japanese.

(though I agree a Nazi or Soviet dominated Europe would NOT have been in our interests)

The majority of the people are FED UP with the government and the media.

It that's the case, why do the incumbents in congress keep getting re-elected? Something like 94%.

You know, with everybody being pissed off at them.
Because the 'incumbents in Congress/Senate only have to be elected by a very small loyal constituency in their own states.
Congressional/Senates state races are controlled by whichever 'old boys club' has the most money to put up TV ads. Most potential voters are literally so fucking stupid and out of touch with what's happening three blocks from where they live the incumbent just has to go on TV and tell the viewers what a great job he/she is doing and the vast majority will think "If that's the case I don't need to vote".
Then the extremely intense phone calls to those who did vote last time start: "You HAVE TO VOTE! If our boy looses you're brother-in-law's Government gravel hauling contract is in jeopardy!

That is only partly True. The Tea Party has time and again overcome long money odds and won in Local elections..

There is the second problem of voter apathy. If the voters are not excited and determined to change their Representative or Senator, then it is impossible for it to occur.

An energized voter base. Belief that voting will bring results. Large voter turn out--incumbents begin to piss themselves.

If the incumbents can put out the fire in time, he can skip back to Washington regardless of horrible of a representative of the people he actually is.

Funny how it used to be FoxNews pulling Republican candidates to the right and keeping them in line.....now, even Fox is not conservative enough

I fail to see how a phony Conservative like Trump is beating real conservatives like Cruz and Paul

Sure...and I spend hours replying to Bernie threads telling the Bernie supporters how stupid they are. /sarcasm

You aren't fooling anyone...but keep trying. I wouldn't admit it either.
Are there Bernie threads on the board???

Sure...and I spend hours replying to Bernie threads telling the Bernie supporters how stupid they are. /sarcasm

You aren't fooling anyone...but keep trying. I wouldn't admit it either.
Are there Bernie threads on the board???

A few. Timmy, Jim52 and Billy000 have OPed a couple.

To wit:

How can you give an honest answer without being 'partisan'? I'm a little confused by this issue.
To me, adherence to a partisan ideology tends to distort perceptions, and therefore analysis.

Some partisans are able to step back from their ideology and see the big picture without distortion.

I've seen some of that on this thread.

Mac, here is probably the real answer, although it may not make you happy!

Should we believe MOST of what our politicians say? How about 1/2? Then think beack to the last few/couple of midterm elections, and what did the GOP run on to get elected?

You see, we are all adults, so if they thought some of it was ok, then tell us. If they could not stop or reverse the course of the country with what we gave them in those races, then tell us.

How much of the constitution are we all privy to, and the number 1 question is......should they have been able to with the power of the purse, and following the same senate voting rules Harry Reid did when the Democrats held the majority, after we listened to them, and gave them what they asked for?

So you see, the people in power have created the "Trump desire," not Trump himself. Had they at least tried to follow through, and a voting trick was pulled to derail their governance, then this would be a whole different debate we are having.

Obama is exerting pressure on policy, that either he is not supposed to have, that the GOP says he does not have, and yet, they do nothing! What good is us voting for change in congress, if they run on stopping the change, then do not even try to? And this has been going on how many cycles now, 3? And they have held both houses of congress since January of 15!

To not understand why the GOP denizens are pissed means that someone actually believes that ALL these people we sent to Washington, did what they said they would do.

Again, what has happened to the GOP was inflicted by its leaders, NOT the rank and file. Their arrogance has given the establishment candidates a rough road to hoe. People are proclaiming how we tried it "their" way, and they did NOTHING, when they had the power in their hands.

So the most obvious question than is------>why should we believe what they say now? We gave them a chance like "good little GOPers," believed in the issues they ran on, and all they did is either show that "they are afraid of Obama," or that "congress is useless." If the latter is the case, why would we put one of them in charge to screw us again?

What is the old saying, "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me!" If we allow them to keep screwing us, we are certainly dumber than the Democrats, because they keep getting their agenda put in, because we allow the establishment to run losers and liars against them, and think we have found a winner! And when we do elect one of their rinos, we wonder why the house falls down!

Remember our heroes, lol.

1. Bush senior, read my lips.

2. Dole, a sour pineapple for sure.

3. Mcain, I want to engage in every war imaginable, then wonder why I lost the election.

4. GW, I fought the Democrats on Fannie and Freddie, let them win the debate, and when the whole house came down I got the blame. Brilliant rino strategy for the rest of our guys him. (but thnx for your service during 9/11, few Presidents could have done better)

5. Romney..........kicked Obama's ass in 1st debate, laid down and died because he thought he had sewn up. Creator of Obamacare formerly known as Romneycare, so could not attack the 1 issue that at the time, Americans were must concerned about.

6. And let us not forget who/whom the RINOs really wanted to put up this time around, JEBSTER! A man who can't form a complete sentence without fumbling over his own words, son of a President who couldn't get re-elected against an Arkansas governor, and brother to the President who couldn't defeat the Democrats on Fannie, then had to watch as we melted down!

Why so much Trump/Cruz? I think I explained it all-)

It was hijacked by the Nazi element within it. Today's Republican Party really does resemble the Nazi Party. All the hate and disdain for the least fortunate among us. And the lunatic obsession with starting more wars.

It all started when the Neocons seized control. They're very dangerous people with a Nazi mentality. They want our poor to just die, or even have them locked away in cages. They want them disappeared. And they desperately want to start WWIII. I can't call myself a Republican at this point.

To wit:

I've told you for a long time there is no such thing as a RINO only people that republicans disagree with at the time. They are a knee jerk party who puts more into tough talking and show than substance. I think Bush played it that way great....except people started to believe the show.

Now we have Trump, a literal rich kid who simply says hes a (Maverick, Outsidered, Rebel) Anti Establishment enough with a straight face and all he has to do to strengthen himself is to blame an enemy to create support. Insert Press and Media here. Now maybe my explanation isnt considered calm or you will call it partisan to move on and ignore it....Ironically its the same thing that is happening now. You've been taught that everyone is wrong or partisan or hates your face instead of them might actually having a point.

So now the republicans are being yelled down by their own. It was inevitable. Its like Frankenstein's monster

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

That's really bad.

Is there a difference between saying Mexico is sending their rapists across the border illegally to make them someone elses problem and "calling all Mexican immigrants rapists"?

Is there a difference between calling for a temporary halt to Muslim immigration until we can instate a proper vetting program to identify probable terrorist infiltrators bent of destruction and "banning all Muslims"?

Cuz if there is (and there is a huge difference)...you seriously need to change your information provider.

EDIT: Edited to remove snide comment. Honestly, I try not to get hateful, but these half-truths intended to score political points really piss me off.

Last edited:
So from what I'm seeing here, it appears that Trump's supporters are confident he can (a) get things done because of his deal-making skills and the strength of his personality, and (b) get things done that will reflect a consistently conservative agenda.

Is that a fair overview?
What the country is desperate for is a President who is a proven success as a businessman. Someone who has actually fucking ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING in his life!
The country flirted with the 'First AA' President's Socialist agenda. How did THAT work out??????
Obama had ZERO experience in business, finance, geo-global politics, ME policy. Fucking NIL!
The fucking 'OJ jury' and White guilt soccer moms voted for a fucking 'community organizer' based SOLELY on the color of his skin. OH the sweet irony! The 'OJ jury' and the White guilt soccer moms ended up in worse circumstances under Obama's attempted Socialist wet-dream.
NEVER AGAIN!
This time the country must have a hard nosed 'geterdone! businessman as President.

The GOP has been neutered long ago by career politicians, known as Rinos today....

Forum List

Back