Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

Sure...and I spend hours replying to Bernie threads telling the Bernie supporters how stupid they are. /sarcasm

You aren't fooling anyone...but keep trying. I wouldn't admit it either.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

How can you give an honest answer without being 'partisan'? I'm a little confused by this issue.

This is what happens when you no-longer represent your constituency. When you've sold out to special interests and rich donors.

So you nominate one of the rich donors? It would be like you're pissed at your CEO for not coming out with a new product in 20 years then promoting the head of new product development to the job of CEO because he's funny.
I think you have missed the point. Trump was one of those donors who expected the politicians to perform for him. He knows the game and used it to his advantage. He is quite honest about it, isn't he?
Good to see you are voting for an opportunist.

He is a dishonest person and this is well documented. The reason he is honest about contributions is because it's public record. In my view, if the questions about his contributions had come up after he saw how gullible and frankly blind his supporters are, he would have denied them too. I mean, really, you guys never hold his feet to the fire for anything.

So, if he wins the race and becomes president, the game in the White House stops. He doesn't have the wealthy donors who are expecting him to act for their agenda, he's working for the agenda of all the people.

I don't think many candidates can say that. Even Bernie who I think is basically honest will have favors to give and play the game.

Sure; his days of opportunism are long gone.

His agenda is "telling you what you want to hear" and that is all.
Sorry, sister... he is being honest. Something we don't see often in politics. His opportunist behavior of the past would have been hard to substantiate. He welcomed the opportunity to give examples of a broken process in the political arena. He knew how to use a situation to get what his goal was. Now his goal is the country and it's place in the world again which has been severely negative the past 7 years.

You are such a staunch democrat, it's hard for you to see both sides of an equation.

Now I'm a democrat? :lol:
Uh.... no, staunch Republican. LOL

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

How can you give an honest answer without being 'partisan'? I'm a little confused by this issue.
To me, adherence to a partisan ideology tends to distort perceptions, and therefore analysis.

Some partisans are able to step back from their ideology and see the big picture without distortion.

I've seen some of that on this thread.

sanders finger.jpg

People are apparently lining up to do just that....

Coming from you--Mr. Conservative--I'll take the scorn as a badge of honor as you prepare to vote for the most liberal guy in your party's nomination process.

What scorn? We both know that was a lie. And I am paying you a compliment. I think you very acutely recognize the most dangerous candidate to your agenda, then mobilize adroitly to attempt to neutralize that threat.

That's exactly what I would do. :thup:

Not sure what you're talking about. People post threads and I comment on them. Someone puts a thread up about Rubio and it gets legs, I'll be there.

Trump poses no threat to Clinton. The GOP has to flip 64 EC votes. He's basically opened up states that were out of bounds in the West (MT and AZ) to the Dems. He will get creamed in Florida, VA, possibly NC.

You are too short sided here. The issue isn't that Trump poses a threat to Hillary, it's the FBI recommending an indictment that will threaten Hillary.

IF there was something, it would have been found by now. There isn't.

Hanging your hopes of victory on whether or not your opponent gets indicted is pretty "terrific" for your opponent.

To wit:

You answered your own question. I put it in red, bolded it and underlined it for you. Half your party snapped. Now what on earth made them snap one wonders...
My party?

There is zero chance I'll vote GOP, regardless of which "side" of the party is nominated.

I'm very hopeful Jim Webb runs.

Why so many don't understand what an independent is remains a mystery to me.

Well, you missed it, very early on in this thread. I don't think anyone can make it anymore simple for you. Alas, it will not be enough for you....

People looked to the GOP, to push back 11,000,000 Illegal Aliens... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the wars that it started... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs overseas... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to turn around the economy it wrecked... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to make trickle-down economics work... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to rescue the Middle Class... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the Obama Social Reengineering juggernaut... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to provide equitable tax reform for all... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to streamline the government... and it failed to do so.

People have come to the conclusion that Republican leadership is almost as full of shit as Democratic leadership.

But, there's really no point in trying to launch a Third Party, the way things are now.

So.. the Pubs find themselves with a Populist Rebellion on their hands...

People are shoving aside the existing (Establishment) party leadership, gutting the party, and making it their own, as it once was, back when it deserved the name G(rand) O(ld) P(arty), before the Corporatists hijacked it in the early 20th Century...

And, of course, the party Ruling Elites don't know whether to shit or go blind or wind their watches... they don't have a clue how to get out of the dog-house with their rank-and-file...

In the long run, a turn towards Populism is probably a good thing... it's actually quite unwise, to allow the Swells to get too comfortable in their roles...

This is, after all, supposed to be a government OF the People, BYthe People, and FOR the People...

Consider the present Populist Rebellion to be a long-overdue Market Correction...
wink_smile.gif

So you nominate one of the rich donors? It would be like you're pissed at your CEO for not coming out with a new product in 20 years then promoting the head of new product development to the job of CEO because he's funny.
I think you have missed the point. Trump was one of those donors who expected the politicians to perform for him. He knows the game and used it to his advantage. He is quite honest about it, isn't he?
Good to see you are voting for an opportunist.

He is a dishonest person and this is well documented. The reason he is honest about contributions is because it's public record. In my view, if the questions about his contributions had come up after he saw how gullible and frankly blind his supporters are, he would have denied them too. I mean, really, you guys never hold his feet to the fire for anything.

So, if he wins the race and becomes president, the game in the White House stops. He doesn't have the wealthy donors who are expecting him to act for their agenda, he's working for the agenda of all the people.

I don't think many candidates can say that. Even Bernie who I think is basically honest will have favors to give and play the game.

Sure; his days of opportunism are long gone.

