Capitol Building Architect Removes Disgraceful and Disgusting Pig Cop Painting

You actually drew/embrace the notion of there being a verisimilitude between artistic depictions of cops and Confederates? Really? I'm not sure whether police forces should be thrilled that their actions have been elevated to that level of importance as goes the continuity of the union of states, or whether they should me incensed over being liked to Confederates.
Clay wanted the Confederate memorial taken down, as disrespecting blacks. He has no such compunction about a painting hung in our Capital that disrespects every law enforcement officer in our country. I don't see where your confusion comes from. Free speech via symbols is free speech if we like or not, isn't it?

Well, here's the painting.

Painting-of-Cops-as-Animals-640x480-640x480.jpg

Boars in artistic imagery are associated with masculinity in its extreme manifestations such as: aggression, courage, struggle, blood lust, intemperance, gluttony, immorality and debauchery. With that in mind, I certainly understand why a painter, especially a black painter, might anthropomorphise boars as cops.

As for the painting making a blanket statement about all law enforcement officers, well...What I see is "boar cops" holding guns and a non "boar cop" not holding a gun, but seemingly upholding the law all the same. Accordingly, I'm not convinced the painting depicts every law enforcement officer as a boar.

I also see the image of death -- the crow/raven -- headed into the scene as hope -- the dove -- heads out. The two "birds" are on the "porcine side" of the image, which suggests the painter aims to correlate the visiting of death and departure of hope with the "boars." That seems to reinforce the notion that it's not all cops who deserve to be vilified as boars.

On the other side of the picture, I see the stylized "personage of justice," which appears to be crucified on a green cross of sorts. I can also fathom interpreting that piece as being symbolic of black men being crucified by or in the name of a putrid (vomit green cross shape) justice (system?). The man's greater physical size -- bigger than any single individual -- relative to the other characters in the image suggests he and his cross do indeed represent the system and the extent to which it has become jaded.

The cop on the right side of the picture looks somewhat askance from what his colleagues are up to. He can obviously see what's going on, but he's not concerning himself with it either. One might say his body stance suggests he's shying away and just doesn't want to be involved, perhaps in part because he lacks the personal or institutional power -- as portrayed by his diminutive stature in comparison to his colleagues who occupy roughly the same foreground space in the frame -- to justify his taking a more prominent role.

Lastly, one sees a clear contrast between the "right hand" cop who interacts with another human being and the porcine cops suspect whom is depicted as being treated like a dog. That distinction too suggests to me that the painter did not at all intend to say that all cops are pigs. The painter's message is, among other things, that some cops are boars. (I suspect the homonym connection with boor is also in play.)
Nicely done. I can't argue with your analysis; I stand corrected. There was a lot of thought put into the picture. Maybe the artist should speak up. Or should have spoken up, before it was decided to take it down. It certainly gives the "pig" front and center status, though, doesn't it? Just like the unfair representations of black people by the racist community, labeling one labels all in some people's minds. I see their side of it, too.

I hope a few of the posters here take the time to read your comments on the painting. Doubtful, I fear.

You actually drew/embrace the notion of there being a verisimilitude between artistic depictions of cops and Confederates? Really? I'm not sure whether police forces should be thrilled that their actions have been elevated to that level of importance as goes the continuity of the union of states, or whether they should me incensed over being liked to Confederates.
Clay wanted the Confederate memorial taken down, as disrespecting blacks. He has no such compunction about a painting hung in our Capital that disrespects every law enforcement officer in our country. I don't see where your confusion comes from. Free speech via symbols is free speech if we like or not, isn't it?

Boars in artistic imagery are associated with masculinity in its extreme manifestations such as: aggression, courage, struggle, blood lust, intemperance, gluttony, immorality and debauchery. With that in mind, I certainly understand why a painter, especially a black painter, might anthropomorphise boars as cops.

As for the painting making a blanket statement about all law enforcement officers, well...What I see is "boar cops" holding guns and a non "boar cop" not holding a gun, but seemingly upholding the law all the same. Accordingly, I'm not convinced the painting depicts every law enforcement officer as a boar.

I also see the image of death -- the crow/raven -- headed into the scene as hope -- the dove -- heads out. The two "birds" are on the "porcine side" of the image, which suggests the painter aims to correlate the visiting of death and departure of hope with the "boars." That seems to reinforce the notion that it's not all cops who deserve to be vilified as boars.

On the other side of the picture, I see the stylized "personage of justice," which appears to be crucified on a green cross of sorts. I can also fathom interpreting that piece as being symbolic of black men being crucified by or in the name of a putrid (vomit green cross shape) justice (system?). The man's greater physical size -- bigger than any single individual -- relative to the other characters in the image suggests he and his cross do indeed represent the system and the extent to which it has become jaded.

The cop on the right side of the picture looks somewhat askance from what his colleagues are up to. He can obviously see what's going on, but he's not concerning himself with it either. One might say his body stance suggests he's shying away and just doesn't want to be involved, perhaps in part because he lacks the personal or institutional power -- as portrayed by his diminutive stature in comparison to his colleagues who occupy roughly the same foreground space in the frame -- to justify his taking a more prominent role.

