Cats now killing billions of other mammals

And that is why cats need to be spayed and neutered. It is also why catching and spay/neutering feral populations is important.

Cats will be cats.....

We need to educate people about cats. They really do not need to roam and have much shorter lives if they're allowed. They're less healthy and often killed by dogs, cars or disease.

I used to disagree with TNR and believed it best to trap and euthanize feral cats. I've since learned that feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations, thereby not adding to the death rate of wildlife. BUT, they need to have people who are committed to altering, vaccinating and feeding.

Keeping cats inside and altering keeps everyone happy. Cat lovers and wildlife.

We need to educate people about cats. They really do not need to roam and have much shorter lives if they're allowed. They're less healthy and often killed by dogs, cars or disease.

I used to disagree with TNR and believed it best to trap and euthanize feral cats. I've since learned that feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations, thereby not adding to the death rate of wildlife. BUT, they need to have people who are committed to altering, vaccinating and feeding.

i agree...

all of my cats will never know the feel of grass and they were all neutered before 12 weeks of age. They are indoors only.

The average lifespan of my furry sweetnesses has been about 17 years...made possible by neutering them and keeping them indoors with the rest of the family : ))

i agree...

all of my cats will never know the feel of grass and they were all neutered before 12 weeks of age. They are indoors only.

My house cats are all "fixed". Most are declawed, too. I started allowing them outside last summer, but only in a special "yard" just for them. Because I do support a feral colony, I don't want any cross contact. Ferals are pretty territorial. I do monitor the health of the colony by taking in a member occasionally for a vet check and blood work. So far, the colony is healthy. I don't have any mice eating my grain and food supplies in the barn anymore, either. Cats: healthy. Mice: not so much!

i agree...

My house cats are all "fixed". Most are declawed, too. I started allowing them outside last summer, but only in a special "yard" just for them. Because I do support a feral colony, I don't want any cross contact. Ferals are pretty territorial. I do monitor the health of the colony by taking in a member occasionally for a vet check and blood work. So far, the colony is healthy. I don't have any mice eating my grain and food supplies in the barn anymore, either. Cats: healthy. Mice: not so much!

The trick to keeping your colony up is to have at least half to most of them spayed and neutered every season.

i agree...

The trick to keeping your colony up is to have at least half to most of them spayed and neutered every season.

Something I would gladly do if it were affordable. Even with the litter rates my vet gives me, spaying and neutering my ferals would be cost prohibitive. Besides, they appear to have a pretty solid structure. I usually have just one female that raises a litter, the kittens stay around the first year and disperse after that. Well, some of the young females seem to stay around. If more than one queen kits, they appear to form group nests and all mothers care for the kittens. The population remains stable, overall. Because I feed them and provide lots of fresh goat milk, they stay healthy physically, but their natural attrition keeps them from "exploding". They have much shorter lives than my house cats (who live 15-18 yrs on avg), but they are well cared for.

On average, I believe wind turbines have the cats bested.

Yep!
It's the new blame game to make up for the deaths of birds by wind turbines.
Cats have been killing birds, mice and rats since they have been around for about 6,000 years.
Still have never seen a shortage of any of birds, rats or mice by cats.

I like the fact that my colony of barn cats is proficient at their job. They keep those small, highly destructive mammals at bay. That's what I pay them for.

When I lived in Nevada, out in the desert, cats were used for scorpion control. Cats bite their heads off faster than the scorpion can strike. It is just this kind of pest control that is a large part of the billions of deaths attributed to cats. Mice, insects and keeping the bird population in check. The last time a city wanted to eradicate cats it was London and they ended up with the plague.

Is it proper to blame the crazy environmentalists for another round of idiocy? These are the same people who want an end to hair removal because body lice is an endangered species. You decide.

Thanks. I was going to create a thread about this until i stumbled upon yours. I heard on the radio about cats destroying biodiversity in New Zealand & the guy down there wanting them to GTFO!!! :D

yep. all these rw cat ladies on the board think kitties are just all fun and games & cute to look at

Staggering Stats: Cats Kill Billions of Animals a Year - Yahoo! News

Could a Cat Ban in New Zealand Save Birds? | LiveScience

They're a menace. One article mainly blames feral cats as the primary culprits.

What kind of statistics on bird deaths from wind turbines have you seen?

The accurate kind. And they aren't kind.

Cool. Why don't you let us see them, too?

The accurate kind. And they aren't kind.

Cool. Why don't you let us see them, too?

That would be nice Mr. H :) POST IT ASSWIPE!!!

You two seem to have a thing going here. Which one's peas and which one is carrots?

Forum List

Back