His agenda is "telling you what you want to hear" and that is all.
Sorry, sister... he is being honest. Something we don't see often in politics. His opportunist behavior of the past would have been hard to substantiate. He welcomed the opportunity to give examples of a broken process in the political arena. He knew how to use a situation to get what his goal was. Now his goal is the country and it's place in the world again which has been severely negative the past 7 years.

You are such a staunch democrat, it's hard for you to see both sides of an equation.

Now I'm a democrat? :lol:
Uh.... no, staunch Republican. LOL

Sad you think it's "either/or"

I'm independent.

I wish I had two choices nationally but one party (the GOP) disqualifies itself out of the box with it's nominees. When you want to get rid of Roe, that ends it. I'm a values voter because I think both major parties are out to lunch fiscally. I mean, we have liberals who will not vote down funding for PBS. If you won't do it when you're $17T in debt, when do you pull the plug. The GOP wants new destroyers and aircraft when what we have is generations ahead of anything else out there. Both parties have added to the debt; both parties have blamed the other. Nobody has clean hands. So I look for values.

There, the candycorn infomercial is over.

So from what I'm seeing here, it appears that Trump's supporters are confident he can (a) get things done because of his deal-making skills and the strength of his personality, and (b) get things done that will reflect a consistently conservative agenda.

Is that a fair overview?

Coming from you--Mr. Conservative--I'll take the scorn as a badge of honor as you prepare to vote for the most liberal guy in your party's nomination process.

What scorn? We both know that was a lie. And I am paying you a compliment. I think you very acutely recognize the most dangerous candidate to your agenda, then mobilize adroitly to attempt to neutralize that threat.

Not sure what you're talking about. People post threads and I comment on them. Someone puts a thread up about Rubio and it gets legs, I'll be there.

Trump poses no threat to Clinton. The GOP has to flip 64 EC votes. He's basically opened up states that were out of bounds in the West (MT and AZ) to the Dems. He will get creamed in Florida, VA, possibly NC.

You are too short sided here. The issue isn't that Trump poses a threat to Hillary, it's the FBI recommending an indictment that will threaten Hillary.

Hanging your hopes of victory on whether or not your opponent gets indicted is pretty "terrific" for your opponent.
Haven't you read all of the news articles? Did they not say, after Clinton "wiped clean" (you mean with a rag???lol) her server, the FBI have been able to find all of the emails> And some were even higher than TOP Secret? Look up Uranium One and how Hillary gave away 20% of OUR uranium from a mine to the Russans. That was, of course, after all of the investors donated to the Clinton Fund and Hillary failed to disclose those donations. "MY bad," she said. Nah, nothing found. Nothing on the internet or television.

Well, you missed it, very early on in this thread. I don't think anyone can make it anymore simple for you. Alas, it will not be enough for you....

People looked to the GOP, to push back 11,000,000 Illegal Aliens... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the wars that it started... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs overseas... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to turn around the economy it wrecked... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to make trickle-down economics work... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to rescue the Middle Class... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the Obama Social Reengineering juggernaut... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to provide equitable tax reform for all... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to streamline the government... and it failed to do so.

People have come to the conclusion that Republican leadership is almost as full of shit as Democratic leadership.

But, there's really no point in trying to launch a Third Party, the way things are now.

So.. the Pubs find themselves with a Populist Rebellion on their hands...

People are shoving aside the existing (Establishment) party leadership, gutting the party, and making it their own, as it once was, back when it deserved the name G(rand) O(ld) P(arty), before the Corporatists hijacked it in the early 20th Century...

And, of course, the party Ruling Elites don't know whether to shit or go blind or wind their watches... they don't have a clue how to get out of the dog-house with their rank-and-file...

In the long run, a turn towards Populism is probably a good thing... it's actually quite unwise, to allow the Swells to get too comfortable in their roles...

This is, after all, supposed to be a government OF the People, BYthe People, and FOR the People...

Consider the present Populist Rebellion to be a long-overdue Market Correction...
wink_smile.gif

Not sure why you're quoting me on that. I thought it was a very good post.

But you'll see 90+% of Congress re-elected, a handful of Senators losing their seats, and likely a member of the Congress (one of the Congresses anyway) who is responsible for the $17T debt get promoted to President.

IF you're supposedly "fed up" with your party, you don't vote 9 of 10 of them back into office. Right?

So from what I'm seeing here, it appears that Trump's supporters are confident he can (a) get things done because of his deal-making skills and the strength of his personality, and (b) get things done that will reflect a consistently conservative agenda.

Is that a fair overview?
And making America safer, more prosperous for our citizens, yes. I think that is fair. However, some of his leanings are more liberal, which may be what is attracting cross over Democrats.

Haven't you read all of the news articles? Did they not say, after Clinton "wiped clean" (you mean with a rag???lol) her server, the FBI have been able to find all of the emails> And some were even higher than TOP Secret? Look up Uranium One and how Hillary gave away 20% of OUR uranium from a mine to the Russans. That was, of course, after all of the investors donated to the Clinton Fund and Hillary failed to disclose those donations. "MY bad," she said. Nah, nothing found. Nothing on the internet or television.

IF there was something to find, they would have found it by now. We were getting sued at work over and EEOC matter. A very high level executive was being accused. We went through their e-mails and found the material requested in a matter of weeks. As a member of IA, I was on the team doing it.

I'm hoping the FBI and GAO are better at investigating than we were.

To wit:

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.

Simple answers are sometimes called for.

And we are not scapegoating others. NOr are we operating from a "dark place".

It is when your leading candidate calls Mexican immigrants rapists and proposes banning all Muslims.

That's really bad.

There are much, much better ways to articulate opposition to immigration and terrorism than that.

Because of this and this alone, I will never support Trump.

Forum List

Back