Lastly, one sees a clear contrast between the "right hand" cop who interacts with another human being and the porcine cops suspect whom is depicted as being treated like a dog. That distinction too suggests to me that the painter did not at all intend to say that all cops are pigs. The painter's message is, among other things, that some cops are boars. (I suspect the homonym connection with boor is also in play.)
Nicely done. I can't argue with your analysis; I stand corrected. There was a lot of thought put into the picture. Maybe the artist should speak up. Or should have spoken up, before it was decided to take it down. It certainly gives the "pig" front and center status, though, doesn't it? Just like the unfair representations of black people by the racist community, labeling one labels all in some people's minds. I see their side of it, too.

I hope a few of the posters here take the time to read your comments on the painting. Doubtful, I fear.
Unfortunately most people have tunnel vision when it comes to art..They have no idea of imagery or artistic intent...

It's a warthog, idiot.....

Unfortunately most people have tunnel vision when it comes to art..They have no idea of imagery or artistic intent...
I don't think this kerfluffle has much to do with art or its appreciation, Moon. It's all about button pushing. Eric Bolling who "broke" this story on Fox offered to buy the painting if it were removed. I hope he does, and gives it to an appropriate museum or space where it can be appreciated without a lot of pols hyperventilating over it.

That's IT? All you can summon from that post?

It certainly gives the "pig" front and center status, though, doesn't it?

TY for the compliment.

Yes, it does. There's no question in my mind that the central theme is that of maltreatment by bad cops'. I think that, frankly, very "busy" painting -- the busyness corresponding to the fact that there's more to the story that we know is there but can't exactly see clearly, much like most of what's not in the immediate foreground before us in the image -- has a sense of sympathy too, not only for the good cops, but also for the folks caught in the middle -- they're right down the center of the picture -- and yet feeling pressured on all sides by the police -- you'll notice the cop cars at the rear of the image.

That said, it's a piece in which one must invest some time in order to "get it." In this day and age of compressed timescales, rushed lifestyles, and Twitter and its 140 characters of superficiality and oversimplification, I'm not sure how many folks are willing to invest themselves into that picture. Perhaps, though, not any picture. As you know from having read a few of my posts, I'm a "long" poster. I can't reasonably expect that of everyone just as they can't expect that I'll boil it all down to 140 characters.

For all that I think about the painting's message, one I think deserves to be "heard," I can understand both sides of the Congressional dictum that prohibits currently controversial images and messaging from being displayed in the Capitol's main public spaces. I happen to have a different opinion on the matter, but nobody there has asked for my opinion. LOL

To say nothing of the fact that any male swine that hasn't been castrated is a boar. So it can be a warthog; that doesn't change a thing.

What's telling is that in his effort to get pedantic about it, whoever that person is has shown just how damned ignorant s/he really is, and yet s/he says I'm the idiot. Well, from where I sit, s/he can run with that....maybe they can even convince themselves it's true....It doesn't matter to me what that nitwit thinks of me. How could it? I don't think of him/her at all.

Warthogs are more aggressive than pigs.

They are basically wild, feral pigs.

Anyone arguing that the painting is NOT critical of police because they are portrayed as WARTHOGS instead of PIGS is a dipshit.

To say nothing of the fact that any male swine that hasn't been castrated is a boar. So it can be a warthog; that doesn't change a thing.

What's telling is that in his effort to get pedantic about it, whoever that person is has shown just how damned ignorant s/he really is, and yet s/he says I'm the idiot. Well, from where I sit, s/he can run with that....maybe they can even convince themselves it's true....It doesn't matter to me what that nitwit thinks of me. How could it? I don't think of him/her at all.
I just thought it might prompt him to read the rest. Or not. Ignorance is curable.

Anyone arguing that the painting is NOT critical of police because they are portrayed as WARTHOGS instead of PIGS is a dipshit.
I don't think anyone was arguing that. Maybe I'm missing something...

Is someone actually arguing that? If so, yes, they're a dipshit.

All warthogs are pigs, but not all pigs are warthogs. How does that simple idea escape someone?

I don't think this kerfluffle has much to do with art or its appreciation, Moon. It's all about button pushing. Eric Bolling who "broke" this story on Fox offered to buy the painting if it were removed. I hope he does, and gives it to an appropriate museum or space where it can be appreciated without a lot of pols hyperventilating over it.

If Boling buys it, its going in his fireplace...as it should.

I just thought it might prompt him to read the rest. Or not. Ignorance is curable.

I don't necessarily agree with you on that -- I think it's curable like some types of cancer -- but far be it from me to dash your optimism. I do believe in God and miracles have happened.....

MY big question is, do they taste as good? I know in the south they hunt them.

Is someone actually arguing that? If so, yes, they're a dipshit.

All warthogs are pigs, but not all pigs are warthogs. How does that simple idea escape someone?

Some Looney Toon snowflakes have argued that point.

Forum List

Back